Close Shaves

• 23 posts
    November 24, 2005 11:41 AM GMT
    Hi Ladies,
    Is it just me but unless I have a hot shower for about 5 minutes and/or a sauna, I cannot seem to get a close enough shave to "pass". I tried King of Shaves oil last night after soaking my face for 3 or 4 minutes in warm soapy water but I wasn't able to shave close enough.
    Also I saw an electrolysis machine in the Scotts of Stow catalogue. Has anybody any experience of using this please?
    Any tips for a closer shave without having a shower or bath?
    Please!!!!!
    Hugs xx
    • 1980 posts
    November 24, 2005 2:01 PM GMT
    Hi Kay-

I think it's always a good idea to wash your face first anyway. One thing I do is shave with an electric first while my face is dry, then wash thoroughly, not with soap but with a good face cleansing product, then before rinsing the cleanser off my face I shave with a blade so the cleanser acts like a lubricant. If you want a really close shave you should start with a new razor. As someone else mentioned on another thread, razors are made of very cheap stainless steel and they lose their edge amazingly fast. You can sort of break a new one in on the sides of your face first before you tackle more delicate areas. You can check how close you are by lightly stroking a cotton ball across your face, if it snags and leaves little threads you can tell where you need to try again.

And sadly, no matter how close you shave, you may still have shadow. You can get right down to skin level and if you have a dark beard, it will still show. I have the same problem. And pressing too hard trying to get it all can just lead to rashes and irritation which can be even harder to hide and make it harder to shave next time.

Most of the home electrolysis machines I have heard of from talking to other girls are not worth the money. The voltage is too low to be effective and the results aren't worth it. As far as I can tell, professional electrolysis (spendy) or laser removal (also spendy, but not quite so much) are the only permanent ways to remove hair.

Good luck, Kay. If you do get the machine, let us know how it works out, okay?