sun blockers

• 1195 posts
    April 24, 2006 4:04 PM BST
    Could use some help....being an inheriter of fine Irish skin I'm now prone to developing caritosis( gotta ck spelling) which I'm told is a pre-cancer condition. I've been using a sunblocker with 28spf and 36spf but I think I need something stronger. I heard yesterday of a 50spf named "baby faces." Has anyone heard of this brand? Is 50spf strong enough the this Texas sun? I don't need melinoma....thanks
    lol
    • 1195 posts
    April 26, 2006 5:36 PM BST
    I found "baby faces" at WalMart. Had to search through the sun blocker display. It have an spf of 60....just call me pale face from now on. he he he
    • 364 posts
    April 26, 2006 10:38 PM BST
    I hope all you girls wear a hat when going out in the sun and keep your exposure to the sun limited to 10 minutes a day )for vitamin D). Here we have the highest skin cancer rate in the world but despite warnings about covering up. using protection ie blockers, the young still flock to the beaches to get a tan. Personally I avoid the sun as much as possible as it sure dries up the skin and causes premature aging, not a pleasant sight with wrinkled faces etc.

Joanne
  • April 27, 2006 1:31 AM BST
    Yep sunblockers, hats, sunglasses, shade trees and umbrellas for me!!! I burn so easily! I'm defeinatly a shade tree with a glass of iced tea person! LOL

~Valerie x x
    • 8 posts
    November 11, 2007 5:56 AM GMT
    Hawaiian Tropic Ozone is SPF 70 and works very well. I put it on first and then liquid foundation on top of it. It will make you smell like a pineapple, but I guess that's not a bad thing for the kind of protection it gives. You have to layer your foundation well over it, because if you don't you will still have that sunblock shine. It's about $7 a bottle from Walmart. But, you can only get it during Summer. If you want to get it easier, drugstore.com carries it all year.

Karen
    • 2627 posts
    April 24, 2006 4:36 PM BST
    When I was fishing on the gulf last spring for way to many hours. My cousins had sun block rated 50spf. I'm sorry I don't remember the brand but there is some out there.

When out on the water for so long(ever it felt like) the sun gets to be pretty intense.
    • 2573 posts
    May 25, 2006 11:07 PM BST
    The information I have heard is that higher SPF numbers are worthless beyond about SPF 15. This is not true, it's just that the % effectiveness increases little beyond that. SPF 15 absorbs 93% and SPF 30 about 97%. It's a marketing ploy to a large extent. Best to limit exposure to an hour a day until you have a good deep tan. Use sunscreen/UV blocker if you are in the sun more than fifteen minutes a day....then reapply UV blocker product frequently during the day. Some medications and skin products (Retin) will make you sun-sensitive. Sun is an issue all year in Southern California where you can tan outside in Febriary on some days. Moisturize a lot and remember....excessive sun will lead to leathery skin as you age so don't skimp on skin care.

Here is an informative link on sunscreens:
    http://www.itscc.org/Pati[...]cts.cfm

"How should sunscreen be applied?

Apply daily. Make this a part of your daily routine such as bathing.
    Apply ~30 minutes prior to sun-exposure.
    Apply 1-2 ounce (30-60mls)(~1/2 teaspoon to each arm and to the face and neck. Slightly than one teaspoon to each leg, the chest and the back).
    Apply to all sun-exposed areas. Don't forget lips, ears, back of neck, or back of legs.
    Apply sunscreen as you would if painting a wall in your home. One coat is not adequate for most walls, but merely provides the undercoat. Allow this first "coat" to dry by waiting 10 minutes. You then need to apply a second coat to get adequate covering and protection. If this application method is used, you may not need to reapply sunscreen as often during the day.
    Reapply every 2 hours when out in the sun. When swimming, even waterproof sunscreens loose their effectiveness after 80 minutes in the water. No sunscreen is "rub proof", so after toweling dry from a swim, sunscreen must be reapplied.

Is sunscreen application enough to be protected from the sun?
    No. Wearing protective clothing, a broad brimmed hat, and avoiding the mid-day sun are also recommended. General sun protection.
    "
    • 1980 posts
    May 29, 2006 4:09 PM BST
    Hi Girls-

Thanks for all the info on this thread. Even though I have an olive complexion and don't burn easily I'm trying to avoid any tanning at all as I'm still in the midst of getting my face lasered, getting any more tan is a no-no. And thanks Wendy for the info about SPF, I have some SPF30 so I guess I will give up looking for SPF1000.<g>

Hugs...Joni