Coming out while job searching questions.

• 62 posts
    March 29, 2008 2:43 AM GMT
    Hi, this isn't a situation I am currently in but more of a question on a what if. As well a tiny question added about transitioning as a whole. I hope you will indulge me with your knowledge and opinions!

I am not ready for job searching and am still in college finishing up my degree, but this pertains to that area of life.

Lets say I am graduated and looking for a job. I am probably on HRT at this point but no op. I either am dressing full time or close to it. Now I know you cannot change your records to say that you are female unless you actually go through SRS I believe.

Question 1: Can you fill out applications with the answer "female" if it is not physically/surgically accurate?

Question 2: (Answer this considering the person is going full time or soon will be) Can/Should you legally change your name to your femme name pre-op or even non-op?

Question 3: This question has multiple dimensions.

Situation one: Your records state you are male and retain your masculine name. Do you apply as your feminine name and dress en femme to your interview should you have the intention of working as your feminine self from day 1?

Situation two: Same situation except your name is legally changed. (The other option being to apply as your masculine self and be interviewed as such. Following this, come out to your employer and begin work as your feminine self.)

I'm sorry if this is way out there and irrelevant to some, but its a curious question of mine as I am currently in the process of seeking counseling. Past that I can see the possibility of living full time (possibly with the aid of HRT should I come to that informed decision). This living full time might potentially come around the imminent months after graduation in the part of life where one seeks a job/career. So it is more like research for what might potentially be a situation for myself in the future.

Thanks for all your help!

If you have an questions to which the answers would help you give me better advice, please feel free! As I have found this new home very welcoming and exciting, I check it frequently through out the day.

<3 Angelyn
    • 62 posts
    March 29, 2008 5:59 PM GMT
    Thanks for the response, Rose!

Well this was more of a hypothetical question for several reasons.

I have not seen any psychologist or therapist yet. I am in the process of finding one to see.

As for desiring to transition; right now I feel like that that is the direction I am heading towards, but I want to see someone just so I can have someone help sort me out and help me make the best decision for myself.

As for transitioning before graduating, that depends on when I decide to transition. Right now I live in a house with 3 of my guy friends. I don't know how well they'd take my coming out so I'm considering not living full time til I graduate (where I can move out on my own).

I've heard you can have your college records changed especially if you have your name legally changed. I don't know if thats fully true nor how hard that is to do, but its something to consider as well.

Picture wise, that is me. It was done at one of those picture studios and an ex-MAC make-up artist did the application. My SO seems to think I could pass just fine with some attentive shaving and skin care (and of course if I ever start on hormones, that will help immensely as well).

Thanks for your thoughts, Rose!

<3 Angelyn
  • March 29, 2008 1:51 PM GMT
    Depends a lot on where you are geographically? Some states very difficult for transgenders now?
    As for the name change etc you have to ask yourself how deeply you feel your transsexualism - if its only mild and you can work in male and be female in leisure you could live like that but if you feel you must transition eventually you need to be thinking about creating another persona that is female and use that when you graduate and look for work. But then that might be cause problems with college paperwork/degrees etc being in male name...
    But then you say you see posibility of maybe living fulltime! Do you want to or don't you? Have you been sorted by a psyhco or similar to clarify your ideas?
    If that pix is the real you then you could easily go female now and finish college as female and have little problem with work and life.
    What does the college HR and career guidance say about the chances/problems of transitioning before leaving college?
  • March 31, 2008 9:03 AM BST
    Hi..its a lovely pix.
    I'm not sure about all the name changing on degrees and stuff in the US...ask around.

Good luck with whatever you decide.