Rashes from Shaving

• September 2, 2002 10:25 PM BST
    Do any of you get rashes on your arms and legs after shaving or using other methods of hair removal? I usually use lotion afterwards, but I often get a bit of a rash especially on the back of my thighs, depending on what I wear. When I'm in dresses and skirts, it's not as much of a problem, but when I have to dress as a man, the pants and some of the long-sleeved shirts irritate my skin. Sometimes it helps to wear pantyhose, but I don't like wearing them under men's clothes (more of a comfort issue than a psychological issue).

I just wondered how the rest of you dealt with this problem.
    • 246 posts
    September 21, 2002 9:02 PM BST
    can you believe it? so crass isnt it.

i was prepared to try to find the dosh for the tosh, and got a mindfuk for the effort.

is life that hard all the time.

no i'm sure its not. >:(
    • 246 posts
    September 21, 2002 7:17 PM BST
    I JUST PHONED A BEUTY CLINIC AND ASKED HOW MUCH IT WOULD BE FOR LASER FACIAL TREATMENT...
    THEY ASKED, IS IT FOR YOUR WIFE OR GIRLFRIEND?

I SAID NO, ITS FOR ME , A MAN.
    THEY SAID WHY.
    I SAID I NEED TO PERMANENTLY REMOVE MY FACIAL HAIR

THEY SAID THEY COULDNT DO A MAN WITH THEIR TREATMENT.

I SAID "HOLD ON A MINUTE, YOU ADVERTISE FACIAL HAIR REMOVAL BY LASER, SO WHY CANT YOU TAKE A MAN AS A CUSTOMER?"

THE GIRL ANSWERED VERY HARSHLY, THAT OTHER CUSTOMERS WOULD FEEL UNEASY ABOUT A MAN RECIEVING TREATMENT IN THEIR SALON.

I ASKED WHY IT WOULD CONCERN THEM AS ANY TREATMENT SHOULD BE PRIVATE SURELY.

SHE SAID... I'M NOT PREPARED TO DISCUSS IT ANYMORE.

HUMPH!
    I WONT BOTHER TRYING THEM FOR ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING.
    I'VE JUST PENNED A LETTER TO THEIR DIRECTOR AND WILL POST IT SO IT ARRIVES MONDAY.
    AND I MENTIONED THE YOUNG LADY'S NAME (IF I DARE CALL HER A YOUNG LADY)

ALL I WANTED WAS A PRICE.. SO I COULD TRY AND RAISE A BUDGET.

I HATE SHAVING RASH....

• February 22, 2003 7:33 AM GMT
    Hi Mystra

Welcome.

Over here on TrannyWeb there's no such thing as "nothing". I hope you'll feel able to post a bit more about yourself.

Best wishes

Sarah
  • September 21, 2002 6:13 PM BST
    Around the time I started this topic, I changed my shaving routine and started using a triple-bladed razor and Skintimate shave cream (it's better than the gel) instead of the double-bladed razor and Noxema shave cream I had used for years. It has made a world of difference. My skin isn't nearly as irritated to begin with, so I rarely get a rash afterwards. Lotion and powder can help, especially if you plan on doing any exercize or work in pants or long-sleeved shirts, where they'll be rubbing your skin, but the big difference is apparently in the way I removed the hair.

By the way, products such as Nair irritated my skin as badly, if not worse, than shaving. Also, if you aren't careful, those products can burn your skin without your realizing it until it's too late. I think shaving is the best method for temporary removal on a regular basis (waxing does a good job, but it's not very practical for me).

Thanks for all of the input. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/fashionlab/Images/Smileys/Stevie02.gif
  • September 21, 2002 9:38 AM BST
    Hi Kris

Thanks, but I'm a lazy cow and that would mean getting out of the bath. ;D ;D ;D

Hugs

Sarah
  • October 9, 2002 5:27 AM BST
    Thanks. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/fashionlab/Images/Smileys/Smile01.gif
  • September 21, 2002 9:12 AM BST
    Kris

I use a triple blade razor, but not a new blade as I find they always nick me. The problem with a triple blade is that they clog with hair very easily. So I use a push-me-pull-you technique (apologies to Dr. Doolittle).

