• Topic: My first book

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 5, 2016 1:42 AM BST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        3 0

I'm currently working on my first book on wattpad and am hoping it can and will be published one day. I've mentioned on here before that I'll be writing an LGBT story, but this one isn't it. I want the LGBT story to be the best it can be so I'm not quite ready for that I'm afraid. I did want to share my first story's plot and see what people think of it. If there are any anime/manga lovers out there, this particular story is based on a few of those. (It is a novel though).

Title: Hero the Cat Cop

Blurb: Family tradition has forced nineteen year old Emerald Gem into a career she never wanted - the police force. To complicate matters, her partner isn't the nicest of sorts - a talking, sexist cat. Can this unlikely pair solve their differences and work together like real partners, or will it always end in disaster when the two are put together?

I wanted to share this here also because, like the LGBT story, it hits close to home with me in a lot of ways. I've grown up with a lot of sexist/misoginistic views that I've had to overcome. I've even had some people tell me I'm a transman because I've been taught being a girl is bad... 

Anyway, I hope you like the idea of this story. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. :)

• July 5, 2016 1:37 PM BST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Story sounds interesting...go for it. I have published four books, so I can recommend self-publisher if you need it.

Good Luck 

Gerri Kay

• July 5, 2016 11:41 PM BST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        3 0

Gerri Kay- I'm glad to hear you think it sounds interesting so thanks! =) That's awesome that you've published four books! I wanted to try to get professionally published, but I know that's really hard to do so if I end up self-publishing I'll definitely let you know. Only have a couple chapters done so far, but this is my second time writing it because I made some beginner mistakes on the first draft. I can definitely tell that getting published is tough so I won't be surprised if I need to self-publish.

• July 6, 2016 12:56 AM BST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Chances of getting picked up by a traditional publisher are basically nil. Self publishing is basically how most people get started in the business. If you pursue this route when you are done with your story, try Amazon's CreateSpace. They did my last book and were by far the best company I have used. Goggle CreateSpace and you can get the info.

Hope this is helpful.

Gerri Kay

• July 6, 2016 1:36 AM BST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        3 0

Gerri Kay - That does make sense since this will just be my first book I highly doubt I could get a traditional publisher, but was thinking it was worth trying. I will definitely check out CreateSpace. Thanks so much for the recommendation. I'm sure it will be very helpful. 

• July 11, 2016 6:12 PM BST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        25 0
      I agree with Gerri, the blurb sounds interesting...and fun! Good luck, Kris!
    • July 12, 2016 1:51 AM BST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        3 0

Lovely GG Lisa - Glad to hear you like the sound of the blurb as well, Lisa. =) Thanks much for wishing me luck. Will need it as it is really competitive out there lol.

• July 13, 2016 12:57 AM BST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        3 0

Lovely GG Lisa - Didn't see a reply option on the photo so I'm replying here lol. Thanks much for the compliment on my photo! I'm definitely glad to hear it's an improvement compared to my last one.

• July 27, 2016 1:47 AM BST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        4 0

Hey Kris! I liked the creativity involved your idea for a unique story with some symbolism related to your own life's experiences. I also am a cat lover too with three kiddies, one of which is relatively wild but is so sweet when I come to her. I was wondering how far you got with your story and if you had either finished it already or have gone through with getting it published. After September, I am going to begin writing a script for a novel/series and try to create a franchise. Maybe we can establish a dialouge and trade some ideas. I am a wonderful writer, editor, and proofreader having obtaining a minor degree in freelance writing. Either way, I hope all is coming along well. Dana!!

• July 27, 2016 5:08 AM BST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        3 0

Hey Dana! Thanks much for the compliment! I am happy to hear you think my story idea is unique. I always like to describe it as a Beauty and the Beast tale with a few twists lol. Cats are definitely awesome and yours sound wonderful. I have one that currently needs to go on a diet after being so spoiled haha. As far as my story goes, this is my second attempt at writing it fully because my first try I made several beginner mistakes. I'm not sure how soon I'll be ready to publish (probably a bit far away still) but I do know I'm in desparate need of constructive criticism. My wattpad is on my profile and I'd definitely be open to helping each other out on our stories. I am very much a beginner at this, but I am enjoying it thus far. Thanks again for the offer and it's nice to meet another writer on here. =)

