Use of Dutasteride as an anti-androgen

• October 12, 2011 12:08 PM BST

Firstly I would like to thank Layla for pointing me in the direction of this possible new drug.

Further research into the use of modern day pharmaceuticals for which act as potent anti-androgenic agents  has indicated that Dutasteride (trade name Avodart) is extremely effect in preventing the the formation of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) from any testosterone being generated in the adrenal glands (and the testes if pre SRS).

Dutasteride works by inhibiting two enzymes (enzymes are the body's own catalysts which convert one chemical in the body to another). Until now, the preferred anti-androgens were either one of the two Finasteride druges (Proscar or Propecia) or the now largely unused cyproterone acetate (Androcur).

How is Dutasteride different from Propecia?
    Both medicines work in a similar way. However, Dutasteride inhibits the activities of two types of 5-alpha-reductase enzymes. In contrast, Propecia (Finasteride) only inhibits one type. Dutasteride has been shown to decrease levels of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) by 90% after only two weeks, making it a more powerful and faster-acting weapon than Finasteride.

Dutasteride:
    Dutasteride has been granted FDA approval for it’s use in benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), Glaxo-Smith have not yet been granted approval for its use as a an anti-androgen for use in feminization in M2F transsexuals or as a hair restorative.
    Initial results of the use of Dutasteride (Avodart) have shown superior results to Propecia.  Early clinical trials have shown the following results:-
    Phase II study results at 24 weeks:(i)
              Placebo: - 32.3 hairs
              Finasteride 5 mg: + 75.6 hairs (Proscar)
              Dutasteride 0.1 mg: + 78.5 hairs
              Dutasteride 0.5 mg: + 94.6 hairs
              Dutasteride 2.5 mg: + 109.6 hairs

Which, for the high dosage is a 340% increase in hair renewal over the placebo (or 145% increase when compared to Finasteride).  This is reduced to a 125% increase for the medium dosage (0.5 mg) when compared to Finasteride.
    As is much more effective in the regeneration of scalp hair than Proscar or Propecia, this would indicate that it would also be far more effective than either Proscar or Propecia as a anti-androgen drug for M2F transsexuals

(i)Dutasteride information sheet at ( http://www.dutasteride.cc/dutasteride.html )

This post was edited by Former Member at October 12, 2011 12:15 PM BST
    • 134 posts
    October 12, 2011 4:57 PM BST

so is your interest in this drug mainly for hair restoration Carol? I notice you dont mention Testosterone being suppressed only DHT? I use Cyproterone Acetate & know it loweres my T level to below that of a GG woman ( Less than 2) I was taking Eyyhinyl Estardiol as my main estrogen but Ive read a lot of bad press on this so Ive recently started injecting Depot Progynon -

surprisingly there is very little pain involved!

Angel x

• October 12, 2011 6:00 PM BST

Hi Angela
    Whilst hair thickening is a welcome bonus obtained by the use of Dutasteride, the anti-androgenic benefits are my main priority.  The use of cyproterone acetate would appear to be decreasing because of its toxocology and replaced by the Finasteride containing drugs.  This is because they are thought to be far safer than other anti-androgenic drugs (but they must be kept well out of reach of genetic females because of possible damage to the foetus during a pregnancy).
    It is the dihydrotestosterone (DHT) produced from testosterone which is responsible for male sexual characteristics - so anything which acts to reduce the amount of DHT in the body is a good thing - for M2F transsexuals.  It's main side effects are things which we might consider beneficial - gynocomastia (breast enlargement), loss of libido.
    The TransGender Care Clinic in the US had a very good web site containing useful information about their practical experience of different drug regimes used for feminization of m2f transgendered people ( http://www.transgendercare.com/default.asp )

This post was edited by Former Member at October 12, 2011 6:03 PM BST
    • 25 posts
    October 12, 2011 11:21 PM BST

Hi there. I thought Spiro was the preferred anti-androgen, or am I out of date? Mel. x

• 364 posts
    October 13, 2011 6:21 AM BST

Hi

I am using bicalutide 50 - quarter tablet every 2 days

• 364 posts
    October 13, 2011 6:24 AM BST

sorry I meant bicalutamide 50

• October 13, 2011 10:27 AM BST

Hi Mel,
    Yes Spironolactone is still used (these days it would seem in conjunction with either Proscar or Propecia) if the people at TransGender Care are correct.  Many of these drugs were designed for the treatment of prostatic cancers - but were also found to have the anti-androgenic properties which we required and most of the newer ones were either more effective and had less toxicity and side effects of the older drugs such as cyproterone acetate.
    Because of it's ability to reduce the ability of two of the 5-alpha-reductase enzymes (which convert testosterone to the masculinizing dihydro testosterone) it is believed that Dutasteride would be far more potent in this respect - but I have no clinical trials evidence which have been done on transsexuals, thetrials don rgeading the hair regenerative properties of this drug would seem to indicate that this might eventually be the prefferd treatment because of its efficacy.

This post was edited by Former Member at October 13, 2011 10:37 AM BST
  • January 24, 2012 4:40 PM GMT
    Carol, I am taking finasteride for hair loss, male pattern baldness, Only having 1 mg per day, been on this now for two month, Getting some good results from this, new hair has started to show, at the front of my scalp, and the new hair is darker. I have also noticed when I shave my body hair takes longer to grow, tried topical minoxidil
    quite good but the finasteride seems to be working better for me, If anyone else has advice for me about hair restoration please reply to this post. Miss Woo. xxx
    • 746 posts
    February 17, 2012 10:41 AM GMT

Jane Jane...in addition to the Minoxidil and Finasteride (sp?), I use a laser comb 3x per week. This remarkable tool thickens those hairs you have and promotes dormant ones from their sleep to growth mode..it really is working well for me...after I use it for a 15 minute session, my hair feels a ton better...it is not cheap, but girl, it works! http://www.hairmax.com If you have any questions, drop me a note! Traci xoxo

This post was edited by Traci Lee O'Gara at February 17, 2012 10:42 AM GMT