What have I noticed ????

• 515 posts
    April 4, 2007 12:44 AM BST
    The main things I have noticed in my change from oral hormones to inter-muscular injections.

1, I have a much better control over my mood swings they have almost gone away “that not to say that I can’t go from plain Jane to full blown super bit** in 1.5 seconds flat”

2, The one thing I get asked the most breast growth “All I can say is damn they have firmed up a whole lot and shaped much more. Still a B cup but spilling now”

3, Libido “what is that ?????”

4, Hips “Dang I am getting them to”

5, Waist “Well yes of course”

6, Skin “Much softer”

7, Fat “If I can’t lose it, it seems to be moving all over the place now !!!! yep that means the butt” “Oh but I have lost over 45lbs so far”

Over all I would say that I am indebted to Marci and my ob-gyn for putting me back on my shots it has made a huge difference in my life. I would say it has been some what like the clouds have parted and I can see myself for the first time. Not worrying about having to take my pills three times a day is a god send as well.

The biggest down to this for me is that I am petrified of needles and it dose leave you some what sore for a day or two.

I would not say this is for every one but it is certainly an option that you may want to consider.

Best of luck
    Sara-Lynn
    • 773 posts
    April 4, 2007 2:20 AM BST
    I may speak to my endo about that. I have had similar results with the transdermal patch, but they are sort of difficult to manage, even if they are only applied once every four days.
    • 773 posts
    April 5, 2007 2:29 AM BST
    As a former drug addict, I can tell you, you'll get over that needle thing real quickly. The convenirnce of it, alone, makes me interested.
    • 515 posts
    April 5, 2007 11:58 PM BST
    Ok I was not quite expecting this kind of response straight off the bat but I will share with you my experiences.

My medication is delivered into the but which dose have a tendency to be a bit sore for a day or two; and to answer Lucy it could be delivered by your self but it is quite difficult as the solution is quite viscous, delivered in one 2ml shot once a week. I have found that to be much much better that than monthly which I found I would have huge highs and lows emotionally. It was similar to extreme PMS dysphoria I know that sounds unreal but toward the end of the month my hormone levels were a mess and I would depress massively and cry for no reason what so ever.
    The viscous solution means you need to use quite a large needle a 22 gage by one and a half inches long. Being an inter-muscular shot you have to draw back to insure and look for blood, to insure you are not directly in the blood stream which is the part that makes it difficult to do your self. Beverly doses my shots as I have a bit of a phobia for needles.
    Yes in all the method is much better on your liver and has a lot less stress on your system than oral system but so are transdermal delivery methods
    Wendy is totally right it goes in the top quadrant of your butt (sorry I just don’t do Gluteus Maximums) there are a lot of things to know and as long as you do it right you will benefit you, clean and sterile is a big thing to avoid infection.

Ok I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck if you are thinking of going this way. Oh and get ready for a whole different feeling of clarity.

Love Sara
    • 773 posts
    April 6, 2007 4:01 AM BST
    OK, so now I'm having second, or maybe even third thoughts about this injection thing. Now the vodka injected oranges, that I could do.
    • 1652 posts
    April 4, 2007 12:58 PM BST
    Hi Sara. Do you do the injections yourself? How often are they and what sort of dosage?
    I'd like to go for that option but having never injected myself I find that a bit daunting. My bf is a nurse and has said he would show me what to do if I should need it, I just have to get my head round sticking needles into myself...
    I doubt my doctor will be keen on prescribing injectables anyway so if I did to decide to do that I'd have to buy them myself. Last time I looked on Inhouse it actually seemed a cheaper way to go than orals. It is surely a safer method of administration, at least less strain on the liver, and by all accounts it's more effective.
    Thanks for sharing that with us Sara.
    xx
    • 2573 posts
    April 5, 2007 3:00 AM BST
    Giving yourself a shot is quite doable....however...there are a few factors to take into consideration.

1. How much medication are you injecting? If it's 2cc you are gonna want to do it in your butt/hip or UOQ as we call it.

2. It the medication given subcutaneously, intravenously or intramuscularly (like hormones).

3. How thick is the medication. It it's thick it hurts more going in and you want to inject it more slowly. Hormones tend to be thick.It may be quite thick. I've injected similar medications into my anterior thigh in 1cc injections. It was not fun and it was not something I'd like to repeat often. So the upper outer quadrant of the Gluteus Maximus is a better site. In addition, for two days afterwards my thighs hurt and I limped slightly. You can learn to do your buttocks, however. I recommend learning to use a Z-track injection technique as well. I have done this routinely for 30 yrs and my patients have far fewer problems at the injection site....I ran a three year controlled test years ago. If the medication is irritating the Z-track will eliminate most problems with it burning the upper layers of tissue. After injection, you may need to massage it into the muscle, making Z tack a good choice because the hole you make closes when the needle is removed.

Ask your doctor/nurse about these techniques. Practice on an orange. I used to use vodka, but I don't recommend it when on hormones. It did make a great party treat, a bowl of intoxicated oranges.

I have read that there are definite advantages to injecting your hormones over oral dosing. All injections carry a risk of infection if your technique is not clean, so do it right. Wash your hands and the area to be injected, dry the site and clean the injection site with a substance like alcohol. Give it a few seconds to evaporate or it will sting when you put the needle in.