Make up on clothes

• April 28, 2004 3:10 PM BST
    OK I admit it I must be doing something wrong. It doesn't matter how hard I try I keep getting makeup (foundation normally) around the neck of my jumpers and blouses.

So what am I doing wrong and what should I be doing to stop it happening?
    (and before you say don't wear makeup on your throat/neck I have to use something to cover the beard shadow)

Alex
  • April 29, 2004 5:14 AM BST
    When I went in last week and had a makeover he had a neat little net that you put over your head and zip up the front so as not to disturbe your makeup when you slip something over your head. It works great.
  • April 29, 2004 10:59 AM BST
    Cat,

Will try the shawl idea, I'm sure I have an old pillow case that would do just the job (and it can be boil washed!!!).

I seem to have more of a problem once my tops are on rather than putting them on. I wear a lot of roll necks to cover my throat and I find the edge gets covered as I move my head. It's as if I haven't set my foundation right or something. Anybody any ideas?

Tressa, not sure what you mean about the net but sounds interesting. I have visions of a large zip up fishnet stocking but if it worked then I'm curious.

OK, oing to find pillow case and experiment.

Alex
    xxx
  • May 13, 2004 10:21 AM BST
    Cathy,

Ummm perhaps that could be it. I will try using more powder around my throat and leaving it all a little longer to set properly before putting on my tops.

I'm sure I'll get there eventually

Alex
    xxx
    • 1198 posts
    May 13, 2004 10:39 AM BST
    Me too alex every time i put make up on, i too get it round the neck line which is a pain. Any advice would be greatly received xxx JULIE
    • 430 posts
    May 30, 2004 12:10 PM BST
    Hello All,

I think this is my first trip to the make up board.

Now I may be going about this the wrong way around but, what I do is get dressed then put on my make up. To ensure I don't get any on my clothes I wrap a towel around me like a cape.

I only apply foundation to the spot on my neck where the shadow is greatest, that way it blends nicely with my natural skin tones.

Don't know if thats any help to you or not. There it is anyway...
  • June 1, 2004 12:07 PM BST
    Mmmmmm hairspray, might work. As I need to get some to stop my hair ending up all fly away anyway I might give this a try. Thanks Joni.

I have salvaged an old t-shirt from my offshore gear and now use that to protect my clothes from makeup when I put it on, seems to have made a difference but still getting marks. Might need to confide in my make up advisor and see what she has to offer.

More advice gratefully recieved and I'm glad I'm not the only one with this conundrum

Alex
    xxxx
  • June 1, 2004 1:35 PM BST
    Alex,
    Here are some pics of the makeup net for you to look at. It has a zipper down the front and you just slip it over your head to cover your face, then pull your clothing over. Also I would be careful using hairspray directly on your skin, I would think it could close the pores on your skin and cause problems.

I got the net at studiolites.com in denver
  • July 29, 2004 11:31 AM BST
    OK update on this.

After several attempts and following the advice given I seem to have made a breakthrough!!

I now put my top on first, cover it with my recycled t-shirt and apply a new foundation. I now use Revlon's colourstay foundation. Sets in 60 secs and doesn't rub off. I let it set and apply powder to my face and chin only, not my neck area.

After removing my t-shirt I finish the rest of my makeup before finally positioning the neck of my top in the right place. So far I have reduced the appearance of make up on clothes dramatically. If I'm wearing a roll neck I also use a safety pin in the back to pull it tighter against my neck thus reducing the movement of the top against my skin.

Well it all works for me.

Alex
    xxx
    • 1198 posts
    July 29, 2004 11:39 AM BST
    Alex, i got a 3 in 1 foundation a sheer finish wet&dry it works brilliantly, so far touch wood i haven't had any make-upon my clothes. Is this the magic formula???......love JJ xx
  • August 12, 2004 10:44 AM BST
    Latest news on this.

After using the safety pin idea a couple of times and stabbing myself with it. I cam up with a better idea. I now have a small elastic choker I wear in the fold of my rollnecks to stop them moving. Gives a much smoother line around the neck and prevent it moving very nicely. Also a lot more comfortable as it gives when I swallow.

Alex
    xxxx
    • 1198 posts
    August 12, 2004 11:15 AM BST
    That sounds promising Alex, mighht have to give that a go, infact i think i need a poncho or something it will be easier......love JJ xx
    • 124 posts
    August 12, 2004 12:29 PM BST
    hi girls,
    this may or maynot help u, but there is a spray u can get to fix makeup to ur face, but im afraid i dont no wot its called
  • April 28, 2004 9:53 PM BST
    How about wearing an old t-shirt when you apply your make-up, and only put your girly tops on when you've finished?

If they're the sort of tops that have to go over your head, so have to go on first, you could wear a towel as a shawl while putting on the foundation.

I know what you mean though. For me it's powder, powder everywhere, including all over my nice new dress!

love
    Cathy
    • 2068 posts
    April 29, 2004 11:51 AM BST
    i know how you feel honey,i have that same problem myself.just wish i knew a way to cure it.lol maria
  • April 29, 2004 7:14 PM BST
    Alex, if your top gets covered when you move your head, I guess that's after you've applied your makeup. This may sound like a simple question but are you using enough powder? After all, that's what sets your makeup (and should stop it attaching itself to your clothes). That's powder over everywhere including your neck.
    • 1980 posts
    May 30, 2004 3:20 AM BST
    Girls-

I got a great tip a few days ago from another t-girl, she sprays (very lightly, of course, and with her eyes closed) hair spray around her neck and chin. She says it really helps keep makeup off of collars, etc. Haven't tried it yet, but will next time I get a chance. Seems to make sense, I've heard of using hairspray as a fixative for charcoal drawings, etc. She recommended just using the cheapest stuff you can find and just a quick spritz.

Hugs, Joni from Oregon
  • August 12, 2004 12:35 PM BST
    Yeah, I think it's called Ronseal Liquid Varnish! Just joking Fay

Cerys xx