Huge Step Taken

• 2463 posts
    March 7, 2007 5:48 PM GMT
    I see the endo again at the end of the month. He wants me to register with a gender clinic before starting me on HRT.

Today I made that appointment. I see them in 2 weeks. Then I see the endo the following week.

I'm on my way.
    • 2573 posts
    March 8, 2007 5:24 AM GMT
    Good luck, Mere.
    • 2017 posts
    March 8, 2007 10:20 AM GMT
    Great news Mere, nice to see something positive happening for you. Hope everything goes well.
  • March 12, 2007 9:02 AM GMT
    Meredith's situation shows the vast difference between the UK and US.

I was diagnosed as being gender dysphoric by the consulting psychiatrist but the Primary Care Trust had conditions in place whereby I had to be resident in the County foy a minimum of 2 years and have had to be on my real life experience for at least a year before I could be referred to the GIC. The psychiatrist referred me to the top Endocrinologist in the county and I have been on prescribed HRT and anti-androgens for a year now.
    Back in November 2006 the psychiatrist referred me to the London GIC and I'm still awaiting an appointment there. By the way I've been on the RLE for 15 months now and have lived in Oxfordshire for 2 years.

Big differences.
    • 1652 posts
    March 12, 2007 1:19 PM GMT
    Blimey Alina, I’ve never heard of a PCT requiring you to do a year’s RLE before even being referred to a gender clinic, that’s slightly crazy really…
    Normally the gender clinic are the ones who approve hormone treatment, after 2 appointments there and minimum 3 months full-time, so I’m glad you’ve at least got a prescription in the meantime.
    May I ask who is your endo and what has he put you on?
    Wherever your PCT, treatment on the NHS is going to take time, patience is required. I’m starting to wish I’d gone private, but then I think of the money…
    Best of luck on your journey Meredith, how does it work in the US; do you have to pay for treatment or is it covered by health insurance?
    I’m sure you’ll find that a bit of estrogen in your system will make you feel a whole lot better by the way; it works for me!
    xx
    • 2463 posts
    March 12, 2007 2:24 PM GMT
    Thanks, girls.

One thing to keep in mind that all this has not happened overnight for me.

Lucy, until I speak to the insurance people this week, I believe I have to pay for this myself. I will find out and post it here.
    • 136 posts
    March 17, 2007 10:22 AM GMT
    Congratulations Meredith!

I haven't checked in here for a while, but I used to follow your blog quite closely. Your story has been very compelling, and I am very happy to see that things have been going better, (at least emotionally and socially) you're spirits are much more upbeat today than a year or so ago. Once you get started on the hormones, I think that your inner light is likely to outshine the other issues.

But, be prepared for one h*ll of a ride on the emotional roller-coaster that really gets going within about a week or so of commencing HRT.

Good luck!

Nicole

And a happy St. Pat's day to you!
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    To Lucy:
    I know nothing of Meredith's insurance coverage, but I can tell you a bit about my own.

The Mental-Health portion (gender clinic counseling) is mostly covered, I make a $15 co-payment for every session if I can go to a participating therapist. Insurance will only pay 75% of an out-of-network provider. I was paying $30 per session, as there were no qualified gender-clinics where I lived at the time. My health insurance covers all but the first $15 of doctor visits, including an annual comprehensive physical exam, laboratory work-ups, and most of my medications. I pay $10 for 90-days of generics, and $15 for 90-days of name-brand medications. (This is a really great deal for me!) My employer pays for most of my health insurance plan, I pay about $150 per month. I work for a very large company, about 40,000 employees.

But when it comes to surgical procedures, I'm all on my own, 100%
    I've had laser and electrolysis for hair removal, facial-feminization-surgery (FFS), breast augmentation, and a face lift (admittedly for vanity). I have yet to undergo SRS/GRS (or whatever they're calling it these days!) I'm debating on whether or not to follow through with SRS. I need to pick a surgeon, and get a place on their calendar. I just hope I have enough saved to keep out of debt.
  • March 17, 2007 10:43 PM GMT
    Hi Mere,
    That news is really great!!! Now if the insurance company will pick up
    at least part of the tab (wishful thinking).

Anyway, hope you and Lexi have a great time ahead.

One last thing.... just a reminder to work on that book you started.

Hugz,
    Michelle Lynn