Coming Out to My Brother

• February 1, 2006 8:57 PM GMT
    This a copy of a letter I'm sending to my brother. He doesn't know anything about my transition. He's 10 years older than me and we haven't been close at all but that's from his side not mine.
    I've wanted a realationship with him but he's not very good at talking about anything besides politics and business.
    I'm telling him this now becaue I don't want to hide from any one, any more. Once he receives this letter then everyone will know.
    My grand parents and mother and father have all passed away long ago so he is my only family. I would like to maintain a relationship with him but only if he can recognize , accept and support me than we'll move forward, if not then there is nothing of interest there for me.
    I welcome all comment.

Dear Bob,
    For many years I have hoped for a deeper and more connected relationship with you. I'm not sure we'll ever get there but when and if we do I want it to be with the real me. Therefor, I want to tell you the real me is now called Renee.
    Since I was a young boy I was attracted to all things feminine. I took a special interest in mother's clothes and when ever I had the chance I would play dress up in them and pretend I was a girl.
    I soon learned that this was not acceptable behavior and as I grew up I tried to ignore this part of me and even hoped it would go away. It never did and at times the shame and guilt was overwhelming. I have spent much of my life questioning, researching and trying to understand what this was and what it meant.
    Many years later, with the help of Sandi and my close friends and community I've finally come to a peaceful place.
    For the past two years I've lived and presented myself as a woman. Please know that this is a cause for celebration because I'm happier and more content than I ever dreamed possible and I'm surrounded by people who love and honor me.
    Sandi's huge family of four brothers, their wives and children have lovingly and tenderly embraced my transition and now refer to me as "she". I love them all and feel blessed to become part of their family and they feel the same about me.
    As you know, Sandi an I are getting married next September 23rd and it would be wonderful if you could come and join the festivities. We'll have about 100 people. Half will be Sandi's family and the other half are close, beloved friends.
    It would be lovely if you could join us. It will two days of celebrating our love and future together. It will also be a celebration of our love for our family and friends.
    I know that this news is a huge surprise to you and I'm not certain of how you will receive it. It's possible that you may never talk to me again or even see me or perhaps you'll call and want to talk about it and try to understand and support my decision. I'll be happy to answer all your questions if you do.
    I just don't know what you'll think and I confess that it makes me a bit nervous. I do know that if you decide to come to the wedding, then it's important for me that you come because you love me and support me and wish to part of a loving celebration for Renee and Sandi and our life together.
    Should you decide that you do not want to attend and that this is all just too strange for you then I'll understand, however you'll miss a most wondrous time and the chance to see me in the most beautiful dress!

Love to you both
    Renee

• 1980 posts
    February 2, 2006 1:51 PM GMT
    Hi Renee-

That was beautiful. I wouldn't change anything, you spoke from your heart and told the truth, what else is left to say? I wish you and Sandi the best in your life together and I hope you receive a positive response from your brother.

Hugs and best wishes...Joni
    • 2463 posts
    February 2, 2006 3:53 PM GMT
    The best of luck to you. I have seen in more than one place that writing a letter describing our situation is a good idea. I might be doing that soon myself.
    • 2573 posts
    February 2, 2006 3:53 PM GMT
    I agree, Rikki, it is soooooooo beautiful. You could not have done a better job writing that letter and it is up to your brother now. There is a time we have to say "accept me and, if you can't and need to go, then go with my love and know you can always come back."