Nail Shape

• 171 posts
    April 14, 2008 2:57 PM BST
    Whilst my hands are not particularly large, I'm afraid that they are not too feminine. Thinner, more elegantly proportioned fingers are a dream. My nails - bitten when young, are broader than I would like.
    So, any tips for nail care & presentation?
    I'm not pursuing talons here, just a better shape, lustre.
    Is it perhaps as simple as a series of manicures and greater care?
    • 40 posts
    April 14, 2008 7:16 PM BST
    Hi Rachel,

I struggled with my nails for a long time, a friend of mine was always telling me to just go and get acrylics,,,well,,, one day after many, many tries at growing my own, like most of them broke,or whatever. That was it,, I went,( I did prior to that find out how they should be applied ) I found an excellent nail person, and went for it. O M G, they are wonderful!! - oh,,, yes a few well done manicures will help and yes better care will also. OK, I went with the old fashioned shaped nails, I myself just like it better, there oh, 3/8 to 1/2 long ( out from the tip of your finger) these days I tend to keep them around the 3/8 length. I think the extra lenght helps make ones fingers look longer there by thinner, including the nail itself,,,-- the sguare look justs seems to accent the width... oh, one more thing, the polish lasts a lot longer as well, it really does. oh, they are very strong, way more than my own, once your used to them, you will love them, give them a try?
    OK, so, I hope this helps, let me know, or if you have questions or whatever, just ask-

Take Care of You
    Hugs,
    Bridgette
    • 236 posts
    April 14, 2008 11:19 PM BST
    Hi Racheal.
    Firstly diet is he most essintial requirement for strong and healthy nails check this site

Advice for healthy nails

Foods such as brocolli combined with vitamin's A, B12, and essential minerals calcium and Zinc will over a few weeks give you dramatic changes to the quality of your nails.Also rubbing in plain olive oil even the cheapest one will keep them healthy and shiny.
    My nails are like talons very strong rarely break unless abused by self at work.
    I do the usual manicure keeping them obviously clean shaped by careful trimming folowed by gentle filing.

Hope your nails grow healthy and strong.

Sarah
    • 734 posts
    April 14, 2008 10:43 PM BST
    Hi Rachel,

Two things I swear by for nails.

The first is nail oil. I find the cheap stuff from the local pound shop just as good as expensive salon oil. Initially I applied it every day. Paint it on each nail, under the protruding nail and then massaged around the edges. Reapplying it every time my hands were immersed in water. After a few weeks my nails were in much better shape, considerably stronger and breakages dramatically fell to absolutely minimal.

The next was investing a tenner or so in a good crystal glass nail file. Far kinder on the nails than any other type of file and far easier and faster to shape with.

With those two simple things and a couple of minutes each day, absolutely no need not to have beautiful natural nails - you'll be surprised how many compliments you'll get from other girls!

I have the occasional manicure but really only as a self-pampering thing!

Much love

Rae x