New Girl on the Block!

• 5 posts
    September 13, 2008 7:46 PM BST
    Hi everyone!

I'm Debs. I used to dress a few years back when I lived in Manchester. I'm wanting to step-out again, while at the moment I'm a woman in Second Life. I love it! Being a virtual woman is a great way to see how people interact with you as a woman. I want more! Talk to me about SL if you have any questions

I started a blog here too

Talk later

Love,
    Debs
    X

• 1912 posts
    September 13, 2008 10:27 PM BST
    WOW Sue, you are on a roll. I think I have used words like reality and fantasy before in many of my posts. We don't mean to be blunt Debs, but there is really a difference between a virtual online life as a woman and trying to actually live a life of a woman. From my personal experience let me worn you the closer you get to actually living it, the more boring it gets. I'm not saying that I'm not happy being myself, but those day to day chores really don't care whether you are a guy or gal. I think Sue did a great job pointing out that you even get less credit for doing anything when you are a woman.

So Debs, enjoy life and have fun doing what you like to do, just don't confuse your virtual life with reality.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 5 posts
    September 14, 2008 9:46 PM BST
    Hi Sue,

Believe me I have no illusions that what I do in Second Life equates at all with transitioning in the real world. Maybe it's more like picking the good bits of femininity, but please don't think I'm making light of the downside of being female generally and trans-female in particular. But I will say that the fact of being perceived as female is important to me, and is making me look a lot deeper at my own gender identity

Now, I don't have shares in the company, but I will say some things about SL. Despite how it may appear it is more than a game IMHO. A game has an objective, and points to score or whatever. SL has no obective as such, but does have a community with a thriving music, arts and social scene which is real people creating real things. OK, I admit I might sound like a member of a cult trying to convince non-members about the joys of my religion LOL, but I'm really not trying to gather recruits, just share experience. Though, saying it isn't a game, it is a form of escapism, so no, you don't have the drudgery of real life, (though for some bizarre reason people do install kitchens in their property. That I don't get!). OK, I'll stop banging on about it now

Anyway, no offence taken
    (and none give I hope)
    Hope I can contribute to TW
    • 530 posts
    September 13, 2008 9:50 PM BST
    Debs. This is not directed at you, merely my thoughts on virtual reality. Please do not take it personally, even if it seems that way.
    VR. How real is it?
    If you're married there, do you spend your time juggling a poorly paid part time job with looking after a home, kids, a husband, no time to yourself? When the cooking and cleaning and washing and ironing is done, do you fall asleep exhausted over the bills trying to make ends meet? The last time you bought shoes for yourself was Longer ago than you care to remember - about he time you last had the energy to enjoy him having sex?
    Or maybe you're single, fending off every lech who fancies his chances, explaining to guys that you are up here, not down there, no, you may not touch them, and get your hands off my ass while we're on the subject!
    Are you treated as having the IQ of a goldfish? Are you passed over for promotion because the opposition plays golf? Do you earn less than the guy at the next desk? Are you turned down for jobs because you are of childbearing age, or taken time out to look after your kids and are now considered unemployable?
    All are theorectically not allowed, but life is not fair.
    Yea, I admit those are the low points of the downside, and it may appear exaggerated when all put in one lump, but you only have to ask around and you will find that what I said is the norm, not the exception.
    You can be a successful woman, take home a reasonable salary, have a partner who actually shares your life, bring up your (I say your, as it is you who bears and invariably raises) family. But there are not a lot of you out there!
    Virtual realities are only a plays, everyone is acting, few are themselves, fewer still act and react as they would as themselves. They often they portray an ideal world, out of touch with what really happens.
    I know one person who thought it gave her a grounding on what it would be like when she transitioned, and it was like a slap in the face when she found out life isn't like that at all.
    Suddenly she works in a supermarket, not in IT, she takes home minimum wage, not high in five figures, and the bed of roses has thorns in it.
    No, I have no grudge, and don't want to deny anyone their pleasure. I am merely saying, in my opinion, that virtual reality should be treated for what it is, a game. And if you are just a TV, going out dressed for a night out occasionally, fine, go for it.
    But I believe it really does not give a true impression for anyone thinking of going further, perhaps transitioning.
    SJ.
  • September 14, 2008 6:55 PM BST
    Hi Debs, Welcome to TW hon, hope to see you in chat some time, you will find us a friendly bunch of girls.
    see you soon
    Hugs
    Sammi