Transgender History: pre-Stonewall, 1777-1968

• February 21, 2007 7:12 AM GMT
    Part of developing my local AlbertaTrans website has been compiling a more through transgender history than exists online. I thought some might be interested to read, so I'll try it out here. If you know of anything I missed, please let me know. Otherwise, I hope that you enjoy discovering some of the interesting (and sometimes sad) tidbits of our history.

Broken into three parts, because of length. The next two will follow later, if there is interest.

-- Mercedes

1777 -- French spy and diplomat Charles-Geneviève-Louis-Auguste-André-Timothée Éon de Beaumont (October 5, 1728 - May 21, 1810), usually known as the Chevalier d'Eon is allowed to return to France on the condition that she live and dress as a woman. Earlier in 1756, the Chevalier had posed as a woman for several years to gain the friendship of Empress Elizabeth of Russia. Throughout her life, there would be ongoing speculation as to the Chevalier's physical gender, which would be determined as male after her death (the predominant opinion had previously been that she was female).

1860 -- Herculine Barbin is studied by her doctor, who discovers that the intersexed woman has a small penis, with testicles inside her body. Barbin is declared legally male against her wishes, becomes the subject of much scandal for having previously taught in a girl's school, moves to Paris but continues to live in poverty, and ultimately commits suicide in 1868.

1865 -- Dr. James Barry dies, and is discovered to have female sexual characteristics. He had been a surgeon with the British Army, and had been passing as male since at least 1809.

1872 -- Eugene Schuyler visits Turkestan and observes that, "here boys and youths specially trained take the place of the dancing-girls of other countries." The Bacchá are androgynous or cross-dressing Turkish underclass boys, trained in erotic dance, but also available as prostitutes. This tradition continues until around or shortly after WWI.

1907 -- Harry Benjamin (January 12, 1885 – August 24, 1986) meets Magnus Hirschfeld (May 14, 1868 - May 14, 1935) for the first time. Although it would be some time before Benjamin would actively research transsexuality, the two men would become the field's pioneers.

1910 -- Magnus Hirschfeld coins the term "transvestite."

1919 -- Magnus Hirschfeld founds the Institute for Sexology in Berlin, Germany. This would be the first clinic to serve transgendered people regularily and develop their study.

1920 -- Jonathan Gilbert publishes Homosexuality and Its Treatment, which includes the story of "H," later revealed to be a Portland physician. Dr. Alan Hart "transitioned" by having a hysterectomy and proceeding to live as male, in 1917. The lesbian community would later proclaim Hart to be a pioneer and classify his decision to live as a man as being an accomodation to social prejudice and coercion by a heterosexual doctor, rather than accepting any explaination of transsexuality. However, an examination of the central characters in Hart's novels reveals many of the common themes and feelings that transsexuals experience.

Although a few surgeons had already carried out some incomplete sex reassignment surgeries previously (primarily removing the existing sex organs, not creating new ones), 1920 also saw the first complete surgeries for MTF transsexuals. These took place at Magnus Hirschfeld's Institute for Sexology by Drs. Ludwig Levy-Lenz and Felix Abraham.

1923 -- Recognizing some of the differences from transvestites, Magnus Hirschfeld introduces the term "transsexual."

1920s and 1930s -- Carl Jung proposes the idea of Animus and Anima, that every male has some of the feminine in his unconscious (Anima), and every female has some of the masculine (Animus).

1928 -- Virginia Woolf's novel Orlando: A Biography is published, chronicling the story of a man who decides not to grow old. He doesn't, but he awakes one day in the body of a young woman, and lives out a lifetime as her before waking as a man. The remaining centuries up to the time the book was written are seen through a woman's eyes.

1930 -- Marlene Dietrich (alternate link; Marie Magdalene Dietrich von Losch; December 27, 1901 – May 6, 1992) moves from German Cabaret to American film with her debut in Morocco. As the '30s progress, she becomes infamous for dressing in male attire, and gradually brings this penchant to fashion and film -- ultimately making it acceptable for women to wear pants and other masculine forms of clothing. Reportedly, she was quite persistent on changing into male attire offstage, and rumors circulated of lesbian relationships -- although she has never been fully established as identifying as male.

