Blank Page Syndrome

• 10 posts
    May 12, 2006 9:35 PM BST
    Does anyone else suffer from this, I'm forced to use a dial-up connection (joys of living in the middle of nowhere) and pages can take a very long time to load, especially in the forums, sometimes I am just left staring at a blank white screen despite IE's status bar telling me its 'done'

• 338 posts
    May 28, 2006 8:38 PM BST
    the trannyweb pages are built using whats known in techy lingo as 'html tables', if you don't know what this means consider yourself lucky.

as sarah has meantioned turning images off will help, basically with a page in a table the browser has to load *everything* before it can show *anything* (this is really a bug in the internet as a whole), as such with your dial up the browser has loaded the page (hence the 'done' message) but it still has to load all the graphics etc and work out how to show them. hence the wait.

it can be worth running 'task manager' (right click the task bar at the bottom of the screen in windows) and have a look at network activity, this will show you if anything is being downloaded.

another cause of this is 'javascript' where a page is encoded and your machien has to work out how to show it...