I get a nasty shock!

• 51 posts
    August 2, 2012 12:27 AM BST

Hi,

I had some bad news today about transition and I'm still struggling to come to terms with it. I've recently got work sorted to the extent that I can actually plan what I'm doing over the next academic year, i.e. August 1 2012 to July 31 2013. I'd got a good idea about the number of courses I'll be expected to run but the major 'known unknown' was when my appointment for the GIC in Sheffield would be likely to come through and what day would the appointments be so I can keep that day clear. So I thought I'll phone to see if they can tell me.... Well I spoke to the administrator who was very nice but then after looking up the details of my case told me that she couldn't tell me when I will get an appointment because the Derbyshire Mental Health PCT have only been funding transition on the basis of one at a time. Because demand has been far greater than that a backlog of about twenty cases including me has built up and because they take referrals from Yorkshire and Humberside as well the waiting list is too long to give any estimate of when I may be seen, if ever. She gave me the name of the woman I should speak to at Leicester to complain but I was too upset to take it all in. I did tell her how much I was giving up to transition and how I facing losing my home and she seemed really sympathetic but unable to do very little. So I'm wondering what to do next. I know all reputable surgeons, even those overseas adhere to the Harry Benjamin standards so I've got to get the two signatures whatever happens. I don't know if I self medicate on hormones if the GP will monitor me. I've also wondered if one can get a private psychiatrist to sign that you have gender dysphoria. If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate them as I feeling pretty low about this.

Kind regards,

Nell x

This post was edited by Nell S at August 2, 2012 12:28 AM BST
  • August 2, 2012 3:58 AM BST
    If you have tansitioned and chnaged your name legally you have done all you need to prove yourself a genuine TS so go back to the PCT and quote to then 'the positive obligation puty upon th eU by th eECHR to ensure speedy treatment of your transsexualism - ie surgery'.
    The idiots of the NHS seem to think UK is not bound by Strasbourg case law but the Lord Chief Justice think otherwise.
  • August 2, 2012 5:44 PM BST

Hi Nell, I'm not really up to speed on the system within the UK but your situation does sound ridiculous. I would suggest you talk to someone at Charing Cross gender clinic , I believe they'll take phone calls and will (hopefully!) give you the truth about your rights. If you decide to use a private psychiatrist may I suggest using one from the governments "approved" List, you can find it on the Gender Recognition Panel's web site (http://www.Justice.gov.uk/tribunals/gender-recognition panel ) at least then no one could doubt the validity of the diagnosis! and it'd help with your later application for a GRC. Hope that's some help, good luck

Edited By Carol U to make the link clickable)

This post was edited by Former Member at August 3, 2012 8:09 PM BST
  • August 2, 2012 8:43 PM BST

Deleted

This post was edited by Former Member at April 11, 2013 6:39 PM BST
    • 51 posts
    August 3, 2012 6:33 AM BST
    Thanks for the information Nerrac. I'm going to speak to someone at the NHS Commissioners for the East Midlands but they're on holiday until Monday it seems. Thanks for the information on private psychiatrists in case I need it.

I'll be in touch Nicola by email and hope to speak to you by phone as well.

Nell x
  • August 19, 2012 3:26 PM BST
    Hi Nell. My partner was originally referred to Sheffield and had the same problem. After a year though she got so desperate that her GP re-referred her to Charing Cross, who saw her about 18 months later. They counted her time living as her real self from when she changed her name so by the time she saw them she had RLT. Yes she lost about a year but in the long run it worked out just fine for her. I hope this gives you hope and direction love Alison xx
    • 51 posts
    August 20, 2012 6:48 AM BST
    Hi Alison,

I've actually heard that I can go to the Nottingham GIC and get an appointment in 8 - 10 weeks now so all should now be sorted in this area. I still don't know why there is this constant issue with delay at the Porterbrook and why they don't advise patients to trnasfer when they can't see them in a reasonable length of time. Thank you for your post with this information though, it was kind of you to tell me.

Hugs,

Nell xxx