Do hormones affect baldness?

• April 2, 2007 8:51 AM BST
    Hormones are still far in the future for me but I was wondering if they would affect hair grouth on the top of my hairless mellon? Does anyone know?
  • April 5, 2007 3:50 PM BST
    Hi Beatrix
    I asked my endocrinologist about the effects of going onto hrt when he recommended that my GP prescribed them for me. He detailed the obvious feminising side of the hormones, growing breasts (it usually takes about 2 years), sterilisation, feminising the facial features and the mental side of periods. He also told me that the antiandrogens would cause a slowing down of body hair growth and a softening of facial hair. I asked about the hair on the head as mine was slowly starting to recede. He told me that I would not go bald and that the receding hairline would not change. Although my hair line has not crept forward again I do have a good head of hair.

Alina
    • 773 posts
    April 5, 2007 8:06 PM BST
    My endo prescribed finasteride to me, which, in the 1 mg dose, is better known as Rogaine, prescribed for hair loss. The dosage prescribed for me was 5 mg, and is commonly used in treatment of growing prostate, and is known in this dosage as Proscar.

It is a commonly used antiandrogen in the US, prescribed along with spironolactone. This is the preferred antiandrogen treatment here in the US, as opposed to androcur elsewhere, because androcur was outlawed after being the subject of a "cruel and unusual punishment" lawsuit, when its most common use in America was for chemical castration of violent sex offenders in the prison system.

Anyway, the use of spironolactone in conjunction with finasteride will definitely stop hair loss. Some users have reported some regrowth, but I think that is purely anecdotal.