I shave in the bath and pull the razor towards me to shave then, whilst still keeping it in contact with the skin, push it away. The pushing unclogs most of the hair.

Now, if anybody has any tips for how you make sure you.ve got all the hair from the back of your thighs and your bum, in the absence of somebody to do it for you, I'd be grateful.

Hugs

Sarah
  • October 9, 2002 3:23 AM BST
    HI LADIES, ACOUPLE OF HINTS FOR SHAVING.BUY A GOOD QUALITY LADIES RAZOR,THROW AWAY THAT MACH III .THE PITCH & DISTANCE BETWEEN THE BLADES IS VERY DIFFERENT BETWEEN MEN'S & LADIES RAZORS.DON'T USE SOAP OR GEL ETC. USE HAIR CONDITIONER ON YOUR HAIR,APPLY IT THICK,THEN SHAVE,ONE PASS,& NEVER GO OVER THE SAME SPOT WITHOUT PUTTING ANOTHER LAYER OF CONDITIONER.NEVER USE HOT WATER,ALWAYS COOL ONLY.THIS WORKS GREAT ON FACIAL HAIR THE CONDITIONER REALLY SOFTENS THE HAIR & SKIN.....FOR RASHES ON THE BUM OR OTHER PLACES DON'T USE POWDER IT CONTAINS TOO MANY CHEMICALS,USE CORNSTARCH.PURELY NATURAL & CHEAP,IN THE FLOUR & SUGAR AISLE IN THE SUPERMARKET.-----I HAD TO LAUGH ABOUT JULIE'S PROBLEM WITH THE LASER REMOVAL PEOPLE.WHEN I CALLED A COSMETOLOGIST TO HAVE A CONSULTATION SO THAT MY MAKE-UP WOULD ALL THE RIGHT COLOR-TONE ETC. FOR MY COMPLEXION.THE VOICE ON THE OTHER END OF THE PHONE WAS VERY COOL TO ME .THE LADY FINALLY TOLD ME THE ONLY APPOINTMENT SHE COULD GIVE ME WAS 7AM.LATER SHE WOULD BE BUSY WITH "REAL WOMEN".I TOLD HER THAT MY MONEY'S THE SAME COLOR AS THIER'S.  :o I'VE BEEN LIVING EVERY DAY AS A WOMAN,I HAVE TO PASS BECAUSE I ALWAYS USE THE LADIES ROOM   :I THINK THAT I'LL OPEN A NEW THREAD ON RESTROOMS LOOK FOR IT SOON  LOVE ----PHYLISS
    • 530 posts
    October 5, 2002 4:16 PM BST
    Julie-re your problem with the laser clinic.I have used a national chain,Hairaway,and a Tao clinic,and been quuoted at another local laser operator.Non had any problems with gender.Maybe you picked an awkward one? Costs are generally around £100 per treatment,Hairaway a bit less,and don't let them fool you into believing 4-5 goes will be enough! 6-10 is nearer for a beard,over about a year.Beards are tough customers!
    As for shaving,Once I changed to using gels or foams designed for women,along with a similar razor,I have had no rash problems,even on the little bit of my face where the hair still persists in coming through.And I also found a slightly used razor is better.
    Sue.X
  • September 5, 2002 1:53 AM BST
    Yes, I have an hour's drive to work, then I sit in an office chair most of the day. Maybe more powder would help.
  • October 5, 2002 7:33 AM BST
    I'll admit that Nair does remove the hair, but it wasn't very kind to my skin, so I stopped using it. I still got rashes while using it, as well. In the USA, you can find it in any grocery or drug store. The roll-on version is the easiest to use, I think.
  • September 3, 2002 9:26 PM BST

Could be, I changed my shower gel recently. To a product with tea tree oil and mint. smells like you're brushing your teeth but oh so refreshing. I see my skin has improved too.
    I tend to dust off with some baby powder, the new one with jasmine is good.
    Sitting in the drivers seat or an office chair tends to give me a rash on the back of my legs anyway.
  • September 3, 2002 1:27 AM BST
    I've been shaving my legs regularly for more years than I can count, so that's not it. Maybe it's the lotion.
  • October 2, 2002 5:20 PM BST
    Thanks, Shalom.