• July 28, 2016 2:39 AM BST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        4 0

Ah, Beauty and the Beast, huh? I like it! That’s such a classic tale with a very clear message. I used to read classic literature regularly a few years back when I was completing my writing program. I was inspired by Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein a lot even though I didn’t care for her writing style. She focused so much on the emotional content of the doctor and the creation which was wonderful, but just a little overwhelming and repetitive. My favorite stories were Sherlock and Monte Cristo though. I could talk about why forever. The content is great. Anyway, so can I access your Wattpad content freely without any trouble? I’d love to give any helpful criticism if I can! Anything you’d like me to pay any particularly attention at would seriously help me look out for anything that could be enhanced. Plus, explaining the beginner mistakes you referred to might be helpful too, but only if you wish as they might not be relevant if they were minor enough to be fixed without a hitch. When I was studying novel writing, there were two basically important concepts to keep in mind about writing and linking chapters. The first was to keep the story moving and interesting while, secondly, continually introducing new aspects of character development to prevent from creating one-dimensional characters. Jumping around in terms of the chronology of a story can be confusing too unless it is part of your writing style or if the flashbacks are clear enough. Tarantino often developed his stories in this way, and they were usually very successful.

I always had trouble writing a chapter plan or summary for a book because although I had a lot of ideas for story events or chapters, I couldn’t fill in certain gaps to bring one part of my story(ies) to the next. I was trying to practice this because I thought it could help me organize my thoughts. (but I had a detour and ended up in college for music; long story) I knew that I had a few good stories in my head, but I needed to develop a method for identifying the big idea chunks in a sequence so that I could break them down into smaller chunks like sentences, paragraphs, and chapters which is what I’m really good at! I excelled at taking small ideas and blowing them up into massive narratives or descriptive pieces especially if they were about things that I knew about. For example, I wanted to write a story about a character who was neutral in gender because I felt that I have lived through that (before identifying as transgender) and had so many personal experiences and references that I could use to expand upon the world in which that type of character lived, what they thought about him/herself, how he/she was treated differently by the public, and just generally how awkward of a position it is to live like that. The idea has developed into something else entirely, but because I’ve been in school, I haven’t had a chance to do anything with it yet. However, it spawned a second story concept that I am going to try to develop once I move from here in September.

I’ve also been curious to know a little bit more about your transgender perspectives and experiences. I read a few of your posts over time and have essentially concluded that we are both in disharmony in regard to our biologies. If I am intruding upon your privacy by opening this line of conversation, I apologize and will not badger you any further. No harm done, right? So, I hope to hear from you again soon! *hugs*

Dana!!

• July 28, 2016 4:32 AM BST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        3 0

Actually, I probably should've said this story is rather large and has about five main characters so the Beauty and the Beast part is only for two of those characters. Mainly the cat (beast) is sexist and mean to the wrong woman and she turns him into a cat. What's kind of funny is I have a character in the story named Beauty, but she isn't the female officer. I didn't realize how similar the story was to Beauty and the Beast until after I named the characters lol. I actually made the characters and stoy-line when I was fifteen (25 now) and wanted to animate it into a cartoon series, but after I took a few animation classes, I realized I just didn't have the patience to animate and preferred character creation and story-telling so I turned my career to writing. This also meant I had to get more into reading so the past few years I have been reading more instead of just watching movies. I will definitely check out the books you mentioned. I'm still trying to find my writing style, but people have told me I'm blunt and I've heard I still tell instead of show so that is one thing I still need to work on the most. You are more than welcome to look at my wattpad, but in order to comment it, I believe you have to make an account. (It is free). If you do get around to looking over it, I'd just like to be sure I'm keeping it interesting and have proper grammar. I have been told I use too many exclamtion points, but I've been more careful of that lately. My beginner mistake was basically saying "he said" or she said" after every dialougue line not knowing that it was redundant and I am trying to swtich perspectives correctly. Making a story with five main characters is going to be tough I hear as far as switching perspective goes, but I'm willing to re-write as much as I need to lol.

