hormone help needed

• March 28, 2012 6:33 PM BST

hi i have been to see my gp today due to migraines getting worse 

ive been on hormones for around 11 years and ive been told today that i should come off the patches (hormone) that im on due to my migraines getting worse according to my gp he as said that i can come off patches and eventually stop using hormones by the time im 50 but ive heard on the grape vine so to speak that i will have to stay on patches for the rest of my life 

i am however going to stop taking the patches for 3 weeks and also going to keep a migraine diary to see how the migraines go but as anyone got any advice please on my doctors visit 

would really appreciate ur help

regards and many thanks in desperate need of help

corina

• 1652 posts
    March 28, 2012 7:10 PM BST
    I can't offer advice, but maybe some thoughts.
    Firstly I'd be very surprised if hormone patches are causing your migraines to become worse. Why your GP thinks there is a link after 11 years is a mystery. If the migraines don't get any better is he going to let you go back on the patches?
    Are you post-op, Corina? If so it might be best to stay on at least a low dose of oestrogen. If you are post-op, ask your doctor about potential risks of osteoporosis given that your body does not make hormones in significant quantities any more. If you're not planning SRS there is no "physical" need for you to stay on oestrogen, but any full-time trans woman has a right to be prescribed hormones, and if it was me I would be insisting that this "experiment" of coming off hormones should not be permanent.
    There is so little danger associated with using patches that there is no need for you to stop them at any age.
    Frankly, I don't know what your doctor is thinking. Suggesting that the patches may be causing the migraines seems like a wild stab in the dark to me.
    xx