So, the attitude in Hong Kong is much more intolerant?
    • 195 posts
    September 3, 2002 1:02 AM BST
    I used to have that problem Stevie - but it seems to have gone away now - not suer why - Its possible thst the hormones have altered the skin structure a little and the poors are smaller - My hair is finer now - that may have a bearing - regular shaving for two years also seems to help - the body adjusts to not having hair and also I seldom wear male clothes - though I do wear jeans and trousers, the fabric is softer.

So I can't tell yo which of those is the reason te the problem going away but one or other of them worked.

• October 3, 2002 12:08 AM BST
    waxing hurts ive found that if you have good razors and a good shaveing cream with vitamine e and baby oil like skintamate really helps as for shaveing the back of your thighs I know genetic females that havent figured that out yet but we probably shave more than they do any way.
                                        kelly
  • February 26, 2004 9:17 AM GMT
    As I have the worlds most sensitive skin, put me in a room with a razor and I break out, I have spent years trying to find stuff that reduces or prevents razor burn. Finally after many failures I have found a solution

I wash the area I'm going to shave in warm water and a soap free cleanser (Nivea for Men) then for my face i use King of Shave's oil and a Mach3 blade, for the rest of my body I use a good shaving foam (Nivea for Men Sensitive or King of Shaves Sensitive) and a Gillette Venus3 blade (fits the Mach3 handle). I shave both with and against the grain to get the closest shave i can, making sure I rinse the blade in a pot of clean water, which also reduces the tide line!
    Once I have finished shaving, I use a styptic pencil to stop any bleeding and wipe any delicate areas with a baby wipe to remove any traces of oils or dirt which will cause 'barbers rash'. Finally I use a product called 'Stubble Stop' which moisturises and reduces the regrowth of facial hair. There is also a product for body hair that does the same but I can't find that in France.
    It seems like a lot of effort but since I started with this programme I haven't suffered from shaving rash once, so I must be doing something right.

For those in UK you can find Stubble Stop in any large Boots the Chemists and they also do the body hair reducing moisturiser. Stubble Stop is in the male grooming section and the other one might be in the ladies hair removal section.

Hope that helps

Alex
    • 1980 posts
    February 26, 2004 11:54 PM GMT
    Hi Stevie-

Thanks for starting such a useful thread. I really appreciate Alexandra's tips and everyone else's as well. Alex, do you know if any of the products you mentioned, aside from the razors themselves, are available on this side of the pond?

Shaving's not so bad once you get used to doing it, I just get up twenty minutes earlier than I used to and do it with my morning shower. Like you, Stevie, I have problems with a rash on the backs of my thighs. Is yours scattered little bumps? My guess is that it's ingrown hairs partly from sitting down and partly from having to dress en drabbe while at work. I think wearing pants makes it worse, a skirt or dress would be so much nicer. My job keeps me tied to a desk most of the day, which is why I'm always trying to diet, too.<lol> Oddly enough, though, as a kind of fashion aside, I think even if I were "out" and wore a skirt to work I would stand out, since almost all the g-girls at work wear slacks about 99% of the time.
  • October 5, 2004 6:29 PM BST
    I just bought a Intution ladies razor made by Schick. It is really great. I has a good size handle with an excellent grip, three razors an it put down a layer of moisturizer before and after the blade shaves. I am having excellent results with it.

