Debut!

• February 14, 2010 9:05 PM GMT
    I debuted for the first time about three weeks ago, and have gone out fully dressed once every week since! It was the most amazing sensation, such a liberating feeling, as though the weight of all worries had been lifted at once. My former girlfriend took me on a date to an Italian restaurant dressed as me, while I dressed as her in a knee-length, poofy polka dot dress, grey cardigan and pearls! I FELT BEAUTIFUL, AND A GIRL SAID "I LIKE YOU OUTFIT!!!" I was on a cloud the rest of the evening. We were theoretically doing it for an experiment in norm-breaking for her sociology class, but that was really only an excuse to keep me from exploding, as I have been looking forward to this day FOR YEARS!!! ahhhh. I haven't been able to go to class dressed up yet, because I don't own a pair of flats and it's been cold, but I feel so empowered right now that I don't think anything could bring me down!

:-)

Just wanted to share.
    • 157 posts
    February 14, 2010 9:55 PM GMT
    Way to go Stan!

All I did for my norm-breaking assignment for sociology class was wear red nail polish for the day. I even wore it over to my mother-in-laws who did not say a word.

Hugs

Jeri
    • 105 posts
    February 16, 2010 12:31 AM GMT
    Hello Stan,

I'm very glad that you had such a great time, and really hope that there'll be plenty more to come

Hugs,

Judith
  • February 16, 2010 7:14 AM GMT
    Going out fully dressed is a fantastic feeling. Not doing anything spectacular, just shopping, something to eat, a drink, maybe just take the dog for a walk. I love it, and it is addictive, there's no question about that.
    • 871 posts
    February 16, 2010 11:27 AM GMT
    Weldone Stan! I dont think anyone forgets their first day out. WOO! lol
  • March 2, 2010 9:42 AM GMT
    Yeah, it was AMAZING, and I have gone out once a week since! It's been so fulfilling, a chance for me to finally release all of the pent-up energy from 21 years of not being able to dress up. I went to a masquerade ball last Saturday with a date who loaned me a beautiful, knee-length gown with red flowers and a black cardigan (the top didn't fit right, and I'm still too nervous to show more skin than I have before). :-) So many compliments! WHEEEE! People are far more accepting than I had ever thought they would be! It is great to have friends who know you for who you really are, and not for the facade that you hide behind. I've really been able to sort friends this way. I LOVE DRESSING PRETTILY!!! I bought a pretty summer dress with pink and yellow polka dots, and I paid $45 (unheard of for me)! Unfortunately, now that I can both buy and wear whatever clothes I like, I think I have found the downfall of my life savings. Whatever. It's a good use of it all.

:-) More than happy to advise anyone who's interested in going as far as I have! So far everything's great, and I intend to keep it that way! Thank you, everybody here who's been so supportive.
    • 871 posts
    March 2, 2010 12:32 PM GMT
    Stan,
    I feel so much happiness for you. Its brilliant. Sounds like you really enjoyed yourself.

Every girl I have spoken to who goes out in public learns that most people dont mind and a lot are supportive, and thats been my experience too. However, there is always the posibility you might come across a numpty who expresses their opinion with little regard to who they hurt, so, if you are unlucky enough to come across one of these minority, see it for what it is and dont take it personally.

Hmm, pink and yellow pola dots, I'll have to keep a look out for a nice dress like that!

love
    Penny
    x
    • 67 posts
    March 2, 2010 10:38 PM GMT
    Sooooo happy for you Stan.

Think i know how you feel right now ( and so do many other girls on here ).

We are all smiling at you, and saying well done girl.

Your a star !!!

Paula X