To protect from Osteoporosis

• October 29, 2010 10:57 PM BST
    Hello at all,

my question is... how much mg Oestradiol Valerate is necassary to protect your bones getting Osteoporois?

I am not sure... but I have read that 2 mg are necassary and my doctor told me that .5 mg Oestradiol Valerate would be to low!
    The question is for all POST-OP Transsexual Girls who have to take Estrogen via pills, injections, patches or gels.

What your doctor say?

That is a very interesting topic I would say"

Thanks for your comments,

hugs, Lorie
    • 1912 posts
    October 30, 2010 3:28 AM BST
    Everyone is different, that is why you get bone density scans. Calcium and vitamin D are also important factors in strong bones. Even some genetic women who go through menopause take small estrogen supplements, but many don't. Estrogen is not taken purely for osteoporosis prevention, but is also maintained for energy and strength. Levels can be measured with the proper blood tests. Everyone is different, that is why we don't discuss dosages here and why you should consult your own doctor for what is best for you.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 871 posts
    November 3, 2010 4:05 PM GMT
    Well said Marsha, x.
    Lorielle, to reiterate Marsha, your doctor may prescribe a different dose to what anyone here might say for some reason that no one here would be aware of, hence, the dose you should take should be what your doctor prescribes. Also, it can change every couple of months or so depending on circumstances hence why regular blood tests are also required.
    Love
    Penny
    x

• 1652 posts
    May 1, 2011 9:25 AM BST

lorielle london said:
    ...how much mg Oestradiol Valerate is necassary..?

How long is a piece of string..?

After SRS it will most likely be necessary to take some form of hormone therapy to prevent osteoporosis, probably for the rest of your life. For the same reason natal females might start HRT after menopause, we no longer produce enough hormones to keep our body entirely healthy, so a little help is needed. Not many TS's complain about having to take oestrogen though; we tend to welcome it!

How much oestrogen supplement is needed though is probably pure guesswork. I'd imagine that 2mg per day would be sufficient, this is a common dosage for post-menopausal women, at least the ones I have spoken to about the subject. I am talking 17-Beta estradiol here, maybe now the most popular form of HRT prescribed in this country. The smallest pill available is 1mg, as far as I know. I can't imagine a GP prescribing any less than this amount.

But quantities "required" for either post-menopausal HRT or post-op HRT are entirely arbitrary. Amounts needed depend on results achieved, in my opinion.

xx

This post was edited by Lucy Diamond at May 1, 2011 9:27 AM BST