Coming out

• March 3, 2007 12:49 AM GMT
    On Thursday I came out to a colleague at work, who for security reasons I will call Rachel (not her real name). It was surprisingly easy. We've become close friends recently and developed a measure of trust. She had said she wanted to get to know me better. I had told her there were parts of me that few people knew about.

I'd been thinking for a few days how to break it to her. Well, we were having a drink in the pub on Thursday when I said that I often wished I was a woman. In response to which she asked: "Do you wear women's clothes?" Instantly I said that yes, I did, sometimes. She looked a bit surprised and asked me again. Then she said she'd been wondering on the way to work what it might be that few people knew about me, and the thought had come into her mind that I was a cross-dresser. She didn't know why she'd thought that - though I had dropped a few hints about how much I liked shopping for clothes.

I asked her if that changed her opinion of me, and she said no. She thought I was a loving, kind and affectionate person, and whether I wore women's clothes or not didn't change that. She said I was the same person whatever I did. Then she said she'd be happy to go out with me as Catherine, and she'd like to go shopping with me (once she'd cleared her credit card). She also said she wished she could share her clothes with me, but unfortunately we were different sizes.

What a fantastic response. I couldn't ask for anything better. But her response is really what we ought to expect from any of our friends who accepts us as we are. Just think of all that time we spend screwing up our courage to the sticking point, and people are much more receptive than we expect them to be.

So Rachel and I are planning a girly shopping expedition in which our credit cards will take a severe battering. I can't wait.
    • 1652 posts
    March 3, 2007 1:48 AM GMT
    That’s great news, Cathy.
    It is what we should expect from our friends, I’ve found that all my friends do indeed accept me for who I am, and haven’t lost any since coming out. I think any friends who don’t accept you weren’t real friends in the first place, and aren’t worth bothering with.
    Happy shopping!
    xx
    • 1980 posts
    March 3, 2007 12:41 PM GMT
    Hi Catherine, that's so great. Isn't that feeling of being accepted for who you are wonderful, like a breath of fresh air? I'm so happy for you.

Hugs...Joni
    • 2573 posts
    March 3, 2007 4:19 PM GMT
    Catherine,

That is a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing it. We all need to hear the good stories of coming out as well as the bad. It keeps things in focus.
    • 2017 posts
    March 3, 2007 7:37 PM GMT
    Excellent news Catherine!

You're so right as well. When I came out to my friends a few years ago, all of them stood by me and their attitudes didn't change at all. Of course we worry over it, and not without good reason, which is why so many of us are still in the closet, but a true friend will be there no matter what.

Start eyeing up the bargains and have a great day shopping. You have a wonderful friend in Rachel.