Does makeup matter?

• 22 posts
    October 13, 2005 9:00 AM BST
    I found the following article via MSN today and felt it was nice to copy it for here. The question is .....

Face value: Does makeup matter?

By Elsa K. Simcik

The other night I decided to give myself a little more face time. I put on my foundation with a sponge instead of just spreading it around my face with my fingers. I experimented with some funky new eye shadow colours, and even sprinkled on some of that sparkly glitter that is so popular with 14-year-old girls. After a good half hour of tweaking, pinching and painting, I looked good enough to go to the Oscars. Well, maybe the Brit Awards.

"I'm ready," I announced to my husband. He responded, "Are you really ready or do you still have to put on makeup?"

How could he not notice my precise eyeliner or my extra curled lashes? I even used the hair dryer on my eyelash curler to give my lashes that extra hold. Now that's dedication.

So why do we spend so much time and money on these ridiculous products when guys don't even notice? I'll tell you why: Because they do notice. They just don't know they notice. I conducted an official survey of 57 guys. Okay, when I say "official" I mean I talked briefly to a couple of guys at the gym, a few at the dry cleaners and a group of single fellows at a bar. And it was more like twelve. Nonetheless, their answers were consistent:

"Do you care if a girl wears makeup or not?" I asked.

"Doesn't matter to me," said gym guy #1.

"To tell you the truth, I can't tell if a girl is wearing makeup or not," noted dry cleaner boy #2.

"I'm more of a legs man," slurred inetoxicated bar guy #3.

After reviewing my findings, you may come to the conclusion that guys don't give a monkeys about makeup. I disagree. Let's evaluate three celebrities that most men agree are attractive: Jennifer Aniston, Rachel Stevens and Girls Aloud. Sure, they've all got great bodies but what else do they have? Makeup, makeup and a lot more makeup. And they're not just sitting in front of their own bathroom mirror fiddling around with cheap makeup freebies you get from magazines, they spend money, they spend time and they enlist a crew of professionals to expertly apply every ounce of goo, glob and glitter. If your guy saw Rachel, Jenn or any of thos Girls Aloud gals first thing in the morning, he certainly wouldn't have anything to drool about.

You may argue, "But my man loves the way I look first thing in the morning. He says that's when I look the best." Every woman has heard a man make that comment to her at some point. I bet he also says he prefers your "natural" look, right? Wrong. This is a hoax concocted by all the men of the world to cut down on our "getting-ready" time. It's true. They hate waiting for us so much that they are willing to let us go out in public without an ounce of makeup and without even running a brush through our hair.

Don't fall for it, girls. You're not Jennifer Aniston, and you don't have an arsenal of people to help you. My advice? Stick with the makeup. Oh, and another thing — don't fall for the hair dryer on the eyelash curler scam. Trust me, it's not worth it.
    • 588 posts
    October 13, 2005 11:22 AM BST
    You may argue, "But my man loves the way I look first thing in the morning. He says that's when I look the best." Every woman has heard a man make that comment to her at some point. I bet he also says he prefers your "natural" look, right? Wrong. This is a hoax concocted by all the men of the world to cut down on our "getting-ready" time.

I have no doubt that a lot of men wake up in the morning and look at their wives with loving eyes. With a certain state of soul the conventional view of "good looks" simply doesn't matter. And in a truly loving relationship this could happen any time of day.

Linda
    • 22 posts
    October 14, 2005 8:24 PM BST
    I wear make up just for me and because I love it . I wouldn't feel like "me" if I did not. The other me is just different, but both are still me -naturally. I'm told I have a character change but I am not aware of it. Powerful stuff make up and one of the best inventions known to man. OOOPS! Woman !