Mixing hormone types...

• 4 posts
    January 24, 2007 4:03 PM GMT
    This is my first post..... But I was thinking of something.

First off I am under a Dr's care for my hormones. Needless to say my enquiring mind was thinking of something. Would there be a benefit to mixing estrogen or just stick with just one? Ex Climara patches with Estrace.

I am still learning the technical aspects of therapy.... Mainly due to being on them for just a couple of months.
    • 4 posts
    January 24, 2007 11:53 PM GMT
    Thanks for the info. I was just curious regarding the different forms. I guess the guiding factor is which one works the best and stick with it.
    • 136 posts
    March 17, 2007 8:55 AM GMT
    Angela,

With regard to Lucy's statement: "Patches have the advantage over tablets of being less strain on the liver and more efficient, as the liver processes ingested estradiol and excretes most of it from the body (as little as 20% or less of the dose taken will actually get into the bloodstream)."

She's absolutely correct, but my doctors tell me that (some) of the estradiol tablets can be placed under the tongue and allowed to dissolve, much like a nitroglycerin tablet. More estrogen is absorbed directly into the bloodstream, bypassing the digestive tract, and the liver. This can save you money over the patches. The tablets I take are manufactured by Mylan Pharmaceuticals, and they don't taste bad at all.

(Hint: Do not try to dissolve Premarin tablets under your tongue. Trust me.)

Nicole
    • 1652 posts
    January 24, 2007 11:28 PM GMT
    There is no benefit to mixing different types of estradiol, e.g. Valerate and ethinylestradiol, in fact it’s probably not a good idea if only because it would be harder to judge one’s total dosage.
    There is no particular reason however not to mix forms of administration of the same type of estradiol, which is in fact what you are suggesting with Climara and Estrace; they are both 17-Beta estradiol (identical to human estradiol). Patches have the advantage over tablets of being less strain on the liver and more efficient, as the liver processes ingested estradiol and excretes most of it from the body (as little as 20% or less of the dose taken will actually get into the bloodstream). Patches have the disadvantage of being more expensive, and to get a high dosage you’d need to wear several at once, and you’d soon run out of skin on which to place them, as you need to vary the point of application.
    If one is looking for a higher dose than can be practically achieved from using patches, then taking tablets as well would be a possible way to do this. I actually use estradiol gel twice a day, plus estradiol tablets twice a day. It works for me.
    xx