Selecting Wigs

• 2627 posts
    January 29, 2005 2:45 PM GMT
    Can I get some how to's & where to's. I've allways loved long brown hair. Mom allways said I'd end up with a girl with long brown hair, big boobs & a little but. She knew me so well.
    • 1980 posts
    February 5, 2005 12:24 AM GMT
    Hey Karen-

I second Abi on the Wilshire wigs thing, they have a tremendous selection and price ranges from incredibly inexpensive to ridiculously (at least to me) overpriced. There is a difference in qualities among different makers, but if you're shopping for a look for yourself and you're not really sure exactly what you want, I'd buy a few less expensive wigs instead of one nicer one and then once you find a style you like you can get one of higher quality like it.

And personally, I would go with synthetic, you really can't tell the difference and they are so much easier to care for.

Good luck and have fun. I think wigs are one of the cool things about being a t-girl you can totally change how you look by just clapping a different wig on your head. From long brunette tresses past your shoulders to a curly short blonde number. So fun.

Hugs, Joni
  • March 10, 2005 9:55 PM GMT
    Hi, I've bought a Revlon synthetic wig and think its great. You can treat it in the most outrageous ways and then just give it a shake and a brush and it looks fab again! Easy to wash as well.
    I went on the web and looked at the styles, etc. available first and then bought from a good dept. store - "it's for a friend"
    Don't buy a cheap one off the web or anywhere, mine cost £230 ($460) and it's worth every penny, GGs say it looks great.
    LOL girls, Jan xxxx
  • March 13, 2005 1:27 AM GMT
    Hi Gloria,
    Do you have any tips on the care and feeding of wigs?
    One wig I have says you can wash and style it,. Is that
    advisable?

Hugz,
    Michelle
    • 1652 posts
    March 13, 2005 2:31 PM GMT
    hi michelle
    i was strongly advised against using regular shampoo on my wig, but most of the online wigstores sell a suitable wig shampoo which i use every few weeks. makes a big difference. i also got some conditioning spray which really does help with styling, and to de-tangle, and for general appearance.
    obviously with synthetic hair you can't use any heated styling gadgets like straighteners or curlers. i usually just comb my wig straight, but once had a makeover where they styled it something like farrah fawcett, a bit more glam than i was used to but quite cool. so yes you can style it without ruining it. a good quality hairspray (for real hair) is a good idea if you're going to do anything with it, a good one will just brush out.
    i've started going out in my own hair now, it's no less hassle believe me, quite the contrary!
    • 2627 posts
    March 13, 2005 2:42 PM GMT
    Gloria thats a good idea. I have one & just orderd 2 more(longer hair) One real hair one not. When I was young long hair was the style. Mine was to my waist allmost. I cut it off to help find a job.
  • March 13, 2005 6:28 PM GMT
    Hi Gloria, Lucy and Karen,

Thank you for the advise. I have also fried one of my wigs, attempting to style it with heat. As for washing, I will let my local wig shop care for them.

For those of you getting your 1st wig, breath in deeply and walk into your local shop. I remember all of the fear and anticipation of "What will they say"?

It turns out that it was not that unusual for a male to shop there. They were wonderful! They not only welcomed me, but I spent the better part of 2 hrs trying on different looks, colors and styles. The color and style I finally decided upon was quite different than what I had picked by looking over the web. That experience made me realized that my fear was unfounded, and how helpful the sales people can be regardless of my gender.

Hugz,
    Michelle Lynn
    • 2627 posts
    March 13, 2005 7:04 PM GMT
    Michell If I could just say the heck with & go it would solve a lot. Ive waisted a lot of money buying junk. Not realy any closer than when I started. At least TW has me in right direction.
    • 2627 posts
    March 23, 2005 12:27 AM GMT
    2 wigs just arrived. The one real hair is nice but a little tight fitting. The other looks like it belongs in trash. I've allways been afraid of what people might think. But the HELL with that. I'm taking Gloria's advice to have them fixed right. The next hair I buy I'm going in & getting help from people who know. For both fitting & style. No more on-line crap for this girl.
    • 2627 posts
    March 23, 2005 1:57 AM GMT
    You look pretty good. Shoot I'd have been trying to go out with you. Right now I'm one peed bi'.h. The one is such a tangled mess I don't know if it can be fixed. The other fits so tight I can't get it to stay in place. I just want to get one pic I can post. Thats one reason I wanted to go to your nite out. I wouldn't have dressed but I could have met some people. Talked to them, ask questions. You can read about how to do it here but it's not the same. I don't think I will ever pass but I want to look my best.