Trans Mental Health and Well-Being Survey

• April 26, 2012 10:46 PM BST

Calling all trans people - please take part in this survey organised by the Scottish Transgender Alliance, Trans Bare All and Trec

Why Are We Doing This Research?

There has been very little research about trans people, or people with trans histories, and their well-being. What there is suggests that trans people have worse mental health and life satisfaction than many others, but it is not clear why.

We think that trans well-being and mental health are very complicated, because trans people have to go through a lot of things that other people don’t experience, and these issues can all affect well-being and mental health.

Where did this survey come from?

This survey was designed by researchers with trans identities or trans histories. It has NOT come from medics or people from Gender Identity Clinics.

This survey is a partnership between
    Scottish Transgender Alliance
    Trans Resource and Empowerment Centre
    TransBareAll
    and Sheffield Hallam University.

The questions have been checked by an advisory group of professionals and researchers (many with trans identities or trans histories), and other people with relevant experiences.

To take part please go to:- https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/transmentalhealth

• 15 posts
    April 27, 2012 3:13 PM BST
    That took a long time, but was very interesting to do. I urge others to take part.
  • April 27, 2012 3:23 PM BST
    Yes, it was very detailed Erica and thank you for taking part. The more that is known about health problems which can affect trans people more than the general population, the better the knowledge the medical profession will have about our needs.
    • 15 posts
    April 27, 2012 8:58 PM BST
    I agree on the importance of the research. In addition, many of the questions forced me to think hard about my own experience as well, which I did not expect.
  • April 28, 2012 9:10 AM BST
    there is already a ton of info about the generally good mental health of TS.
    we could do with a survey that shows the mental health of the typical transphobic person and especially the journalists and scriptwiriters.
  • April 28, 2012 9:52 AM BST
    I think if there were tons of it Rose, it would not have obtained the necessary funding from Sheffield University
    • 30 posts
    April 29, 2012 5:22 PM BST
    I have just finished the survey it is well worth completing.
  • April 30, 2012 2:39 PM BST

I just thought that I would post this response from somebody on Facebook to help address some of the views expressed here:-

"Hi Folks, Just to add my two-penneth worth. I have done the survey and yes it is long but the reason for this I think is because the organisers are trying to compensate for the fact that there's so little other good data out there. One of the problems in my job is that we know there's lots of issues for trans people but our opponents always come back with: 'where's the evidence?' and we are often working in a real evidence vacuum. This survey could really help to fill some of those gaps. I also think it's important to acknowledge that the people involved in this are largely volunteers putting in their time to do this important work, with very few resources. I therefore think it would be great if the trans community could show them that we appreciate what they are trying to do. Yes, it is long but you can keep it shorter if you stick to the tick boxes. I personally found it quite good in helping me to reflect and get some perspective on some the issues. So come on folks, do what you can, take a bit of time to do the survey and tell your friends and contacts too. Let's really get the evidence together so we can keep on fighting for what we need."

This post was edited by Former Member at April 30, 2012 2:39 PM BST
    • 214 posts
    May 1, 2012 8:34 AM BST
    Yes It is long but at least you can take a break without loosing any thing-- I got there in the end