estradiol

• 9 posts
    March 17, 2009 5:18 PM GMT
    hi all i was just wondering if anyone has used estradiol and i was wondering if it works
    • 1912 posts
    March 17, 2009 6:27 PM GMT
    Rachel, estradiol is one of several forms of estrogen. You may be more familar with the spelling Oestrodial, which is the european name for the estradiol, they are one in the same. Most MTF transsexuals on hrt use pharmaceutical estradiol of one type or another. We are not doctors here at trannyweb so we tend to reccommend that you see a doctor for the appropriate medication.

Hugs,
    Marsha
  • April 5, 2010 3:16 AM BST
    Marsha is right we here at trannyweb are not doctors, I am taking estradiol and yes it does work and I found out that most of the gals I spoke with is using estradiol. I can tell you go see a endocrinologist (deals in hormones) the doctor will prescribe to you what is needed.
    • 871 posts
    June 4, 2010 7:42 PM BST
    Hiya, I am currently taking Oestradiol valerate at a dose level prescribed by my doctor. The following info could be very interesting for anyone tempted to self-med or take hormones and smoke.

Someone who takes oestrogen without having their bloods monitored are more likely to unwittingly take an overdose of oestrogen which is more likely to occur for those who bypass all of the safety checks that qualified medical personnel put in place. The most common symptom is PMS. Natal women can experience PMS before their menstruation starts and is caused by an imbalance of oestrogen and progesterone. The most common symptoms of PMS include weight gain, bloatedness, breast tenderness, migraine, fatigue and mood swings as well as nausea and food cravings which can be made worse by coffee, alcohol and stress.

The reason one should be extremely careful about taking oestrogen as part of an HRT regime is that if not controlled correctly your chances of DVT (Deep Vain Thrombosis) is increased exponentially and is also the reason why no one should smoke during such treatment as it increases the chances of DVT even further. DVT is usually treated in an operating theatre. DVT usually affects the femoral or popliteal veins and is a blood clot formation that can cause the leg to swell, appear red and warm amongst other symptomsm but most importantly symptoms are not always apparent. If untreated the chances of a pulmonary embolism or aneurysm are increased. A pulmonary embolism is where a blood clot breaks away from the DVT formation and lodges in the lung that may cause breathlessness, chest pain and even collapses of the lung. Another reason to visit the operating theatre. An aneurysm is the ballooning of a blood vessel created by a blockage which may be caused by a blood clot from a DVT formation. Aneurysms most commonly occur in the arteries at the base of the brain (anterior, carotid, posterior and vertebrobasilar) and if the result is not death then severe brain damage (CVA) would be the other most likely outcome. A stroke or CVA (cerebrovascular accident) is where large clusters of brain cells die due to the disruption of blood flow and the likely outcome is the permanent requirement of a wheelchair and a cute little dribble from the side of the mouth.

Is that the look that everyone desires? If the answer is yes then go ahead self-med or smoke!

I step off my little soap box now lol
    Love
    Penny
    X
    PS. I don’t mean to hi-jack the thread but I feel a lot happier saying my piece as well as allowing everyone to discuss what they need to discuss about hormones. Please note that Gender Society is not responsible for or endorses what any member posts! (including me!)
    • 1912 posts
    June 4, 2010 8:41 PM BST
    Thank you for posting that Penny, nice to see you research your medication.

There are some here who believe estradiol 17b because it is bio-identical to human estradiol therefore makes it safe. I would say likely safer, but not necessarily safe. Here is a website with 13 pages of information on Estrace, an estradiol 17b medication. The vast majority of these pages are warnings. Lets be honest, how many self-medicators know enough about their health to see if any of these warnings might pertain to them? Everything from blood pressure, thyroid output, cancers, liver disease and more are associated with estradiol 17b. Maybe the risk for most are minor, but they do exist and to carelessly throw about the term "safe" is irresponsible.

Lets not talk about the self-medicators that use birth control pills or Premarin. Safety is no obstacle for them.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 364 posts
    June 5, 2010 6:39 AM BST
    Despite all the warnings on this thread and other sites, I read somewhere that the majority of TGs etc do not go to Doctors. It would be interesting to know how many of our members do so. Perhaps we could have a poll or am I out of order ?
    • 1912 posts
    June 5, 2010 12:53 PM BST
    You are probably right Joanne. There are also those gals who have silicone parties where they inject sometimes industrial grade silicone into their bodies. You read about the deformities or fatalities of those gals in the news from time to time.

I question how many are truly transsexuals. The crazy thing is how many actually go to greater expenses on their own rather than seeking professional aid. I believe many get caught up in a fantasy and like an addictive drug they just can't stop. You can say that about a lot of behaviors in life though like genetic women who go to the extreme on plastic surgery.

The drag queen shows or female impersonators have an enormous following. Are they just being themselves or are they trying to be someone or something else? I guess they fall under the broad definition of transgender, but I'm not sure where exactly. I have a hard time believing a transsexual, someone who internally believes they are the other gender, wants to be a comedic stage act. I could be wrong and I may get blasted with names of successful female impersonator stage acts.

