new girl on the block

• 37 posts
    November 22, 2005 7:52 PM GMT
    hi everyone! my femme name is gabrielle, i'm new to this site but not dressing (all be it in secret)that has been happening as long as i can remember, i'm now 37, but have been invited out by two wonderful ts girls. wot i need is any hints or tips about makeup mainly but anything else would b greatfully recieved. i have blue eyes, dark hair and a long face with no real features(strong cheek bones etc)
    • 37 posts
    November 22, 2005 9:48 PM GMT
    thanx 4 your reply mere i just need some helpful tips b4 i venture out in the big wide world
    • 37 posts
    November 22, 2005 10:24 PM GMT
    yes Mere that's me but that makeup job was done by professionals i need something more me everyday, as 4 clothes i've got good legs, well i think so, and like short skirts but feel that i'm 2 old 4 them need a new look 2 go out and about in. i'm slim, size 8-10 but 5' 10"
    • 37 posts
    November 23, 2005 10:28 PM GMT
    wendy
    what do u mean by skin tone? if you're asking the shade of foundation that matches then i use maybelline dream matte mousse 040 fawn which seems a pretty close match. it all seems very confusing 2 me but i suppose in time with pratice it'll become easier but i'm not really convinced not really that arty
    • 37 posts
    November 24, 2005 9:19 PM GMT
    how or where could i find out my skin tone and how could i find out wot shade of foundation best suited me, if i went 2 a chemist 2 have a makeover done would they be able 2 tell me or would there b conflicting views
    • 2463 posts
    November 22, 2005 8:35 PM GMT
    Hi Gabrielle, and welcome to our little corner of insanity! There are two rules you must follow:

1. Never say a certain word beginning with the letter "u" before I had my coffee in the morning, especially if I haven't had my psycho medication (to make it stronger, not weaker)

2. Any and all LBDs shall become property of the MSS (Meredith's Secret Service)

Other than that, you're free to do as you please!

So, let us get to know you. You say you have no real features? I bet you look just fine. How can we help?

Mere
    • 2463 posts
    November 22, 2005 10:03 PM GMT
    How do you want to look? What do you plan on wearing? I can't help much with makeup tips, though. Please check out some of the other forums here and you just might find a thread that addresses some of the issues of interest to you.
    • 2463 posts
    November 22, 2005 10:07 PM GMT
    Gabrielle, is that your piccie in your profile? You look so cute! Don't put yourself down!
    • 2463 posts
    November 22, 2005 10:34 PM GMT
    It doesn't matter to me if it was done by pros. You still have very nice features.

I'm not much older than you, and I love short skirts and dresses (and have the legs for them). Don't let your tender young age keep you from them.

Okay, girls, how do we help out Gabrielle?
    • 2573 posts
    November 23, 2005 12:51 AM GMT
    Gabrielle,

You missed the most important thing. What is your skin tone? This is the basis for everything you do. Get it wrong and you look awful, and it doesn't take being much off your skin color for the most careful job to look bad. You can use two tones of foundation/powder/blush to contour your face and give it more features. This takes a bit of practice.

Oh, yes, practice, practice, practice is the key to good makeup skills. Get Seventeen/Cosmo/Elle and play around with different makeup styles. Makeover software that lets you put your face in is helpful. If you have a digicam, get pics of yourself. It will look more real than a mirror to judge your results.

Don't go too heavy on makeup. Light blue eye shadow almost never works. Sometimes navy, as mascara or eyeliner, can look good.

There are some good makeup books/CDs/videotapes on doing TG makeup. A beauty school textbook could be a big help.

Anyway, it should be fun, so enjoy learning....and show us your results
    • 1980 posts
    November 23, 2005 2:14 PM GMT
    Hi Gabrielle-

Welcome to the group, girl, I hope you like it here. I love your name, one of my best g-girl friends is named Gabrielle.

As Wendy said, one of the key things is to practice, practice, practice and not be afraid. None of it's permanent, after all, it all washes right off, so don't be afraid to try new things. One thing I will say with that in mind, is to buy less expensive makeup when you're just beginning. Lots of stores sell items aimed for teenage girls and so on and you can often find very good prices. Then once you find a look you like you can duplicate it with more expensive makeups. Not that more expensive is necessarily better but usually it's kinder to your skin and does a better job.

As Wendy said, there are lots and lots of places on the web for ideas, products and tips. One of my favorites is Kevyn Aucoin's site, just do a search on his name and you should find it. Here's another I like because she does a great job of showing step by step how to do it:

http://www.asiacarrera.co[...]me.html

(You can ignore the boob shot right at the beginning or not, whatever. They just make me jealous.)<lol>

And of course, you can always go to a makeup counter and get a makeover from one of the artists there. I have done it a few times, from full makeover to just my lips or my eyes. Everywhere I've gone they've been very helpful and never batted an eye. The unspoken assumption is that you will buy something while you're there but you're really under no obligation, of course.

One last thing, while I'm rambling on and on as usual, is that it's easy to get confused, there are so many products and makers out there, they all make claims for all sorts of things and it can be hard to sort them out. While makeup is magical in a way, there is no product out there that will turn in a sow's ear into a silk purse just like that. As an old sow's ear, I know what I'm talking about, believe me.

And as far as rules about makeup go, they're just guidelines, more or less or else just opinion. For everything you read you will find an opposite opinion somewhere else. "Don't use your fingers to put on foundation, always use a sponge, else you'll get streaks." "Always use your fingers to put on foundation, you can do a better job that way." Blah, blah, blah. Just find what works for you and don't be afraid to play around. It's all about having fun, after all.

Good luck, Gabrielle. Hope you have a great time when you go out.

Hugs...Joni
    • 2573 posts
    November 24, 2005 5:41 PM GMT
    That's close, gabrielle. I have a fair skin with peach undertones and use an Ivory foundation. I got a beige once, because it was all they had. It looked close....until I got it on my face. Looked awful. Kept the beige for shadowing. I understand that the best thing is to have makeup custom mixed for your skin color, but you obviously have to be fairly "out" for that. I was lucky enough to have a gg friend with identical skin color.
    • 1980 posts
    November 27, 2005 12:08 AM GMT
    Hi Gabrielle-

I think your question was directed at Wendy, but I hope you don't mind if I chime in. Foundation and powder should be as nearly the same as your own skin tone as you can find, they should blend in and look as though you don't have any on at all, being neither noticably lighter or darker than your skin. You can use the back of your hand to try it on, or better still, since our hands sometimes get a bit more sun, the skin along your jawline if there's a mirror handy.

If you go to a department store cosmetics counter, the girls (or guys, for that matter) there will be happy to find a color that matches your skin tone. Lots of times they will have samples out that you can try. I don't mind trying open samples for things like concealer, foundation, blush and powders but am very careful not to put on anything for my eyes, you never know where the fingers of the last person to try it may have been. Getting an infection on your face is kind of hard unless you have an open cut or something, but your eyes can easilly get infected.

As I mentioned before, one trick my wife taught me is to buy less expensive makeups to mess around with and to try out different looks, then when you find something that works for you, you can upgrade to a more expensive product if you want. Expensive isn't always better, of course, but usually the more upscale products do a better job of going on nicely and lasting longer and not irritating your skin and so on.

Good luck and have fun.

Hugs...Joni

PS And I agree with Meredith, you are very pretty and have a lot going for you.