My coming out

• January 22, 2006 3:28 PM GMT
    Hiya all, new here at TW, but been a girl a long time! I think i started dressing when i was around 6 or 7 yrs old in sisters stuff.. always played with the girls in th neighborhood, especially my 2 best friends both girls, we played barbies and house and... well.. Anyways was never into the boy things.... but about high school age growing up did the guy thing since it seemed i had to.. later married, had 2 kids both boys, but the marriage didn't last of course, college, work etc. finally in the 90's starting going out dressed with other t*-girls and loved it... but took 'til 1999 before i "Came out" and honest with family and friends. I was scared to death but did it. Family actually took it better than i thought, as well as kind of expected it i found out later on.. kept some friends, lost some.... made new ones. That year for New Years at my parents New Years Party i came in dress... And it went okay. A lil nervous for me and all there i think as well, but after a bit went well...

I think more of the scared and rejection was in my head before hand from thinking , wondering, and all of how bad it could go, i really think i scared myself into waiting longer than i had to to come out to them. With my family i got lucky as they are supportive of it ! My ex knows, as well as my boys who are both grown now and eventough my oldest "accepts" it.. he's not real supportive, nor do i ask him to be.. My youngest thinks it's wonderfull, told me he's never seen me happier.
    Now... seeing the Doc and Pshyc and going through the transitions... long way to go yet, but happy now!

I know I was blessed with a great family and am lucky. The last place to come out with is at work, which with my job will resualt in end of employment, so holding off coming out there, and keeping the changes hid until the day i can't anymore, because it's a great paying job with excellent medical, and right now need that transitioning.. I'm also saving in a seperate account for when i do become unemployed so that i have enough to live on for a couple years going through all and finding new job as a female. The best laid plans can often fail, but trying to plan and prepare as much as possible for the future.... And i'm glad to be a part of TW now as well!!!

well that's my story, now you all know a bit more about me!

~Valerie
  • January 23, 2006 12:05 AM GMT
    Thanks Meredith & Joni !! *hugs* I really do like it here and hope to become a long time member! *Smiles*

~Valerie xx
    • 374 posts
    January 23, 2006 5:43 PM GMT
    Hi Valerie and welcome aboard Thanks for telling us a bit about yourself. Sounds like you have been through quite a lot but life is good for you now. It sure helps when you have family behind you. I'm sure you'll be able to offer some good advice to some of the girls here that want to come out but are worried about the fall out. Hope to meet you in chat soon.

Hugs & kisses,

Monika

• January 24, 2006 10:08 PM GMT
    Thanks Monika and Catherine!

Hope to talk to you both more soon!!!!

*hugs*

~Valerie xx
  • January 27, 2006 2:20 AM GMT
    Hiiya All

Well to continue the story a bit to the present, today as a matter of fact,.... I got a phone call from my Psychiatrist today, She told me in the last session she wanted to have me go to another Psychiatrist as i am at her limits of knowledge on transgender related things... And she had one in mind that specializes in transgendered people,and is very active in the Cleveland transgendered population, and would be more help in getting me all the way to my goal,. I hate leaving the one i have now as she has been so understandign and such a sweetheart... But she says she want's me to have the best that my medical will cover ( and i have good medical coverage ) .
    When i got home tonight there was already a call from this new Psychiatrist's office saying they had recived a copy of all my records from her, and wanted me to call to set up an appointment...

I'm going ot have to get her a gift for being so caring! *Smiles*

Somedays are just golden!!!!

~Valerie xx
    • 773 posts
    January 27, 2006 4:27 AM GMT
    Valerie, we are so happy to have you here with us.

I am very much looking forward to sharing some time with you in the land of the buckeye. I know you will be a fabulous guide to the Cleveland/Columbus area, and that we will be great friends.
    • 2463 posts
    January 22, 2006 7:17 PM GMT
    Hi Valerie, and welcome to TW. You'll love it here. Everyone is so nice. Except for me, of course, if I haven't had my morning coffee. Other than that, I'm harmless.

Thanks for your comments.

Mere
    • 1980 posts
    January 22, 2006 11:58 PM GMT
    Hi Valerie-

I would like to echo Meredith's sentiments in welcoming you to TW and also thank you for sharing your story with us. I hope you like it here on TW, it's a great place for girls like us.

And Meredith is fibbing in her post, well maybe the part about not having her morning coffee might be true, but the part about everyone being nice except for her is a big fib. Meredith is one of ths nicest, sweetest girls you could ever hope to meet.

Hugs...Joni
    • 2463 posts
    January 23, 2006 5:02 PM GMT
    Gosh, I'm blushing. Thank you.

And welcome to all our new members.
  • January 23, 2006 7:14 PM GMT
    Hi Valerie, welcome to the show! Congratulations on coming out to your family - it's more than many of us manage.

As you'll have gathered, there are a lot of very nice people on this site. Maybe it's something to do with the long-term effect of dressing up! I agree with Joni, Meredith is a wonderful person, and so is Joni – I haven't met either of them yet but their general niceness and consideration comes out in their posts and emails.

The site is a good place to find support when things go wrong – as they inevitably do in our world from time to time. So enjoy yourself, and if any of us can help with anything, just ask.