First Doctor Visit Questions

• 28 posts
    January 21, 2012 10:54 PM GMT

So I'm finally going to the doctors to inform her of my desire to finally follow my heart and transition m/f.

Has anyone got any suggestions of how to approach this?I'm both scared and excited.Definitely both.

Any particular questions and or blood work-up I should ensure she attends to?

Or should I just (for once) put my trust in her knowledge and care?

Please any support will be lovingly received.

• 364 posts
    January 22, 2012 4:08 AM GMT
    Is the doctor experienced in transgender matters ?
    • 28 posts
    January 22, 2012 8:35 AM GMT
    I do have to ask her that.I've only seen her once before when I first moved to this area 2 years ago.
    • 146 posts
    January 22, 2012 10:17 PM GMT
    Hi Collette , Not sure how the health system works in the US, and how Centralised it is with respect to standards of care for people presenting themselves as transgendered. For me in UK , before first visit to Doctor I could refer to the National Health services website, and find a few pdfs , which tell you what the doctor should be aware of. I went on the first visit en femme, but of course they called me in the waiting room by my legal name[male], these are minor things and they are going to happen from time to time. Regarding blood tests ,etc its your health ,and make sure you get your doctors understanding. I found a better reaction developing the more times I went to the doctor. And BTW I dont know how it is in US and whether you have considered this , but once I declared myself as Transgendered to the doctor locally all following treatments appointments I was dealt with as female.So it can feel things get pretty public . In my case meaning [early in transistion] I went to a busy hospital to have some blood vessels in my nose Cauterised.Its all a learning experience. Good luck
    • 28 posts
    January 23, 2012 1:41 PM GMT
    Thank you Donna for your lovely response.I will see if there is a similar list of doctors experience online here in the USA.I'm sure there is.