Warning on SKYPE software

• 2573 posts
    February 22, 2006 5:10 AM GMT
    I noticed that a number of you are using SKYPE. I checked it out and it looked like it could be a good deal for some things. However, I ran it past some guru types and got the following response second-hand:

"A problem with it is that it allows the company who runs the service to use your computer as a server for themselves. This provision is hidden in the software agreement. The program punches through your firewall to send packets through your computer as a relay."

We have seen this before. Hidden contract provisions allowing someone to use your computers for their own computing network.

I'm not saying don't use it....but do your trust your confidentiality with a company that shows a lack of ethics by not being up front about what it is doing with your computer.?
  • February 22, 2006 3:13 PM GMT
    Wendy,

thanks. I jsut started using it and noticed that as well. I put on Zone Alarm Pro and blocked it from acting as a repeater /prox and the program still runs well but they can't use it as a remote server without me clicking to say okay. So ther is work arounds. Other than that looks like a decent program

*hugs*

~Valerie