A Little At a Time

• 1980 posts
    May 13, 2005 4:23 PM BST
    Hi Everyone-

At first I wasn't going to post anything about this because in the grand scheme of things it seems a bit inconsequential, especially given the steps that some girls have already taken and the hurdles that so many other girls face in their day to day lives. But then, I thought, why not? Even though it's a relatively small step perhaps it might give someone else who's wavering on the brink and trying to make up their mind the heart to do what they want to do.

I came out to my supervisor at work a couple of days ago, on Wednesday morning to be exact. I had made a date to have breakfast with her, since I get off at 7 in the morning but I had forgotten that I had to work until 11 that day. Anyway, I had already told her that I had something very personal and not really work related to discuss with her, so when she came in she asked me what was up. She was very concerned that it was something serious in my personal life like an illness or a serious family problem. Perhaps I should say right here that my supervisor and I have known each other nearly 20 years and she has been my boss for 14 years and she also knows my wife and son, so things are a little different for us than for some.

Anyway, I kept putting her off and telling her I wanted it to be away from work where we wouldn't be interrupted, but I could tell that she was genuinely concerned that something was wrong in my life. Fortunately, it was very quiet that morning, so I finally gave in, actually since I had already made up my mind to do it, I wanted to get it off my chest anyway. We went in her office and closed the door and after a lot of hemming and hawing, I asked her if she was familiar with the term "transgendered" and what it meant. She looked a bit puzzled but assured me that of course she knew what it meant. So I took a deep breath and told her that I'm a transgendered person.

She asked me if that meant that I was planning on having an operation, as in SRS, and I made the distinction between TG and TS and also told her that I didn't plan to come out at work but wanted her to know because I'm getting tired of always pretending to my friends and people I care about and feeling like I'm always flying false colors. I also told her how hard this was for me, to come out and tell someone, but that being open felt like the right thing to do at this point in my life. She gave me a big hug and said that she loved me as a friend as my male self, so why shouldn't she love me if I'm also a girl? It touched me so much I started to cry, which really startled her, since as my male self that would be very unusual.

We talked for nearly an hour, then went and had lunch and talked for almost two more hours. She was full of questions, but also seemed to know at least a few things about TG issues. She was very kind and supportive and told me that if I should ever decide to come out at work that I had her full backing and she would support me completely which made me feel wonderful and very happy. She also said that as a friend she still felt the same about me as ever. I had taken a couple of pix along so her imagination wouldn't run wild (you know, drag queen images, 3 foot platinum blonde hair, double E boobs) and she was amazed at the difference and actually said she thought I made a better looking woman than I do man, which is exactly what I think, too, so that was cool.<lol>

Anyway, for what it's worth, if this helps someone else make up their mind about coming out to a friend or at work, I wish you the best of luck in your decision. Of course, things are different for each of us and all our situations are unique, but you never know, things may turn out better than you expect.

Hugs, Joni
    • 2463 posts
    May 13, 2005 4:29 PM BST
    Joni, that is a wonderful story. I know this will all work out for you. Did you show her the piccie with you in that cheerleader's outfit?

I guess what I like so much about this story is not just that you received some piece of mind, but that you had someone you could trust that much.

Yes, a little at a time is how most of us have to proceed. I think what you did was great.

On a personal note, Joni, thanks for those e-mails you sent in support of me. I really appreciate it.

Love, Mere
    • 1980 posts
    May 13, 2005 4:55 PM BST
    Thank you so much, Meredith, you are such a sweetheart. You're a very special friend, too. Right now I feel like such a very lucky girl, to have so many wonderful friends here on TW and a friend who is as supportive as my boss has been. If it weren't for all the things I have gotten from TW, I would never have had the courage to come out like that.

And that's a great idea about the cheerleader outfit, it wasn't one of the ones I showed her, but I bet she'd get a kick out of it.<lol>

Hugs, Joni
    • 374 posts
    May 14, 2005 9:00 AM BST
    Wow Joni, that is a wonderful story Must feel totally awesome to be able to tell someone about Joni and have them be so supportive and understanding. This world be such a better place if there were more people like that special lady who happens to be your friend and your boss I really am happy for you.

Hugs,

Monika