1930 also saw the transition of Lili Elbe, formerly Einar Wegener, a Danish painter and the first publically-known recipient of an SRS surgery. This became a major public scandal in Germany and Denmark, and the King of Denmark invalidated her marriage that October. She was fully intent on being someday able to conceive a child, and this drove her surgeons to try far-reaching techniques -- she actually endured five surgeries in this process (the first was to remove the male genitals, the second to transplant ovaries -- although she did have underdeveloped ones of her own -- the third was unspecified, the fourth to remove the ovaries due to serious complications and the fifth being a "vaginaplasty"). She died in 1931, probably from complications from her final surgery, although rumors persisted that she had faked her death in order to live in peace.

1931 -- Dr. Felix Abraham publishes Genital Reassignment of Two Male Transvestites, detailing those first MTF SRS surgeries in 1923.

1932 -- Harry Benjamin arranges a speaking tour for Magnus Hirschfeld in the United States.

1933 -- A few months after Hitler assumed power in Germany, the Institute for Sexual Science is vandalized and looted by a mob of Nazi "students." On May 6th, its archives of books, photographs, research documents and more are burned publically in Opera Square. The physicians and researchers involved with the clinic flee Germany, or in some cases commit suicide, unable to otherwise escape. Magnus Hirschfeld had moved to Paris by this time, and dies in exile in Nice, of a heart attack on his 67th birthday.

1938 -- Di-Ethyl Stilbestrol (DES) is introduced into chicken feed as a means of increasing meat production. Later, it is marketed to pregnant women as a "vitamin" to help prevent miscarriages (an unsubstantiated claim). Prescriptions for this purpose ceased in 1973, because by the 1970s, this drug became linked to endometriosis, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer and infertility in female children, and more recently to intersex conditions and transsexuality.

1941 -- Premarin® (conjugated estrogens from pregnant mares) is first marketed in Canada (the U.S. follows in two years).

The phrase "drag queen" first appears in print, although it had been used as theater and gay culture slang as early as the 1870s. It is thought to be a shortening of "dressed as girl," versus the alternately used "drab," from "dressed as boy."

1942 -- Dr. Harry Klinefelter first diagnoses Klinefelter's Syndrome, a condition caused by a chromosome nondisjunction in males; affected individuals have a pair of X sex chromosomes instead of just one, and are associated with additional risk for some medical conditions. Patients with Klinefelter's Syndrome can be (but are not always) characterized by effeminate appearance, sterility, some gynecomastia and occasional transgenderism.

1946 -- The Garden of Allah opens in the basement of the Arlington Hotel, in Seattle's Pioneer Square. It is not the first gay cabaret club, but becomes fairly well-known and is chronicled in the book, An Evening at the Garden of Allah: A Gay Cabaret in Seattle.

1948 -- Harry Benjamin is introduced by Alfred Kinsey to a boy who wants to become a girl, and whose mother seeks a treatment to assist, rather than thwart the child. The following year, he begins treating transsexuals in San Francisco and New York with hormones. The Institute for Sexual Science had not previously done this; the treatment was entirely new.

1952 -- Christine Jorgensen (May 30, 1926 – May 3, 1989) is "outed" to the American press, and becomes the subject of great controversy. Her surgery had been performed two years earlier by Dr. Christian Hamburger in Copenhagen, Denmark. She hadn't wanted to become a public spectacle, but spent her remaining years educating people about transsexuals.

1953 -- Ed Wood Jr.'s film Glen or Glenda appears, providing a surprisingly sincere attempt to understand transgenderism, despite its bizarre and schlocky B-movie trappings. Purportedly inspired by Christine Jorgensen. Wood would later become rather famous in Hollywood circles as being a transvestite.

1955 -- Dr. John Money, a psychologist, writes the first of many papers in the Bulletin of the Johns Hopkins Hospital which will establish for him a reputation as a pioneer in the field of sexual development, and a proposes the theory that gender identity develops primarily as a result of social learning from early childhood.

Dame Edna Everidge (alternate link) first appears in a Melbourne comedy revue in 1955. At this time she is known as "Mrs Norm Everage". She goes on to become an Australian figure of note in the 1990s.

1958 -- The first Phalloplasty for gender reassignment purposes is performed by Dr. Judy T. Wu in Bratsk, Russia. Previously, the procedure had only been devised for men who had experienced amputations, particularily during WWI. Phalloplasty would not become very refined until the 1970s, when additional aspects such as a pump for creating erections would be devised for injured Vietnam veterans.

