A coming out disaster

• August 8, 2003 8:59 AM BST
    Hi girls

A ts friend of mine decided to come out to her family as a tv, thinking that might be easier to accept. Yet her coming out opened the gates of hell. Her SO got a nervous breakdown and her daughter is now in mental hospital after an attempted suicide.

Laura
    • 27 posts
    August 8, 2003 7:02 PM BST
    Dear Laura,

I am sorry to hear that, I feel for your friend and hope that her children are alright. I don't understand why it has to be like that for some people but it is. That's why the only people I have come out to are my brother, very undrstanding, and my ex-wife, one of my best friends. And the exact reason I haven't told my parents. I fear some kind of out burst by them.
    Why is it so hard for people that love you to deal with ? That is a question I have yet to find an anwser to.

Amanda
  • August 17, 2003 9:41 PM BST
    im so sorry. there is nothing that your friend can do but attempt to repair the damage done. the good news is he most likely can. i think time has a way of fixing things. if only he can gently make his family see him as a normal person again. he must be very sensitive to their needs too. he cannot expect them to understand but only to accept and he must make no demands of them. he must respect the fear that his family must feel. he must make them see that stability and love remain and may even increase now that he can at last be the person he was meant to be. it will be hard and may take much time but with love all things can be overcome.
  • August 18, 2003 12:09 PM BST
    one more thing, www.ren.org is a really good resource site. its worth checking out.
  • September 5, 2003 8:24 PM BST
    I feel the same way... which is why I don't plan on telling my parents... I know for one my father would not understand, and would blow a gasket... my ex girlfreind may understand tho, and try to help me through transition... I guess I should talk to her, and hope she supports me
  • August 13, 2003 9:20 PM BST
    That's terrible. It's strange how persons think something has happened to them when they hear that someone else they know is a tranny, gay, etc. They haven't changed at all, and nothing has been done to them, so why should they be so upset? I've always thought that was a pretty selfish way for others to react to a tranny's coming out.

I can understand why it would catch someone off guard or cause temporary confusion, or even concern for the tranny in question, but there's no reason for fear, despair, and/or anger to take over. A nervous breakdown and an attempted suicide seem a bit too much, even for my part of the world.

Laura, I wish your friend the best. I know things probably won't get any better when they find out your friend is a TS instead of a TV.