Maureen dowd on chromosomes

• 16 posts
    March 22, 2005 3:46 AM GMT
    chromosones do it too. Read Maureen Dowd as she helps us with another understanding of ourselves.
    • 588 posts
    March 26, 2005 5:08 PM GMT
    Something like this have crossed my mind a couple of times the last few years: One-sided abstract "male" thinking as a sign of decay. In a note to a norwegian translation of the philosopher Bergsons "Time and Free Will" I read that he changed his mind on the value of abstract space the last few years before 1914. Around 1890 he argued that abstract space was a noble privilege for "man" and that for animals there only existed a space of concretely sensed qualities. In 1890 women was very much viewed as representatives of "animalistic nature" - opposed to "high civilization".
    Bergson changed his mind on the "nobility" of abstract space, however, and made a great effort in working for peace. His way of thinking and his writing style, being dismissed by "analytical" philosophers as "not philosophy at all", have made me wonder if he had a TG mind.

Linda

PS I so much wanted to mention Bergson when the opportunity was here because he, Alfred North Whitehead and Heraclitus are the three great process philosophers - philosophers of transition...
    Heraclitus: "Upon those who step into the same rivers different and ever different waters flow down".
    And I thank all the gods for that.
    • 2573 posts
    March 26, 2005 3:29 PM GMT
    Great article, Patricia, thank you!

Since I'm in a mood to propose theories this morning:

Could it be that we t girls are not "sick" males but, in fact, healthy males who are genetically "aware" of our missing "parts" and desperate to retrieve our "correct" (female) selves? The "healthy" males are the ones too far gone from "rotting chromosome syndrome" RCS, to be aware how "damaged" they are, how "wrong", as we all devolve into a more primitive lifeform.

Oh, boy, they are gonna be burning crosses on my front lawn tonight!
    • 2573 posts
    March 27, 2005 7:32 AM BST
    mmmm, "superior" is a value judgement. None of us would argue the superiority of men, as a group, in combat and hunting activities. Larger, stronger, more muscle mass %/Kg, navigational and perceptual advantages.

The perception of the value of TG persons, or two-spirit persons, in NA culture is well-documented. In times of disaster there are more of us born and our unique mind-set may try new approaches/solutions to environmental dangers/stresses. We may well solve problems differently and see more than one side of an issue. In some situations, that could be seen as "superior", just as a capable male is a "superior" hunter, or a woman is a "superior" food gatherer. We certainly will be bearing no children to increase species numbers, though some of us will procreate. I would agree that we are an *asset* to society. A *gift* of nature that is usually misunderstood and underutilized. The effects of hormonal changes on our abilities is an interesting area. I have no known hormonal changes and yet my mind has changed in how it functions just by accepting myself and digging. I'm not sure if anyone has studied this area with before, during and after testing of HRT and non-HRT "transitioning" TGs. [I use "transitioning" for both the physical and psychological changes in TGs. I think both are important parts of the transition process.] If I was pursuing clinical psychology still, I might make that my Master's Thesis.