coming out

• August 31, 2005 12:05 PM BST
    Well i have wanted to come out now for ages but i don't know how i should go about it. i'm finding it difficult mainly because of my job, it's not the kind of job that is very accepting in these kinds of things.
  • August 31, 2005 2:11 PM BST
    Deanne
    This could be one of the most difficult steps you ever make. I actually came out at work before coming out at home. The work side made it a lot easier for me at home and helped because I had been thinking about leaving that damn closet.
    Let me explain the work situation.
    I worked for the Ministry of Defence in central London in a mixed uniform/civilian environment. One day while talking to a female colleague she, out of the blue, asked, "A are you a crossdresser?". I was struck dumb for a few seconfds and then replied, "Yes I am, and Im proud to be one B. However I call myself a transvestite rather than a crossdresser." She started at me with a facial expression crossing between utter disbelief and great relief. I continued, "Do you mind telling me why you asked that question? I hope you will be as honest with me as I was with you." "Well there are a few things whichshow up around the building," she said. She then continued to explain that I always founfd time to speak to the junior female staff as a friend rather than as a senior staff member, that I easily joined in "girlie type" conversations. It was also noted that I looked at the female members of staff with an enquiring eye rather than a lecherous one. She said, "Now we know why, you wanted to know if our clothes would suit you, didn't you?"
    After this i wss taken out at lunch time to local dress shops with thenm and became their own personal expert. Within weeks they were admiring Junes pictures. Then one day a male civvy asked what had happened to my screen saver. When told that I got fed up with Kylie Minogue he said "Wow. And do you prefer your sister now?". Then he looked a bit closer at the image on my screen "Blimey your sister has the same glasses as youuuuuu. That's you isn't it?" So now male and female colleagues knew about June.
    The tragic part was the uniformed side finding out. Insults were passed my way, guarded not open. My office door nd cloakroom locker had "Shirt lifter", "paedo," and similrar derogatory remarks written on them. The Navy didn't like a tranny in their midst, although they all find femme gear for crossing the equator.
    Also my civilaian line manager (located in a different part of the country to me) couldn't accept an addball in his team and made working conditions very hard for me.

So Deanne be careful however you go about outing yourself.

June
    xx
    • 1980 posts
    September 5, 2005 4:17 PM BST
    H Deanne-

I also work in a similar situation where there is a low level of tolerance for alternative lifestyles. In fact when you walk in the place just reeks of testosterone. I am only a few months away from retirement, so it makes it easy for me to avoid the choice altogether. If I were staying I probably would have to make a very difficult decision as to whether or not to continue as I am or come out.

Perhaps you can do as some girls I know do, simply be your girlself in your offtime. This is a choice that really only works in a large metropolitan area though and even then you never know when you will run into someone you know unexpectedly and then the jig will be up. The only thing I can suggest is to find out if your workplace has a policy governing gender issues or if there are applicable state laws governing the situation. Many large companies have policies dictating no harrasment or discrimination in these matters. This doesn't mean they will be adhered to by individuals or enforced if you should make a complaint.

I don't think there is any easy answer. You need to evaluate everything about your own situation, weigh the potential benefits to you and the possible repercussions and decide what to do. Maybe a change of occupations or work situations is in order.

Good luck to you in whatever you choose to do. I wish you my best.

Hugs...Joni