I think the internet has contributed a little to all this, but definitely not to blame for anything because this behavior has gone on far longer than the existence of the internet. I am talking about the hormone use and other body modifications some people do without medical supervision. I do believe though that the internet has helped to create the belief that it is "OK" because there are others out there doing the same thing.

And finally, no body argues harder than someone who self medicates or has backstreet medical procedures like silicone injections done. And why do they all need DD cup boobs, the average woman is a C. They will argue that one also, apparently they all have large bone frames, lol.

I think a lot of "gals" create a life that they cannot go back from. I hope some are happy. The ones I know that fit this mold are sure struggling.

Do I think talking about this helps anyone? It may shock some of you, but my answer is a resounding "No." I believe true transsexuals will seek professional help at some point in their transition. Some may self med for a period of time between doctors, but they will care enough about their future to make sure they have one. The others simply don't care and will argue it is their right to do whatever they want to their body. Hey don't look for me to get in your way, I have a life to live.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 871 posts
    June 5, 2010 8:52 PM BST
    There are some very significant and worrying points raised here. I can certainly identify with the hopeless outlook that it doesnt matter what I do to attempt to become more female looking as the alternative is I would rather die. That said, when the brain kicks in, I realise its not all about how I look, but how I integrate into society, the work I do and the quality of friends I share my life with. In becoming a successful woman, accepted by everyone, there is a much bigger picture and I believe it is a matter of self respect to approach the "problem" in a sensible manner and with the best effort I can. If this thread and my messages can even just convinse one person to follow a more sensible path and ultimately, with logevity, live as a successful woman, I will be very happy.

Much Love
    Penny
    x

• November 18, 2010 12:55 AM GMT
    Joanne, I am seeing a Doctor because I want to be very safe taking Hormones and to make sure that everything is going right.
  • November 18, 2010 9:19 AM GMT
    Hiya Girls,
    Must put my hands up here as i WAS self meding but all these threads scared me to go to the doctor, which has 2 posative points.
    first i hadn't done any damage
    second i'm on the official journey which i must say is a bit like winning on a scratch card every day.
    Yes the first step into the offical spot light is very scary!! but up till now every ones been great. and i feel safer now things are being
    monitored i did get a proper telling off though from the doctor "bad girl" So whats new i hear you ask!!
    So in retrospect i certainly advise anyone who's going to take meds go to the doctor it's not that bad and the peace of mind is peace
    inside.

big hugs x sabini xoxo

• 134 posts
    November 21, 2010 9:53 PM GMT
    ive had brilliant results using ethinyl estadiol & cyproterone acetate which are both synthetic estrogen & anti androgen
    they are supposed to be very bad for you, in fact they have caused me to grow quite large breasts! Shock! horror!
    • 1912 posts
    November 21, 2010 10:03 PM GMT
    I'm not sure I am so impressed Angel. I mean I am happy to hear you feel you are getting the development you are after, but statements like the quote below from Hemingways.org scare the crap out of me and make me think you are playing Russian Roulette!

More thrombosis events seem to be associated with ethinyl estradiol than any other form of estrogen, probably because of its very long half-life (with resulting hepatic recirculation) and popularity in birth-control preparations. If you must take it because it is the only estrogen you can possibly obtain, use the lowest dosage you can. Unfortunately, a safe dosage is individual and almost unpredictable: some women have suffered thrombosis on 0.035mg/day, some transsexuals have survived 1mg/day.

I'm not going to say any more on the subject.

Hugs,
    Marsha
  • November 22, 2010 4:14 AM GMT
    hiya Angel.
    Marsha is rite hun i got nice boobs too and with luck no nasty problems. It's a mine field of info out in the world, but you are the no.1 in this and for the sake of a chat with your doctor it can be boobs and health. i know which i choose boobs and health and perscription meds least you know for sure what your popping i was on lynoral from singapor or some place who knows what's really in the bag hun.
    be true go long and sign up its all good you'll find the peace of mind is so worth it. !!!!
    be sure its what you want hun boobs aint the be all and end all and you gotta hide em if there only part time first to admit they make the woman but the soul has to be there too...
    massive hugs to you hun hope i'm not the harbinger of doom no boobs but when they start to show man boobs dont cut it xoxo
    • 1652 posts
    November 17, 2009 9:59 PM GMT
    I use it. In fact every TS I've ever met uses it.
    Yes it works.
    xx
    • 746 posts
    February 8, 2011 2:52 AM GMT
    Angel...cyproterone is banned in the USA (I'm almost certain...or it has been rejected by the FDA and whoever else regulated this...) due to side effects, specifically anger management and emotional issues it creates...basically, it might make your mind quite unstable to the point where you act irrationally thru no fault of your own...it's like a bad brain takes over a good brain and you cannot recognize it until the damage has been done. ie: saying or doing things hurtful, irresponsibly, etc. There have been cases of extreme violence by previously calm people and even a killing or two...remember "PCP or Angel dust"? Same type of reaction...
    Back off of it is my advice...there are many alternatives...will be happy to share what I know as alternatives...off the site of course as whatever I seem to come up with gets slammed down too...

Traci