Lipstick & Lip gloss

• September 7, 2006 1:59 PM BST
    I am a total beginner with makeup. I have decided to start with the lips. Luckily, I have been blessed with great lips. So: I'm looking for all the information you lovely ladies can provide on applying lipstick and lip gloss. I've already noticed that lip gloss is rather acidic and that it's easy to apply too much.
  • September 7, 2006 9:06 PM BST
    THANKS Wendy, great stuff!
  • September 7, 2006 10:09 PM BST
    Sounds like a makeup party is in order.... wish we could all be in same place. That would be fun. KInd of a wine & cheese & makeovers...

Hugz,
    Michelle Lynn
    • 2573 posts
    September 7, 2006 5:31 PM BST
    There is much advice on makeup available online. Many cosmetic companies have information on their sites. Quite a few TG sites have guides to doing makeup. Finally, there have been a few videotapes, DVDs and Books on makeup done specifically for TGs.

I recommend THE COMPLETE BEAUTY BOOK by Helen Foster as a start. It will help you find YOUR proper hair and makeup styles and colors based on your skin, hair, and eye colors. Even two people with the same hair and eye color can require different makeup and clothing colors based on their skin tones. Get the basics figured out first.

Mary Quant is another great resource and it will help you to find your "color schemes" There are quite a few posts on this topic on TW forums already. I know Joni Cruz has listed some excellent references.

I recommend learning natural looks first and later you can experiment with more exotic looks. For lips, start with keeping them moisturized and smooth. For makeup start with a lip pencil close to your lipstick color (or a touch darker) and line your lips to keep your lipstick from seeping outside your lip line along the lines in the skin of your lips. Whether this line goes at the edge of your lip or outside depends on your lip shape and size. You can increase the apparent size of the lip by putting the line just outside the lip. Purchase a good set of makeup brushes to use. It will give you more control and a better application of makeup. You transfer the lipstick to the brush and apply it to the lips with the brush not the lipstick. When working with crayons and pencils, some people prefer to chill them for 15 minutes in the fridge or freezer so that they don't squooosh when you use them. Make sure you have a sharpener for those....looks like a pencil sharpener.

Don't get frustrated. Remember genetic girls take years to learn thiese skills and some never manage more than the most basic skills. Practice often and your skill will improve.

Eyeliner is one of the most difficult skills and should be left for last to try. Eyebrows are also difficult. Don't poke your eye out with your mascara brush.

I found that relaxing and having fun greatly improved my results when doing makeup. Don't try to rush it and don't worry about perfection. In time you will be more controlled in your application and speed will come.