Ken Livingstone on Transgender Policies in London

• March 14, 2012 4:35 PM GMT

Article by Natacha Kennedy

More than a year ago, at an LGB&T Labour London meeting I asked Ken Livingstone what he would do for the growing trans community in London.

He answered much more honestly than I expected from any politician. He said he didn’t know much about trans issues but was willing to listen and learn.

I expected to hear nothing more of it but a few weeks ago I was contacted by one of his aides and asked, along with other trans people, to tell him the sorts of things we would like to see in his manifesto.

Of course many of his policies will benefit everyone, whether they are trans or not, like his promise to cut public transport fares, campaigning for equal marriage and his promises on law and order.

However there are some trans-specific ones, which will be in his Trans Action Plan for London.

» Most importantly, it will try to mitigate the worst effects of the government’s disastrous NHS privatization. Local commissioning makes the postcode lottery much worse, hitting trans people hard. In order to try and prevent this from happening he will instigate a monitoring system to keep an eye on trans health services and commissioning in London.

» A focus on housing will try and reduce the discrimination trans people face when trying to find accommodation, and policies to make sure trans people are included in diversity training for a range of professionals in London including the police and teachers.

» He will also expect companies doing business with the Greater London Authority to have proper trans-inclusive equality practices. A trans-inclusive charter mark for businesses in London is something will be explored, as will support for trans and LGB&T businesses.

» Ken has said he will not only invite trans people to hold the Trans Day of Remembrance at City Hall but would like to hold a more positive celebration of trans people as well.

He will also make sure that the significant contribution the GLA makes to London Pride is used to hold them to account and become properly inclusive of trans people.

Of course there are limits to the Mayor of London’s powers but it will be good to have him prepared to work to the maximum extent of these rather than the minimum, which is what we currently have.

Trans people experience a great deal of job insecurity, unemployment and other problems associated with their identities, even including what might appear to be minor things such as dealing with the Post Office.

The experience has shown me that Ken Livingstone is genuine about being the most trans-supportive politician this country has ever seen.

Original article at:- http://liberalconspiracy.org/2012/03/13/ken-to-develop-policies-for-london-trans-community/

This post was edited by Former Member at March 14, 2012 4:36 PM GMT