Coming Out goes into high gear

• April 24, 2003 10:32 AM BST
    Heather, you are great

I can see that you first make plans and then follow them. Admirable...
    My coming out has been more occasional...depending on the moment...if I feel it right or not.
    Now I am very happy to have met a woman, who considers me as a female friend. She said she cannot even think of me as male, we have very much the same sense of humour and talk openly about just anything.
    It is a relaxing feeling to have someone "normal" who takes you as a woman.

hugs

Laura
    • 539 posts
    April 22, 2003 2:59 AM BST
    Since I have decided to start hormones, it is time for me to come out to basically everyone.

In the last two days, I have told my father and my aunt (his sister), both over the telephone. Both were accepting. I had an especially long talk with my aunt. It was great to get to talk to someone who is very tolerant and understanding. Hopefully after this, I can become closer to them than I have been in the past. My aunt also offered to help me with my grandparents. I am very close to them, and I worry that this will hurt them, but I need to tell them before long.

Next will be two cousins and more friends. So far, my success rate at coming out is 100%. I hope that trend continues.

Heather H.
  • April 22, 2003 1:37 PM BST
    WAY TO GO HEATHER,ONCE YOU TAKE YOUR "WOMAN" OUT FOR A TEST DRIVE,IT'S HARD TO GIVE HER BACK !!!!!SUPPORTIVE HUGS...PHYLISS-MARIE
    • 1083 posts
    April 22, 2003 1:49 PM BST
    Heather:

That's great to hear--must be nice to have everyone so accepting of this.

Luv' n hugs,

Jayne Sakura
    • 539 posts
    April 23, 2003 5:19 AM BST
    Here is an update. My aunt decided to just come out with it and tell my grandparents. It went well. My grandmother has sensed for some time that something is going on. Now she knows what it was. My grandmother and grandfather are both supportive - I just got off the phone with them. Of course, they are concerned about me but they didn't second-guess my decision.

I really feel lucky. I have told a lot of people now and my 100% record still holds. Now, almost everybody who is important to me knows about it and everybody is supportive. I wish other transgendered people could have this kind of support - it makes all the difference.

Heather H.
  • April 23, 2003 9:44 AM BST
    Well done Heather.

It certainly took a lot of guts to come out to so many people in such a short space of time. I'm so glad that all of the responses were positive.

I've often wanted to tell my kids about me being a trannie but have never got the nerve. They are both grown up and whenever they come to stay, I notice them looking at my pierced ears every now and again. They never say anything though and so like you, it may be that friends and relatives half suspect something anyway.

Hope all continues to go well!

Lisa
  • April 25, 2003 6:05 AM BST
    Thanks Sarah

I have a funny feeling things are going to work out....finally. I have met so many nice people lately and feel support also in my job circles. My arrangements to leave my SO are getting forward. So I hope soon to be able to open a new fresh page in my life.

hugs

Laura
    • 539 posts
    April 30, 2003 2:34 AM BST
    It sounds like things are going better for you, Laura. Good luck.

I am very lucky to have a supportive and understanding family. I just talked to my grandmother again. She said that she told my other aunt, so basically all immediate members of my father's family now know about it, and I am sure the news will get around to others. So far, there are no rejections.

Now I need to finish telling the remaining members of my mother's family that I have regular contact with, and then I can allow news to travel through that family as well. Soon, everybody will know.

Heather H.
  • April 30, 2003 7:03 AM BST
    Heather

You really are a very very lucky girl. I can only wish you more luck on your path.
    I´m happy for you that everything has worked out so fine.

hugs

Laura
  • April 23, 2003 4:55 AM BST
    I couldn't imgaine coming out across the board like that. I wish you the best!
  • April 23, 2003 6:07 AM BST
    I think you are a rare case (considering the large number and the short time frame).
  • April 23, 2003 6:59 PM BST
    Hi Heather

Good news. I hope everything continues to go well.

Hugs

Sarah
  • April 24, 2003 6:38 PM BST
    Hi Laura

That's good news after all your recent troubles. I hope things continue to improve for you.

Hugs

Sarah