Want to come out to father... but afraid

• April 4, 2003 8:54 PM BST
    I know enough to get out of the way when I do decide to tell him... He would and probably will go totally balistic... I'm already looking for my own place so as to make it easier for myself once I do tell him..
  • April 17, 2003 2:59 PM BST
    Yes I can understand that Stevie, but I don't have that much of a relationship with my mother, and a great one with my father... That's why I'm scared...
  • April 3, 2003 8:16 AM BST
    Hello all,

I've been sort of anxious over how to explain to my father that I am going to be transitioning into a woman. He has always looked upon this sort of stuff in disgust, and I don't know how I can go on living a lie as a man anymore.
    I like woman a lot, but I do have feelings for men as well, and it is tearing me up inside...

Pls any and all help would be much appreciated
    • 539 posts
    April 4, 2003 3:17 AM BST
    It is a difficult problem. Sometimes people who believe that people like us are bad will reject us, but sometimes family ties are stronger. Others tell me that it is wise to plan on losing anybody you tell. So far, I have had a 100% success rate, but I haven't told everybody yet and there may be some who reject me. Of course, I do not want to lose anybody but I am unwilling to live a lie for somebody else. I haven't told my father yet and I have no idea how he will react.

As Sarah said, only you will know how and when to do it. Just try to break it to him gently.

Good luck.

Heather H.
  • April 25, 2003 9:21 PM BST
    Thanks for your kind words Stevie... I am sure that I can find some help on how to come out, and feel better about myself
  • April 26, 2003 4:37 PM BST
    Thanks for the kind words Sarah... it is very heart-wrending, but I think my courage is starting to come through...

Wish me luck girls
  • April 26, 2003 5:13 PM BST
    oops meant Sarah omg me bad lol
  • April 3, 2003 6:31 PM BST
    Hi Gabrielle

Welcome.

I'm sure you'll find plenty of advice further down this thread and in other forums. But only you'll know how best to break the news.

Stay here and talk. Perhaps use the Tranny Psychology board and talk to Jayne.

Best wishes

Sarah
  • April 10, 2003 5:33 AM BST
    I'm 36 and I still don't want to tell my father, so I understand. Telling my mother was strange enough.
  • April 18, 2003 9:24 PM BST
    My mother and I were on bad terms, too, for a while. Anyway, you know your parents better than we do, so whether to tell them is up to you. As far as how to tell them (or one of them), a lot of advice is available here.
  • April 26, 2003 7:50 AM BST
    Hi Gabrielle

The key is in your last sentence. You've got to feel good about yourself. Diversity is a good thing. The world is a better place for having you in it, don't forget that.

Good luck, whatever you choose to do about your father.

Hugs

Sarah