Substitute for Spiro

• 10 posts
    February 3, 2007 2:23 AM GMT
    Hello..I am considering restarting on Spiro after not taking anything for almost 3 years due to some serious medical problems.....Is there a substitute that will have the same effect as Spiro (I was on 200 mg/day before and loved the results) but not have all the possible side effects because of increased potassium AND not cost way way more?..I am not considering estrogen right now but simply want a nice anti-androgyne to cut down my testosterone and above all be safe to take..Thanks
    • 134 posts
    February 4, 2007 11:21 PM GMT
    Hi Sara, dont know if your in US or not but I use cyproterone acetate which is a lot more potent an anti androgen than spiro but I dont think its available in US. Its also well known by its most common trade name of Androcur. You could buy it online tho. like lucy says tho you should also combine it with an estrogen.
    take care,
    Angel xxx
    • 1652 posts
    February 4, 2007 3:02 AM GMT
    I’m no expert, but I do think it’s really not a good idea to attempt to cut testosterone without replacing it with estrogen. The body needs hormones to function. As I’m sure we all know, testosterone is dominant in males and estrogen in females; to have low levels of both is simply not good for the body. Osteoporosis is the first complication that comes to mind as a result of low hormone levels, but this is only one of a long list of problems that you may encounter by reducing testo substantially.
    Spiro is possibly one of the cheapest anti-androgens around (actually it’s not technically an anti-androgen as such, but has the side-effect of blocking testo). The potassium-sparing properties that you mentioned should not be underestimated; hyperkalemia can be fatal. 17-Beta estradiol is hugely safer and will reduce testo without the use of any anti-androgen. Estradiol valerate is another safe option. I would not recommend ANY anti-androgen without the addition of estrogen.
    If you reduce testo, you must replace it with estrogen, or your body may fall apart. The safest way to reduce testo is to just take estrogen.
    Why would you not want to take estrogen?
    xx