Please advise.

• 121 posts
    August 24, 2004 1:46 PM BST
    Hi girls just received some great news,Jo my sister has sent me an e-mail saying she and Jan want to take me out this coming Monday night,to a restauraunt and then to a bar for a few drinks afterwards.I told her I'd love to.However I do have a few worries
    which I didn't tell her about,but I thought I'd share them with all of you.Apart from the usual problem of what to wear,make-up,hair any suggestions are always welcome.My main worry is going to the bar after the meal.I'm perfectly confident in acting and looking like a girl when dressed but I'm not 100% sure of my voice.It's soft and gentle enough so my sisters say but nonetheless Im concerned if someone wants to talk to me,other than my sisters.I do appreciate that this is something I have to get used to.Any of your advice would be a great comfort. Love and kisses,Allissande.
    • 1198 posts
    August 24, 2004 1:55 PM BST
    Allissande,
    girl go for it, if you are not sure about your voice try and say little as possible. I know its easier said than done but you'll it works in most circumstances.....hope that helps a bit........love JJ xx
  • August 24, 2004 2:06 PM BST
    Allissande

Try practicing speaking slower, quieter and clearer than you do normally. The only difference in pitch between a male and female voice is 4 notes which most people wouldn't be able to pick up on. And a husky voice can be sexy.
    Work on being clearer and softer than normal and eventually it becomes second nature. Also try to use words that are more feminine. Ladies hardly ever demand but ask in a polite manner and they hardly ever slur words together but ennunciate properly. Try singing along to the radio whenever you can and try to say every word clearly.

Most of all use your sisters to help you learn the art of feminine speech, you lucky thing, as they will be able to teach you better than we can. Don't worry about pitch as that takes a long time and a lot of practice to change. Much easier to live with the voice you have but learn femininity within it.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Alex
    • 1980 posts
    August 24, 2004 2:43 PM BST
    Hi Allissande-

Alexandra's advice is very good and her point about there being only a half octave difference between men and women's voice is correct. One additional thing is that women tend to use more of their voice range while speaking. Listen to almost any g-girl and her pitch will rise and fall as she speaks. In other words, women's voices are more melodic, whereas men tend to talk in a monotone. Many women, Bea Arthur springs to mind as does Cher have husky voices. Don't know if I'd particularly want to emulate Bea Arthur in all regards but Cher's sense of style, while a bit outrageous for going out for a drink or two, is certainly worth imitating and to me she has a sexy voice.

There are several resources on the internet that help with voice training, you might check a Yahoo group called "voicets". I'm back, had to go look it up, here's the addy: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/voicets/>. They have some resources on their site. I'm also planning to buy a cd by a t-girl named Andrea James through Deep Stealth Productions. Here's their url: <http://www.deepstealth.com/store/index.htm>. There are voice samples you can listen to on the site. When I finally do get it, I'll post a review. BTW, if anyone else has tried it out, how did you like it? Did it help?

To me changing my voice is one of the hardest things there is. Sadly, I haven't found any magic trick, "Oh, it's easy, you just cross your eyes for a second and pull gently on your left earlobe and there you go!" And even worse is it's something that takes time and practice, just like training your voice for singing, which I don't do well either.

Anyway, as usual Joni has just rambled on. No matter what, have fun and don't worry about it too much, just enjoy yourself. And gosh darn it, take some pictures. We love piccies.

Hugs, Joni from Oregon