Backfire on the phone

• June 3, 2004 9:53 AM BST
    Well, well...

A newspaper report just called me on the phone asking about the town plan I´m preparing. We had a long conversation and the he asked: "Sorry, what was your first name?". "Laura" I said. "That is not a very common name for a man" he said. "Well, I´m not a man" I continued. "Sorry" he said "I must have misheard your voice. Then it is quite right in the papers I, ve got".
    Funny...this only amused me. I don´t feel a bit desperate..

Laura
  • June 3, 2004 10:36 AM BST
    Yeah...

I know, my voice is on the border. Sometimes no problem on the phone and sometimes I get this backfire. I have talked on the phone with men who are interested me as a woman, and passed with no doubt. Just hope the voice therapy which at last starts in a few weeks will help me across the border safely onto the female side. And let me stay there for the rest of my life .

Laura
    • 539 posts
    June 4, 2004 8:52 PM BST
    This is quite a common problem even for genetic women. There is a lot of overlap between the "typical" male voice and female voice. I know one or two genetic women who regularly get mistaken for men. Nowadays, my voice usually passes, but I sometimes still get mistaken for a man and I probably always will on occasion. It doesn't bother me. Sometimes I get funny reactions from people when they realize their mistake.

Heather H.