I never liked making outlines at first, but ever since I made one for my recent short story (I write short stories to practice perspective) I can't stop making them and made one for this story. I do agree that filling in gaps are hard and another thing I did was work so much on the "good guys" and their character development that I fear my villains are a little bland. I'm hoping I'm wrong and/or that having good "heroic" characters will make up for this. I really love your idea on making a story about a gender neutral character and would definitely read it. I don't know if you saw my post about an offensive character (you might have commented on it) but when I am a better writer, I definitely plan on making an LGBT story as well. The offensive character is an antagonist though, which I wasn't clear on at first when I posted. I really love making characters and story-lines based off things that I've gone through and it sounds like you do as well with the gender neutral character. I am sure I'll be interested in your second story as well in September so please keep me posted. =)

I actually have a Short Story that I shared trying to bring awareness to a couple conditions as well if you'd like to check that out. It has a character with Asperger's. It's nowhere near as planned out as Hero is, but I just had to write it anyway.  As far as my transgender perspectives and experiences, you may have seen that I come from a christian family and have come out to my mom fully, but not my dad. I've felt like a male in a female's body for almost my whole life, but I didn't really know what it was until middle school. That's when it became an issue, really. As a child, I actually would play with a doll, but I HAD to be the father doll or a male doll like ken. When the PC game The Sims became a thing, it felt like a real life saver for me because I couldn't be a "real man" but at least I could be one in a life simulation game and even have a family. Kind of rambling now lol. That's just some of what has gone on, I have questioned being bigender because there was one guy I was willing to stay a girl for, but then he came out of the closet AND told me he wouldn't date a trans, only pure men. =/ Made me hate being a girl all the more honestly because I'd see him post how gross girls are and stuff. I know everyone has their preference and that's not really what bothered me, what bothered me was that I never felt like a girl in the first place so I was pretty much angry at life/God for quite a few years. I will more than likely make my LGBT story based on that experience to be honest. Sorry, I basically wrote a book here lol.

• July 31, 2016 5:52 AM BST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        3 0

Hey guys, I added a few sentences to the blurb in hopes that it would improve it and make the book sound more interesting. Does it work? Please let me know because I'm trying to get more reads and someone told me my blurb is too short/needs more info. 

New Blurb: Family tradition has forced nineteen year old Emerald Gem into a career she never wanted - the police force. To complicate matters, her partner isn't the nicest of sorts - a talking, sexist cat. Can this unlikely pair solve their differences and work together like real partners, or will it always end in disaster when the two are put together? What happens when they meet a mysterious boy with a stutter who owns another talking cat? Will they be able to help bring justice to someone who has suffered a great family tragedy? With teamwork, perhaps they can.

• January 6, 2017 9:04 AM GMT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Hi All

I have always thought, that irrespective of  success with transition, the 'real elephant in the room' is a convincing 'back story' (for ourselves, and not to deceive/mislead others). Obviously it would be fantasy, but I would love to 'rewrite my autobiography'.  I have such a notion based on the 'lives of others', where I am a middle aged mom with two lovely twenty something daughters, and a caring husband.  However, you soon find your'other self' has had it tough!  As Pasty Kline sings, 'it's hard to be a woman'!  It's a starting point to help understand yourself!  Anyway it's a nice place to go, be it fiction or fantasy.  Our lives are never fully lived in real time, but rather the expectation of pleasant things to come!  It's great choosing names for everybody too!

Food for thought

Sally

This post was edited by Sally Scott at January 7, 2017 8:54 AM GMT
    • January 6, 2017 12:20 PM GMT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

All i can suggest is to key pushing the story forward...possibly outline it... and then rewrite, All authors rewrite.

Gerri Kay 

• January 6, 2017 8:30 PM GMT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        3 0

I agree with Gerri. I've had to re-write my story so many times but it's well worth it in the end. (Or at least that's what I like to believe). Starting a creative writing class in about a week or two and am pretty excited for it but I anticipate having to re-write even more as the instructor will probably have a lot of pointers/advice for me as a beginner writer. I keep being told my idea is "too complex" for a first book (just a little update) so am writing something a little more simple for the time being until I'm a better writer. This also means I have to postpone my LGBT story because I want it to be my very best work... Trying to be patient lol.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit posts
    You don't have permission to delete posts
    You don't have permission to approve new posts
    You don't have permission to make a thread sticky
    You don't have permission to close a thread
    You don't have permission to move a thread

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel