Goth eyes

• 37 posts
    May 24, 2004 8:39 PM BST
    Does anyone have any tips on Goth eye make-up? I find it impossible to get an even and lasting black on my eye lids. Any top tips (especially ones that are easy to follow) gratefully received. xxx
  • June 15, 2004 4:46 PM BST
    well, I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier.. lol

The thing with gothic eye makeup, is that it tends to make the eye's look deper and mor pronaounced. In many people, this has the effect of making the eyes look bigger.

There is no lasting way of doing this, but you can do it in such a way as that as it wears off, you don't notice too much, and it's very simple.

All you do is use every goths favourite item, black eye-pencil. Use it very heavy and thick to line the eyelids on the surfaces that meet when you blink, right into the corners of the eye. I mean both eyelids. If you want to slightly darken the area around your eyes, which tends to be different for everyone (some peeps can do it, others it looks awfull on,) usually the area at the side of the bridge of the nose and onto both eylids, apply a little eye pencil, (but not a lot!) and use your finger to smudge it out untill it looks almost natural (or rather, more like supernatural. lol).

now, you may have to re-line the eyelids a few times before it's looks right, because what will happen, is that as it wears off, the eyeliner shifts to the area around the eyelashes, but in such a way that isn't easily done directly.

I mean, this is one way of doing it, but it won't work for everyone. In female makeup terms, the eyes will only ever look good if they match the rest of the face, and the design is suitable for the face itself. I only describe a simple(ish) way of doing it. It may in fact be only suitable for men, because it is as a man I tried this, but it might be worth a go.

The truth be known, the way I describe will produce gothic eye makeup, but it won't be spectacular. The best thing to do, is to look at pictures of gothic girls, in particular their faces, and practice. In that way, you'll learn to do it really well. It's better still if you can find a gothic girl who's willing to show you how.
    • 1198 posts
    June 27, 2004 3:17 PM BST
    Suzannah, just a thought ask nena or tallulah, they both like the goth scene they might be able to give you some handy tip's love jj xx
    • 37 posts
    June 27, 2004 5:41 PM BST
    Rhia,
    Thanks for the tips. It is always hard to put descriptions into practice, but I am pretty certain I can tell what you mean and will be giving it a go. Thanks for taking the time. It's much appreciated.

And thanks to you too Julie. I've messaged Nena and Tallulah and hope they'll let me into the secret of how they do their's so damn well.
  • June 27, 2004 6:45 PM BST
    no problem. I just hope it works for you as well as it did for me as a bloke. lol.