Hairy arms.

• March 19, 2005 5:00 PM GMT
    Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but could you help a n00b here:

As you may have guessed from the topic I have hairy arms, I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get rid of it.

If I have to shave them, what do I use and whats the best way or are they any other methods.

For what its worth my hairs fair.
  • March 19, 2005 8:18 PM GMT
    I think that would be too costly, shame really.

Thanks anyway
  • March 20, 2005 12:11 AM GMT
    Thanks for the help girls, Lucy, whats that cream you get called?
  • March 20, 2005 10:01 PM GMT
    Lucy (great name btw ) thank you for the advice, I'll be buying some tomorrow, I have problems with ingrowing hairs too, which I've mentioned to most of my friends so if they notice missing hair, I'll just blame that.
  • March 22, 2005 11:34 PM GMT
    Lucy, I got the stuff you mentioned and it worked, it got rid of the thick hairs on my shoulders, the arm hair i tried it, it got rid of hair every where I tried it.

Cheers for the advice :hug:
  • March 24, 2005 12:08 AM GMT
    Maybe we should all team up and take over the world...............
  • March 25, 2005 5:18 PM GMT
    an epilator works great for me,never left any marks.. kinda hard the first couple of times but after that the hair gets finer and just starts coming out much easier... lady epi makes a great one, I have used it for a long time. although the hormones are making it less needed as time goes on.
  • March 29, 2005 11:25 AM BST
    OK, time to stir up the hornets nest a little but have you ever noticed that real girls have hairy arms too? OK normally not as hairy as your average male arms but still hairy all the same and I don't know about anyone else but I don't know any GG who have totally smooth hair free arms.

To be honest I sometimes think that hair free arms can give you away as much as anything else.

So I make sure my hands are hair free, especially the outside edge from little finger to wrist as that's a dead male giveaway, and use a set of hair trimmers to keep the arm hair short (around a grade 2 normally) so it isn't so obvious. Less messy than creams and absolutely no risk of ingrowning hairs, which look horrid and make you cover you arms anyway so what was the point.

Just my two pennies worth on the matter

Alex
    xxx
    • 3 posts
    March 30, 2005 8:39 AM BST
    With regard to arm hair I have to agree with Alexandra. Very few women have hair free arms it's just not ntaural. In fact when I discussed this with a GG friend once, she stated that most women find totally hair free arms as very creepy. "sort of like a skinned cat" was what she said.
  • March 30, 2005 12:32 PM BST
    Cerys,

Some of those creatures are downright wierd and others are side splittingly funny, you have far to much time on your hands if you can find all these things - get back to work!!

Back to the purpose of the thread:

That is a thought that had crossed my mind a couple of times actually, using a hair lightening cream to make them much fairer. I'm quite lucky that most of my arm hairs appear light due to my slightly tanned complexion (and no I don't Stand and Tan its all natural) but there is an area which, for some reason I don't understand, always grows black as pitch so maybe lightening it would help.

Shan, the trick to avoiding the sudden stopline at the wrist is to change clipper guards to the grade 1 and feather the wrist area slightly, just makes it appear less abrupt.

But saying that it's all down to personal choice, I just wanted to point out the alternative, with less ingrown hairs.

Alex
    xxxx
  • March 30, 2005 10:09 PM BST
    Thanks for all the advice girls.

I was thinking of giving the hair lightening cream ago to.

Has anyone tried the hair reducing cream thats available?
    • 2627 posts
    March 19, 2005 9:38 PM GMT
    There are realy only 2 other ways. Not counting fire. Shaving or lotion. Take that back you can try waxing. I had a reaction to lotions. But the small test spot on my arm still has not grown back. So it might last longer. I would look for more about waxing since I've never done it I can't say.
    • 1652 posts
    March 19, 2005 10:37 PM GMT
    i think you have to experiment really to find out what works best for you. my arms don't take kindly to shaving but i find hair removal creams do the job nicely. something like immac or nair though these are vey expensive simply because of the brand name. you should be able to find a cheaper alternative in your local supermarket and it will be exactly the same stuff. mine costs about a pound a tube and would do your arms several times over. do test a small patch first for an allergic reaction, and don't leave it on any longer than the instructions say or you will get a chemical burn.
    xx
    • 1652 posts
    March 20, 2005 12:12 PM GMT
    Lucy, the one I buy (from Morrison's supermarket) is called Beauty Formulas. I have tried several brands and they all work the same.
    Sandra, hair removal creams such as Immac and the one I mentioned above don't work by inactivating the roots, they merely "burn" the hair at skin level. I have been using them for years, before anti-androgen use, and I know men with much thicker hair who use them effectively on all parts of their body. I've tried ones specifically for men, the results are exactly the same.
    You won't stay hair-free for any longer than you would after shaving, perhaps a day or so, but shaving cuts the hair at an angle giving a much rougher stubble. The cream dissolves the hair so it's left more rounded at the ends.
    Ingrowing hairs, yes, the bane of my life, but every method of hair removal I have tried leaves me with some of these. Dragging a razor blade across my skin is just awful, so I avoid it, not to mention the scars I still have from cutting my skin in the past. I tried waxing once (DIY), pain is not the word! I'm sure I got the technique right but I was left with a huge purple bruise that swelled up and lasted for days. Many people don't have a problem with it though.
    I use an epilator on my legs, pretty good, but I tried it on my arms once and still have marks 6 months later where the follicles were damaged. As with creams, test a small patch first.
    I've tried the creams from Transformation, in conjuction with anti-androgens, that are supposed to "chemically alter the structure of the root, creating finer, downy hair..."
    Don't bother girls, it's hugely expensive and about as effective as smothering double cream over your body. Total rip-off.
    xx
    • 1652 posts
    March 23, 2005 2:55 AM GMT
    great babe, us lucys should stick together!
    this stuff seems to work well for most people as a temporary solution; quick, easy, painless, and cheaper than a decent blade.
    xx
    • 1980 posts
    March 25, 2005 3:26 PM GMT
    Hi Lucy-

Not much to add here really, except to say I shave my arms regularly and had trouble at first with ingrown hairs and little bumps and so on. One thing that I've found that helps, not only on the arms, is to use a good exfoliant. My understanding is that one of the causes of ingrown hairs is that the opening sometimes gets blocked by dead skin cells (ick!) and scrubbing with an exfoliant or even just a rough wash cloth or loofah or something like that helps keep them open. I've given some serious thought to using a home waxing kit, but I'd have to let it grow out a bit and to me the stubble is more obvious than being shaved.

Good luck.

Hugs, Joni

• March 30, 2005 10:13 AM BST
    Hey Rachael, who you calling creepy!!

Cerys x
    (soon to be seen wearing lovely cat fur coat!)
  • March 30, 2005 11:33 AM BST
    Shan

There is a breed of hairless cat, rare but stragely fashionable in Paris for some reason. Of course one also popped up as "Mr Bigglesworth" in the Austin Powers Movies.

However, the amazing and grotesque beasts on the link below are entirely fictitous but staggeringly weird ... (My fave is the "Toadapuss")

http://www.worth1000.com/[...]id=2836

.. Sorry to hijack an otherwise serious thread.

Cerys xx
    (shaves her arms, but is thinking of combining Alex's clipper technique with hair lightening cream, any thoughts)
    • 1652 posts
    March 31, 2005 3:16 AM BST
    i've tried a few hair reducing creams, such as kalo, and the ones from transformation. none of them had any effect. there's a new one out from johnsons, whose products i like, and which i will try, but i don't have much hope really.
    i might give the lighteners a try as the hair isn't drastically thick on my arms, still too much for a girl though.
    xx