1960 -- Virginia (Charles) Prince begins publishing Transvestia Magazine. She also founds Los Angeles' Hose and Heels Club and another organization that develops into Tri-Ess ("The Society for the Second Self"). These organizations are thought to be the first modern transgender support groups, and the magazine is the first publication for and by transgender people. She proceeds with a strong belief, however, in "heterosexual crossdressing" (i.e. crossdressers who are only attracted to women) and excludes "gay" or "bisexual" crossdressers from her groups, as well as transitioning transsexuals. Prince eventually goes on to live full-time as female, but Tri-Ess still does not allow full membership for gay men or MTF transsexuals to this day.

1965 -- David Reimer is born (named Bruce, by his parents). The following year, his penis is burned up to the base during a circumcision accident. He was taken to the Johns Hopkins Medical Center in Baltimore to see John Money. Money recommended that Reimer be raised as a girl. An orchidectomy was performed, and Reimer was raised with the name "Brenda."

1966 -- Harry Benjamin publishes The Transsexual Phenomenon. Although he hadn't coined the word "transsexual," it became the term of choice following this publication.

Johns Hopkins Medical Center opens the first Gender Clinic, under John Money's guidance. Although Money's beliefs and writings cause severe damage with regards to intersex children and gender reassignment at birth, he also champions gender reassignment surgery (SRS) in adults, and the clinic becomes the mecca for gender transition. Much of the surgical work from this time would pioneer SRS techniques. Money's legacy would be a mixed blessing / curse to the transgender cause.

Mid 1960s through the '70s -- Reed Erickson (1917 – 1992) founds the Erickson Educational Foundation, which supports many research projects that don’t fit into the usual catagories of grants... parapsychology, dolphin / human communication, human potential movement, and transsexuality. Erickson's financial support makes much of the work of Harry Benjamin, John Money's Gender Clinic at Johns Hopkins Medical Center possible.

1968 -- The International Olympic Committee (IOC) begins chromosome testing of female athletes, effectively banning transsexuals and some intersexed individuals (some of whom were fertile as female, with children) from competition, until 2002.

Universities also begin opening clinics for treating transsexuals; the first surgeries are performed on non-intersexed transsexuals.
  • February 24, 2007 9:05 PM GMT
    More coming up. Part 2 of 3 has just been posted. I'll probably post the 3rd on Monday -- I go in for surgery tuesday (not that surgery, unfortunately), so I'll get it done before then.

Lucy Diamond wrote:
    "I wonder if it would be possible to go back earlier than the 18th century; I’ve heard plenty of suggestions that ancient cultures experienced various forms of transgenderism."

There is more, but getting specific dates and events is difficult, and getting verifiable information is even harder. I just received a pile of notes to go through, but not for awhile. (I notice that the info says that Native Americans called transfolk "berdaches," which is not true -- that term was a European invention)

John Money was definitely a polarizing figure on the scene. Many loved him; equally as many hated him. Most responsibly-practiced psychology takes into account biology, conditioning and choice. Any time someone strays from that triad and emphasizes one above all else -- and is then taken seriously -- a lot of social damage gets done.

Wendy Larsen wrote:
    "I suspect that Money's work in SRS for adults has helped more people than his work with children harmed."

I'm afraid the Intersex community would considerably differ with you on that. David Reimer's story in part 2 is not unique.

However, you're probably correct: mistakes were probably inevitable en route to the current state of things.
    • 16 posts
    February 26, 2007 1:11 PM GMT
    Hi Mercedes, thanks for all the fascinating information. Am looking forward to your next posting…..

Coincidentally there’s currently an ‘Out in Time’ exhibition on in London’s Dockland Museum till March 9th. The exhibition features sections on key transsexuals through history.
    Its a shame you're so very far away, I'm sure you'd really enjoy it; sounds like just your sort of thing.

• 1652 posts
    February 25, 2007 12:33 AM GMT
    “…social pressure molded my gender identity”
    I don’t believe social pressure moulds one’s core gender identity, rather it affects how one feels about it, and therefore what one does about it. I think what you go on to say, Wendy, perhaps goes on to specify that this is what you are really getting at. At least I hope so. I’d agree that social pressures etc have a huge influence on how one feels about one’s self and therefore how one goes on to live their life. In my case such social pressures led me to try to conform to the social norm for many years, all the time knowing full well it didn’t feel right for me. With some, it can have even more disastrous consequences; these pressures can tear people apart, oppress their true selves, force them to live a life as someone else, perhaps not even quite knowing who they really are, what their true gender identity is. The subconscious, working in concert with the sort of social pressures we used to have 20+ years ago, can change a person entirely, even without their knowing it. This powerful combination of forces at work can ruin people’s lives.
    I’ve found that the only way to deal with such social pressures, and how they influence your true nature, is to face them head on. Turn the faucet, release the pressure, sort yourself out. Yes, society still has problems with the likes of us, but nothing like as bad as we might think. The real problems lie within us all; if we’re not happy with our own identity it’s no use blaming society, all we can do is re-present ourselves in a way that gives us our own peace.
    It works for me. I no longer have a problem with myself, and society doesn’t have a problem with the new me. I function better in this role, and believe that I am better accepted by society as a result. Yes it’s true, despite constantly being read as TS, I am actually better accepted by society.
    If you feel pressured by society, perhaps it’s time to put some pressure on it instead; just be yourself, it’s the only way to be.
    xx
    • 1980 posts
    February 21, 2007 12:41 PM GMT
    Thank you, Mercedes.

Hugs...Joni Marie
    • 1652 posts
    February 23, 2007 12:36 AM GMT
    That’s really interesting, Mercedes, well done.
    Ah, Dr John Money, “…proposes the theory that gender identity develops primarily as a result of social learning from early childhood.” Such a foolish theory…
    I wonder if it would be possible to go back earlier than the 18th century; I’ve heard plenty of suggestions that ancient cultures experienced various forms of transgenderism.
    I just got back from Charing Cross today, apparently the largest (in number of patients treated) gender clinic in the world. Glad there are no Dr. Moneys there..
    All in all, we’ve come a long way.
    xx
    • 2573 posts
    February 24, 2007 3:37 PM GMT
    Please, Ms Mercedes, may I have some more?

I have no love for Dr. Money. He is the sort of arrogant person that can do more harm than good. However, I have to say that while I do not believe that gender identity is PRIMARILY a result of social learning, I have to say that social learning can definitely be a strong factor in gender identity. The further from the pink end of the spectrum you are, the stronger it can be. It will not change the underlying basic gender identity of the brain, but it can bury it in **** ****.

I personally can see, in retrospect (and was aware at the time of the social pressures thought not the significance), that social pressure molded my gender identity. I am fairly certain, left to my own, un-pressured, devices, that I would have probably selected a much more feminine and non-violent lifestyle. However, the emotional and physical pressures placed on me by my father and my peers, not to mention the strong Christian influence in New England (kids left school one afternoon a week for religious education and fish was always the lunchroom fare on Fridays), combined with a near total lack of information on my condition, certainly caused me to select the wrong gender role for me. No, one can not ignore the influence of social learning. In the vacuum of learning on TG/TS issues of that time, the error is not as foolish as it appears today. However, it was made without proper study. The question then becomes....what kind of study would not have damaged the lives of those involved in it. "Sorry group A, we were wrong and we screwed up your life but you have the satisfaction of knowing that you helped future generations and made Dr. X famous." I suspect that Money's work in SRS for adults has helped more people than his work with children harmed. Would we think more or less of him if he had done nothing for either group, claiming he did not want to make a mistake? I still don't like the man or his methods. I don't like defending him. But the idea of social influence in other areas is valid. (Cannibalism seems acceptable if you are raised by cannibals). What they lacked is knowledge of the neurobiological forces at work in some cases.
    • 2573 posts
    February 25, 2007 4:30 AM GMT
    Carrying side discussion, on social pressures effect on self-perception of gender identity, to it's own thread....so as to not distract from this excellent thread.

http://gendersociety.com/perl/community/cforums.cgi?forumid=9810124245322&postid=9990249625633&action=messages&threadid=9990249625633&start=&
  • February 26, 2007 12:28 AM GMT
    Thank you, Mercedes, for a very interesting thread. On the basis that those who give names to things are worth remembering, I'd single out Magnus Hirschfeld from your history. I can't think of a better word than "transvestite" to describe what I am.

I'd recommend the book "Normal?" by Amy Bloom. The first part of this is a study of female-to-male transsexuals. She goes into a lot of detail on what the surgery involves and its cost. She too mentions the Reimer story, and the infamous Dr Money.
    • 2573 posts
    February 26, 2007 1:21 PM GMT
    Sorry,

here's the link "hot"

Carrying side discussion, on social pressures effect on self-perception of gender identity, to it's own thread....so as to not distract from this excellent thread.

http://gendersociety.com/[...]start=&