I do have a question. I have a little hair on my back which I can't get at with my razor does anybody have any experence with removing back hair - or suggestions? Lynn
  • October 7, 2004 12:38 AM BST
    I can't believe this topic is still going... LOL

Joni, the backs of my thighs are the most rash-prone areas. I've tried just about every type of women's and men's razor and shave gel/foam/cream, and nothing makes much of a difference with the rash factor. I've been thinking and talking about it for a while, but I'm very serious about getting laser (Epilight) hair removal for my face and body, so that I'll be done with it.

Lynn, aside from having someone else take care of that for you, I suppose you could create a long handle for your razor and use two mirrors.
  • October 8, 2004 2:19 AM BST
    Stevie - I tried that did not work that great! Someone actually invented a stick and razor contaraption to remove back hair - but I think I am going to pass and just ask a friend to help me out. Thanks for the reply. Lynn
  • November 19, 2004 11:21 AM GMT
    Joni,

Through this technological marvel we call the web I believe StubbleStop can be purchased just about anywhere. www.stubblestop.com I think is the address. King of Shaves should be available on your side of the pond as it came from there to UK and as for anything else you should be able to find them in any good large supermarket or chemists.

Alex
    xxx
  • February 9, 2005 6:52 AM GMT
    Hi everyone! im new here and wantedto thank everyone for all the great advice ive found here. i am def going to try Phyliss' suggestion to use hair conditioner.
    Just to add my two cents in the shaving dilema: In the past I had shaved using a Venus razor and shaving gel. It seemed to work very well as I had little irritation and few ingrown hairs *yuK!* After a recent move and a lapse in shaving for several months I felt it was time to feel smooth again so I bought some disposible razzors. I would recomend to anyone to STAY AWAY from the Bic Comfort 3 type. They were a tripple blade with a lotion strip but still they tore up my legs somthing awful and i had to stop before i could even pass my knee. My mach3 even worked better!

Also, does anyone know of any lotions or anything that help to slow hair growth and even make the hair thinner??
    Thanks again,
    Jodie

• February 9, 2005 8:34 AM GMT
    Jodie,

I have to agree with you that the disposable razors are amongst the worst in the world for cutting you. I actually wrote to Gillette once about them and they told me it is probably due to the blades being too sharp!! Definitely worth spending the extra on the quality blades.

As for hair minimising/retarding lotions and potions, there are several different types out there if you look for them. The ones I use are StubbleStop http://www.stubblestop.com and Roc Epil Control (which is soya based) both work well for me. The StubbleStop actually means I can shave everyday (see earlier post) and results in almost no irritation.
    I have tried several other lotions over the years, which I have found in Boots the Chemist so you should be able to find similar in any large chemist store in US, all of which seem to be in the ladies area of hair removal products. So see what you can find and just try them out until you find one that works for you.

One other place to try is http://www.body4real.com and online store with heaps of removal and inhibitor products.

Hope that helps.

Alex
    xxxx
  • May 31, 2005 12:27 PM BST
    Hi,

Gillete series Gel (moisturising) and Gillete sensor twin blades work wonders for me on the legs and arms. Sometimes use Supadrug moisture enriched hair removal cream, all depends on how much time I have.
    I will sometimes get a rash on my inner thigh especially if I perspire whilst wearing trousers or hip hugging denim
  • June 22, 2005 10:43 PM BST
    I have those little bumps on the back of my legs too. A product called "TendSkin" will really dry out skin and then the hairs will pop out and can be pulled out.

"Ultra Hair Away" spray works fairly well in reducing the growth rate of hair, once it's been pulled or cut.

I use an epilator, a battery/cord powered set of wheels that pull hair out by the root. I had an Emjoi epilator, but it quit working soon after I bought it. I'm looking for another brand now.
  • June 22, 2005 10:49 PM BST
    I believe "Surgicream" makes a hair retardant. I have used "Ultra Hair Away" spray and it really slows down hair growth. If hair is pulled out by the roots, it tends to come back finer, automatically. I use an epilator to pull hairs out.