Migrene type headache

• February 1, 2006 8:48 AM GMT
    Has your migrene type headache increased at the HRT?
    I had very seldom migrene before my transition, now I have it about once in two weeks. Not bad, including nearly no real headache, more just a bypassing sight disturbance, lasting for maybe ten minutes. During that it is impossible to read anything or drive a car.

Laura
    • 588 posts
    February 1, 2006 9:19 AM GMT
    Very seldom, that is how it has been for me too. A few times I have had what might be considered migrainelike headaches - kind of a piercing pain lasting for a short time - and seemingly with no particular cause. I used to think it was because of stress and tension as it also seemed to involve the muscles around my eyes.
    But it's more than a year since now. And there's been no signs of headaches during the five months I have been on a low estrogen dose. It makes me wonder when you first noticed this change ?

Linda
    Sabina
  • February 1, 2006 10:58 AM GMT
    I have it more now...definitely after the start of my HRT. A stroke begins with a bright spot in the middle of the wiev screen, it grows slowly into a dazzled frame, further growing until it frames your sight, then it just fades out. Everything in 10 to 15 minutes. No pain, feeling just a bit uncomfortable...
    Symptoms like this I know from many other women.

Laura
    • 588 posts
    February 1, 2006 9:15 PM GMT
    I have been wondering if certain "light phenomena" I have been experiencing can be related to a healing process involving change of brain chemistry. Three years ago I was clearly becoming even more sensitive to light than I have been. And this happened after some use of soy estrogens in the previous months. A few months later I also started to notice a small bluish light appearing for no reason - slightly to the left in my field of view. And when I went to sleep I could see a weak pulsating frame with my eyes closed.
    Last summer I experienced almost the same thing, but in daylight, and reversed: There was a brighter area in the center. I felt no pain. Instead, my first thought was: After all these years of dreaming in broad daylight... I'm awakening.
    I have also registered some similar occurences - making it clear to me that something was about to happen.

I'm quite sure that I have been in a dreamlike state since the attacks of sleeprunning I had when I was ten. In all those years I've had very few dreams, but have slept well. There were some months, in my early twenties, when I dreamt quite a lot - mostly of flying. But then I had a panic attack in the daytime - as if "darkness descended upon me" and the room around me was about to collapse. With that my dreaming more or less stopped.

But the spring of 2002 stands out as an exception. I had one dream that could very easily be interpreted as symbolizing rebirth... It was at the time when I was trying out those phytoestrogens... And I was finally about to finish my architecture thesis. It seems to me these events where significantly interrelated. Finishing my thesis meant symbolic closure, and the soy estrogens actually meant I was about to take my first steps out. And then, that dream.

At the same time it seems the headaches and pains around my eyes have gradually disappeared. I certainly hope it will stay that way.

Linda
    Sabina
    • 588 posts
    February 2, 2006 1:46 AM GMT
    I'm not too surprised if there is some sort of genderrelated suppression of research in this area, Wendy. But I guess there's also great resistance against "descending" to such a fundamental level - sort of registering ourselves as series of interconnected impressions. For me, asking myself questions of this sort, it has been a question... of personal survival. I can even remember being "warned" nearly twenty years ago - by some relatives - that all the reading and questioning could end very badly. My answer for them was another question: Where would I have been if I had not put the harsh realities of my environment into question ? Probably locked away, I think - one way or another.

When I was writing my architecture thesis I did actually turn it more or less into a "mind research" project. I had these two quotes on page three:

"My body, an object destined to move other objects, is, then, a center of action; it cannot give birth to a representation."

"Association, then, is not the primary fact: dissociation is what we begin with, and the tendency of every memory to gather to itself others must be explained by the natural return of the mind to the undivided unity of perception."

There is a double meaning here: As things were, nearly thirty years ago, my body could not give birth to a representation - of my soul. Henri Bergson may have been right in some sense: For a man, perhaps, the body is first of all a center of action... But for a woman ? Surely she contradicts his claim - while still remaining the fundamental center of action.

But when it comes to dissociation she would confirm Bergson's position: We did indeed begin with dissociating - from the body, and, eventually, our minds struggled with returning to an undivided unity.

My guess is - without knowing that much about modern brain science - that Henri Bergson's book - Matter and Memory - probably still is one of the best text on the overall functioning of mind and matter.

Strangely, I see, Bergson's views are considered "queer" - strange, that is - by some:

Matter and Memory

Linda
    Sabina

• 2573 posts
    February 1, 2006 7:45 PM GMT
    I"m almost 48 hrs into a migraine now. They are awful. If I was going to get girl-parts, couldn't it have been tits instead? They aren't bad enough to want to shoot myself........anymore.... but the fear of them getting worse again would be enough to make me avoid HRT. 6 days a month of wanting to die is not something I would be willing to risk. Time to turn out the lights and try to sleep again.
    • 2573 posts
    February 1, 2006 11:43 PM GMT
    Linda,
    Your experiences lead to questions on a level of brain function that is deeper than most of my studies in an area I wanted to study as a psychology major. If gender, and other brain functions are (as they appear to be) related to "hardware" and we know that experience changes brain structure, then it does lead to the conclusion that we might experience changes in perception due to the brain rewiring itself. Since introdution of drugs has a known effect on brain function by alteration of chemistry, this too would be expected, and does change thought and perceptions. It makes me wonder if there was any connection between your life experiences and the differnces in our TG brains. Perhaps, once the initial studies in non-modal brains is accepted more, we will see more studies in this area. Unfortunately, there are indications that studies that prove that non-heterosexual oriented brains are natural are being blocked by those who wish to push their non-scientific mythological beliefs that see it as "sin". Since TGs are usually deeply closeted at work, these people do not realize how much of this sabotage of scientific inquiry is seen and passed on to other members of the community.

Very interesting post, Linda.