TS to sue NHS for refusing breast augmentation surgery

• December 28, 2011 4:25 PM GMT

A transsexual builder who had a £60,000 sex change is suing health bosses after they refused her a breast enlargement operation on the NHS.  Cathy Daniels - born Keith Daniels - wants taxpayers to fund the £5,000 procedure but her GP will not refer her.  The 53-year-old father-of-three, who had gender realignment surgery two years ago, wants the surgery to fully complete her sex change.

She plans to take legal action because without breasts she feels 'half man, half woman'.

Read more and view readers comments at: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2079335/Transsexual-builder-60-000-sex-change-sue-health-bosses-refusing-breast-implants-NHS.html#ixzz1hqZL3s75

This post was edited by Former Member at December 28, 2011 4:26 PM GMT
  • December 29, 2011 7:12 PM GMT
    the person is half man but I have to think 60k is a bit of exagerration.
    legally NHS hasn't a leg to stand on over the boob job.
  • December 30, 2011 11:54 AM GMT

When they can refuse genuine women breast augmentation surgery - even if they have a genuine reason, then they can refuse to do it in our case Rose.  Unfortunately there is only a certain amount of money that the NHS has available to it - and I personally would much prefer this to be spent on life saving treatments than on cosmetic surgery.

Yes, I confess I had my SRS on the NHS and they do continue to fund my hormone treatments, but other surgeries which I considered less vital, I self funded by working hard and saving for them - as most of us have.

If we want society to be more accepting of us, then we all have to contribute something back into society, rather than take, take take all the time, shouting that "it's our right", stories like these only serve to reduce our standing in the eyes of ordinary hard working people.  If we want acceptance, let us earn it.

• December 30, 2011 12:38 PM GMT
    you need to get all the others who rip the NHS off to stop doing so before asaying BA shouldn't be provided as in fact the EU legisaltion says it shoud be and the fact that my town makes it available automatically shows it should be available all over UK
    • 146 posts
    December 30, 2011 2:37 PM GMT
    I think Carole is right on this , . My reaction to the story is OH dear , another media stir to give the wrong impression about trans people to the general public...as spongers. The more balanced truth that a greater number of trans people discreetly seek and fund their transistions privately , and wish just to be contributing members of society .
    • 1652 posts
    December 30, 2011 3:24 PM GMT
    I wish I could give her 5 grand to do something with her hair.
    xx
  • December 30, 2011 4:45 PM GMT
    Yes, that would make her feel a lot more feminine about herself Lucy, although I am sure there would be a hairdressing course at a local college where she could go and get her hair properly styled at reasonably low cost.
    • 434 posts
    January 19, 2012 4:06 AM GMT
    Although I don't live in the UK... I think that some people think that the "State" owes them everything...
  • January 19, 2012 8:42 AM GMT
    Donna, in tenms of the taxes we pay and the high prices we have then the state definitely does us us something...try paying $9.50 fo rpetrol and see how that puts up the ocst of living and gives the Government the tax it needs to give us things we can't afford to pay for ourselves.
    • 434 posts
    January 19, 2012 8:15 PM GMT

and how much did the SRS cost...? We pay ~$6.00/gallon here, have far greater distances to drive, and our "Public Transit" is almost non-existent. My point was...does EVERYTHING have to be provided by the Government? From what I see, the UK (and the EU) are staggering under economic pressures...much of that caused by "Social Payments" and Bureaucrats. A famous US President once stated.."ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country." And I am not even an American...

This post was edited by Doanna Highland at January 19, 2012 8:16 PM GMT