lack of strength?

• 64 posts
    August 1, 2006 1:37 AM BST
    Hi Girls,
    can anyone please tell me if hormones will reduce leg muscle mass as well?
    I inherited my grandfathers rather stocky frame, and i have legs like tree trunks, hoping that once i start hrt they will get a smaller and more fem.

Hoping for good News
    Simone
  • August 4, 2006 12:21 AM BST
    I am only on aldactoone other wise known as spironolactone 100mg taking two tablets a day,

For fifty days supply or one hundred tablets it is $39.05 AUD this may be cheaper where you are as I am in the edge of no where

As for estrogens I just don't know I start taking them hopefully in October but I have read somewhere that it may cost up to one hundred dollars a month
    • 134 posts
    June 22, 2005 8:07 AM BST
    Anyone else noticed this? I am experiencing a serious lack of strength after 7 months hormones. Tried to lift a bottle of gas for my BBQ other day & it just about killed me!
    Have to get to the gym!
    angel xx
  • June 22, 2005 9:56 AM BST
    I noticed that, too. Keeping up when standing in the bus, speeding up and slowing down is quite a job for my arms. First I thought, girl, are these new buses strong and have good brakes. But looking at the mirror at home told me the truth: Laura girl, you have really skinny arms.

Laura
  • June 22, 2005 7:55 PM BST
    I did notice that too. After 16 months on hormones the garage door is definetly feeling heavier when I try to open it also the lawnmower feels like it is putting on some weight too.
    I know I lost some of my strenght.... I know the day is coming when jars will be impossible to open!
    • 364 posts
    June 24, 2005 10:32 PM BST
    Lack of strength is one of the bi-products of hotmones but the good things make up for it.

Hugs
    Joanne
  • July 14, 2006 5:39 AM BST
    how long before I notice arm thinning/weakening? Just started androcur and estrogen
    • 65 posts
    July 21, 2006 6:17 PM BST
    I to have started losing my strength to what it used to be......
    Im a farm girl and it is noticable to my work mates.... arms are thiner but I have a cleavage now also noticable to my work mates...OH WHAT FUN!!!!!
    • 588 posts
    August 1, 2006 1:26 PM BST
    Well, perhaps, Simone. In my experience it seems there has been some such effect. I have kind of muscular legs, after cycling a lot. A couple of weeks ago i looked at my calves in the mirror and thought they actually had become slimmer. Part of it may come from evening out of contours, but i also think i have lost some muscle mass. But then my legs really were the one place i had any amount to loose, as i never had a very muscular upper body. One other thing that may work in the same direction is keeping a level weight as it could mean greater redistribution of muscle into fat. Same thing with starting out with a not too high body fat percentage.
    • 64 posts
    August 1, 2006 10:34 PM BST
    Thanks for that Sabina, unfortunately i have a very stocky muscular body
    My older brother has legs that I and most gg's would kill for, but in saying that he is 6 foot 3 lol.
    so u are suggesting that if i am slimmer when i start HRT that it may potentually help with the reduction of muscle mass?
    Cause i have been depressed lately, and i have been putting on weight, and if that is the case then i have a few months to start slimming down b4 (fingers crossed) my Shrink refers me to an Endo

Hugs
    Simone
    • 588 posts
    August 2, 2006 7:31 AM BST
    There's a good chance you'll lose a fair bit of muscle all over your body anyway, Simone. I don't know why noone else has mentioned the legs, but i would guess most of us perceive the "male shoulders" as the major problem.

Your question... Yes, i think slimming down can have some positive effects on fat distribution from the HRT. Could be marginal, but there's another side to it also. Being overweight is a risk factor in itself - especially for the development of diabetes. And with the HRT we really ought to stay in as good a health as possible.

I have seen this thing with slimming down mentioned a few times, on a yahoo group only a couple of weeks ago. It's difficult to say for sure though as these things may vary from person to person. But it seems logical to me. If you have excess fat your hormonal system will go for that, not the muscle mass to the same degree. Much as with losing weight - the breakdown of muscle mass only happens to any extent if there's not much surplus energy to be had from other sources.

The depression, it could be the gender dysphoria, sort of becoming conscious about it. It's that way with many illnesses - reaching a crisis and then getting past it. (with the necessary help of course) I remember thinking 18 months ago or so that my eating habits seemed like a sign of depression. Turned out I had been somewhat overweight for almost twenty years because of it, just didn't notice it too much as it was so evenly distributed. If you're suffering from gender dysphoria... doing something about it surely will help. So, i hope you'll have your referral to the endo soon xx
  • August 2, 2006 9:11 AM BST
    Hi girls

I have been on Aldactone for the past four months and y friends have noticed my calf muscles, (built up from years of cycling) have reduced in size my arms have gotten slimmer and weaker where lifting thing is a pain my gut has also gotten smaller but I know my bum and thighs have gotten a lot bigger

I think it is from sitting on it to much!!

Simone there is a bit of weight gain normally my endocrinologist asked me to try to lose a little weight but it some times seems impossible as it has stayed the same since May at least
    • 64 posts
    August 2, 2006 10:50 PM BST
    Thanks for your replies Ladies,
    Sabina, thank u, i'm not over weight yet, but i do have a little extra padding atm. I just will have to make more of an effort now b4 i start any sort of HRT.

Zara-Lee thank you as well. another Question for u? How expensive are hormones in Oz? My Shrink has no clue on the costs and i would like a rough idea so i can start to figure out a budget

Thanks
    Simone
    • 64 posts
    August 6, 2006 10:55 PM BST
    Thanks For the replies Ladies,

My next appointment is the start of September,my mood is slowly improving and at least i can start to get an idea of costs, Thanks to all of you lovely Ladies here on Tranny Web.
    I'm sure i would still be lost in the wilderness of everyday life if i had not stumbled into this wonderful safe place where i can be me.

Hugs
    Simone
    • 1652 posts
    June 22, 2005 1:12 PM BST
    Absolutely, I am now officially a puny weakling, though I'm not complaining, I always hated muscles on me, not that I ever had that many...
    I can even squeeze into a size 12 dress now, my shoulders previously restricted me to a size 14, they don't look that different but something must have happened.
    xx
    • 1652 posts
    August 4, 2006 12:58 AM BST
    If it’s going to cost you 100 Oz dollars a month for estrogen in Australia you would be better buying it from globaldrug, where you can get TEN months supply for 100 U.S. dollars (131 Oz dollars)! That’s based on 2mg per day of Estrofem - a low starting dose. Double or triple your dose and it’s still a lot less than 100 dollars per month.
    It pays to shop around!
    xx