Fully out to my family

• 2463 posts
    April 17, 2006 3:16 PM BST
    I have done it now. I am fully out to my family. I told my brother, although we haven't really spoken in years. He said he kinda figured I was transsexual (his wife already knew). My neices and nephews know, too. The only people who don't are my second cousin and great aunt. We're keeping it quiet because the shock may be too great!

So, I have done it. I am out.
    • 2627 posts
    April 17, 2006 3:49 PM BST
    So I guess thats everybody that matters to you.
    I'm glad you said your brother took it so well.

I guess the next step will be to introduce Meredith to the world at large. You may not pass from close up but your allready closer than a lot of us will ever be. I'm not just saying this as your friend. But with not as much work as you think you should be able to go out.
    I know because I've seen you in person in both male & female modes.

I'm happy you got this part done & that it went so well.
    • 141 posts
    April 17, 2006 4:11 PM BST
    Congratulations, Mere! Pause and collect yourself. It is a wonderous moment, it really is. It is the end of a journey and the beginning of a journey. It is a change of season in your life; it is a sunset and a dawning. You have crossed the tree-line in your ascent to the summit, you have pushed through the turnstile from the stifling subway of maleness and now have only to climb the station steps to freedom of the street of femaleness. Your proffered admission stub has been torn allowing you entrance to the XX theatre. Well, I could go on...<>Truly, it's an important moment. Remember that you have friends to share new joys, companions in your journey and support for whatever comes your way.<>Love Ann
    • 2463 posts
    April 17, 2006 4:36 PM BST
    Thank you so much! In fact, I forgot to mention that I have been showing my family the piccies that I took when I visited Karen for New Years' (what a great time that was!). They all say the same thing - I resemble my late sister Lisa.

Yep, the next step is venturing out.
  • April 17, 2006 7:43 PM BST
    Hi Meredith.

I read in another thread somewhere that you have a friend that is a Mormon minister and that elders have even came to your place.

Well, get this!!! My Parents, one brother and two sisters are all Mormon. I was even baptised in the religion as a child. My Mum and Dad both know that as a child I was caught wearing my sisters clothing. My mother doesn't know it has extended into my adulthood, unless my father has mentioned it from conversations we have had. Only my oldest sister have I brought this up to recently, but she believes I could have a possible extra female spirit trying to posses me and that I should get a blessing from a member of the church to help remove the influence.

But, I don't want that......I can't make either of them understand that ...........I actually enjoy this side of me and feel that it is truely part of who "I" am. I don't think it has anything to do with other spirits. Just as much as I like a good steak and Blues/Rock, I love to see myself as a girl and playing with makeup.

I don't think there will ever be any approval from my immediate family and I am a bit saddened. There views are strictly from a religious stand point that says "This is not what God wants". Having a bit of that instilled in me at my youth, can you imagine the conflict????? I kinda wanna scream right know..............

Anyway, I am happy for you in your efforts and hope for the best. Take care!!!!!!
  • April 17, 2006 7:48 PM BST
    Let me just add that I would never say anything to hurt the mormon religion. Their not BAD people, I've know some very charitable LDS, but I just can't conform to their standards. I don't want to be locked down by others beliefs. I'm a bit of a free spirit I guess.
    • 2463 posts
    April 17, 2006 9:05 PM BST
    Hi Erica, and thanks for your posting.

Yes, it is true. My friend, who did graciously put me up in his house for a few months, is a Mormon chaplain. He sent a couple of young missionaries to talk to me once. I told them about my past problems with alcohol, but I especially loved telling them how I was transsexual.

I respect whatever beliefs someone wants. I just expect the same in return.

Hey, we're free and kindred spirits!

AND, ON TOP OF IT ALL - my wife told me today that she is glad that I have finally accepted who I am. While she's still not all that thrilled, I think I can start to be more honest with everyone.

Wow.
    • 374 posts
    April 17, 2006 9:51 PM BST
    Hi Meredith,

It sounds like your family is taking things well...what a weight off your shoulders! Hope all goes well for you on your journey. You have a lot of girls cheering for you here. Come to think of it....I always wanted to be a cheerleader with the cute little pleated skirt and pom poms...Go Mere go!!

Hugs & kisses,

Monika
  • April 17, 2006 10:09 PM BST
    I am soooooo HAPPY for you Mere!!! I am still struggling to tell someone other than my therapist and the people at the AIDS clinic as I spend more and more time as a woman and less time as a man (3 hrs from now the real me comes out). It is sounding like your wife is starting to be alright with this. Is that the case? Anyways...congratulations
    Rachel
    • 2463 posts
    April 18, 2006 1:11 AM BST
    Thank you all. As the song says, "I'm just a weary pilgrim trying to find what feels like home."

You girls are the best. I love you all.
  • April 18, 2006 2:44 AM BST
    Mere,
    Congrats hon *hugs* I bet you feel a whole lot better now! That is a good song BTW, I'm going to have to buy the sundtrack next time I am out at the stores!

*hugs*

~Valerie x x