Tend Skin

• 1980 posts
    November 6, 2005 2:14 AM GMT
    Just wondered if anyone has tried this product, it's called Tend Skin Liquid and it's available here:

http://www.tendskin.com

I saw an ad for it in a magazine a few days ago and went to the website, it sounds very interesting and the site has some pretty good info on ingrown hairs and razor bumps and some shaving tips. I think I'm going to order a little bottle just to try it out anyway, but I was curious if anyone here had used it before and if it really worked for them.

Thanks for any responses on this.

Hugs...Joni
    • 1652 posts
    November 6, 2005 1:12 PM GMT
    Yes I’ve tried it. I’ve always had awful problems whatever hair removal method I use, and get ingrowing hairs all over the place. Shaving though I particularly hate, as does my skin.
    This stuff does help, it’s perhaps not the miracle cure they claim it to be but it does seem to work. Exfoliation is important to avoid ingrowers, as Sarah pointed out, and this stuff seems to help the process by spot-treating the problem areas (gentler than using steel wool anyway!)
    If you use a lot it makes the skin dry and flaky (always wash your hands afterwards) so perhaps that’s how it works, making it easier for the hairs to get through.
    However, it’s quite expensive, 15 quid for a small bottle, but I’ve found an alternative – alcohol gel, since that’s basically all it is with a bit of salicyclic acid thrown in (like you’d find in clearasil etc). The alcohol gel is about 6 quid for a bottle more than four times the size. I always use it straight after epilating and for the next few days to keep the red dots down, and stop ingrowing hairs appearing. It really helps, and you can use it anywhere, and it doesn’t cause the flakiness like Tend Skin, except on your fingertips if you don’t wash your hands after. I’m lucky because my boyfriend is a nurse so gets me it for free, but you can buy it online (try: http://www.excalibur-hygi[...].421563) and I wouldn’t be surprised if your local chemist could source it for you. Tend skin is about 12 times more expensive, and if like me you need to use it on your arms and legs as well as face those little bottles won’t last long at all. I’m glad I tried it though, if only to find out what was in it and discover a much cheaper alternative!
    xx
    • 1980 posts
    November 7, 2005 2:09 AM GMT
    Thank you, Lucy! You're so clever!<big hug> After reading the list of ingredients on the website I had put on my little mad-scientist cap and was wondering if I could maybe crush up some aspirin and dissolve them in alcohol or something, but your idea is much, much better. I agree about the price, it seems awfully expensive for such a small amount and such relatively common ingredients.

I exfoliate like crazy and it does seem to cut down on ingrown hairs but I still get them, especially on the backs of my legs for some reason. My wife is an RN, I'll see if she has source for alcohol gel thru the clinic where she works.

It was also kind of interesting to read about razor blades and how they're made from the cheapest sort of stainless steel. I suppose if they made them to last the couldn't sell so many. I usually get a week's use out of each blade, maybe I shouldn't be so cheap and just change them more often.<lol>

Thanks for the tip, Lucy. You're a doll.

Hugs...Joni

A little followup, I asked my wife about where to get alcohol gel last night and she gave me a strange look and said, "You mean like the stuff in the bathroom and the pantry and glove box and my coat pocket?" Duh, all those hand sanitizer thingies are made from alcohol gel and they're way cheap. So later today I will be crushing up some super cheap aspirin (acetasalicylic acid) and mixing them up with some of that stuff and we shall see how it works.

Thanks for the great idea, Lucy. You're an angel.