Make Up Brushes - how to care for them

• April 5, 2004 10:33 AM BST
    OK, so I have managed, over the years, to build up a reasonable collection of make up brushes. Some good some not so good but all of which have a purpose to play. Only trouble is I could do with cleaning them as they are beginning to get clogged with make up. I have heaps of brushes for eyeshadows as I'm good and never use a brush for more than one colour, these are the worst, it's getting to a point where i'd be better using a spoon it would give a better finish.

Does anyone have any good ways of cleaning make up brushes? PLEASE!!

Alex
    xxx
  • April 5, 2004 11:54 AM BST
    Good idea Sandra, but doesn't really help when you already have the brushes. I'll keep an eye open for something similar here in France.

Thanks
    Alex
  • April 5, 2004 3:41 PM BST
    Thanks Catherine for that I will try the pure soap method first. Sounds similar to cleaning paint from paint brushes, now why did i not think of that!! D'oh!

Alex
    xxx
  • April 5, 2004 2:20 PM BST
    Alex

My make-up book recommends these two methods:
    1. wash the brush in warm water with pure soap or mild hair shampoo, squeeze out the make-up while the brush is under water, rinse in clean water and leave on a clean dry towel to dry
    2. order some non-toxic brush cleaner from a professional make-up supplier, dip the brush into the cleaner, remove and wipe on a tissue. The brush dries very quickly.

The book says you should clean brushes at least once a month, and those for lipstick and concealer more often as they often become sticky and pick up dirt.

Hope this helps

Catherine
    • 1980 posts
    April 7, 2004 10:58 PM BST
    Hi Alexandra & Cat-

Thanks for the tips on cleaning makeup brushes, was kind of wondering my self. I have another little tip, not so much on cleaning them, but on buying them. You may already do this, but instead of buying them at cosmetics counters try art supply stores. I went to Michael's (they're a chain of craft stores here in the Northwest and maybe all over the US, but don't know for sure) a few days ago and got some great deals on natural bristle artists brushes that were on sale. I got a couple of those big fat ones (I'm sure artists have names for them, I didn't look, just grabbed them) for dong foundation and powder and some small, narrow ones for lips and eye colors. Also got a small fan one for doing mascara. They work really good and I got 7 brushes for less than $20.