Voice therapy, first session

• August 6, 2004 7:02 AM BST
    Hi girls

After a couple of hours I´ll have my first voice therapy session. I´m looking forward to it. I´ll let you know then how it was.

Laura

• August 6, 2004 12:27 PM BST
    Hehe...I sat with a regular woman in the waiting room, just the two of us. I don´t know to whom she was waiting. My therapist didn´t know me, so she watched the two of us...then asked the genetic woman if she is Laura T. She knew that one of us is a TS but she guessed wrong.GREAT.
    In the session I had to talk and read. The lady said that when I read the text my voice was totally okay, in the conversation she said my voice is a bit "dark". Then we trained breathing and rising the pitch with a "ra - ro - ree".....ree being in falsetto. And then I had to continue in falsetto "Oh dear grandmother" or "Oh my goodness, what are you doing?". I must rehearse this more at home. She said normally 5 sessions are enough to help a transwoman to the safe side. And she said I´m certainly not the worst case . 6 euros for the fun.
    Laura
  • August 9, 2004 8:19 AM BST
    Yes, that is the ra-ro-ree-thing or just rolling r from low to high and then back.
    My homework is daily 10 times the ra-ro-ree plus with the high voice "Oh my goodness" or "It cannot be"...
    And then rolling the r up and down.
    She said I also should try to rise my pitch in everyday conversations. She said she knows I can do that, since she heard it herself.
    The next session is again on friday. 6 euro is what I pay...probably just a fraction of the real sum.

Laura
  • August 13, 2004 12:39 PM BST
    Today I had my second session. I feel that I´m getting forward. My therapist is really good. She listens very carefully when I say the sentences and makes a remark every time I go into falsetto. She sais, I´m supposed to speak high, but not falsetto. And I´should use my whole voice scale, except the lowest third. She said the therapy is "locking out the female voice". Now I have again much homework for the next 3 weeks.
    I don´t know how high singing voice you can have, but at least an alto is possible.

Laura
    • 2573 posts
    August 13, 2004 8:50 PM BST
    Has anyone tried the "correspondence course" taped/CD courses for voice training that are advertised on TG sites? With what results?