Estrogen safety

• 3 posts
    November 7, 2011 7:10 AM GMT

For over thirty years I was on Premarin. Two years ago I went to a new endocrinologist who was adament that I stop Premarin and use estrogen patches. She said that premarin causes clots while the patches bypass the liver and do not have that bad side affect. My problem is that I developed an allergy to the adhesive in the patches and cannot use them. Any advice on this matter would be very helpful.

Elaine

• November 7, 2011 9:26 AM GMT

Hi Elaine,

Oestradiol-based formulations are naturally occurring oestrogen (17ß oestradiol). They include:
    – oestradiol patches (best for those over 40, smokers or those with circulatory problems; least risk)
    oestradiol gel (applied to skin; also low risk)
    – oestradiol/oestradiol valerate (taken in pill form; some risk)

The above was taken from the NHS Booklet - A Guide to Hormone Therapy for Trans People.  So you might like to suggest trying the gel based medication

http://www.dh.gov.uk/dr_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/documents/digitalasset/dh_081582.pdf

This post was edited by Former Member at November 9, 2011 8:37 AM GMT
    • 3 posts
    November 9, 2011 3:56 AM GMT

Thanks Carol

This post was edited by Elaine Burns at November 9, 2011 3:57 AM GMT
    • 3 posts
    November 9, 2011 3:59 AM GMT

Carol,

Can you resend that quote reference on Estrogen safety. I could not reach that site and this info is so important for me. Thanks

• November 9, 2011 8:35 AM GMT

( http://www.dh.gov.uk/dr_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/documents/digitalasset/dh_081582.pdf )

Don't know why it doesn't work (it doesn't for me neither now - yet if I copy the link and then paste it into my browser, it works fine.  Formatted it slightly differently this time in the hopes it will work as a clickable link.

• November 9, 2011 8:39 AM GMT

Ah, just found out the reason why it didn't work - if you click on the original one it had the invisible tag [span] at the end of it.  I have edited the originl one now so that one should work also.